Coefficient in a Laurent Expansion in terms of an Integral

In summary, the coefficient of the $z$-term in the Laurent expansion of $f(z)$ about $z=0$ is given by
shen07
Hi guys, i need your help to go about his question,

Question:

$$\text{Show that the coefficient }C_n \text{in the Laurent expansion of }$$
$$f(z)=(z+\frac{1}{z}) \text{ about z=0 is given by}$$
$$C_n=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_0 \cos(2cos(\theta))cos(n\theta)\, d\theta ,n\in\mathbb{z}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
shen07 said:
Hi guys, i need your help to go about his question,

Question:

$$\text{Show that the coefficient }C_n \text{in the Laurent expansion of }$$
$$f(z)=(z+\frac{1}{z}) \text{ about z=0 is given by}$$
$$C_n=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_0 \cos(2cos(\theta))cos(n\theta)\, d\theta ,n\in\mathbb{z}$$

the function is actually $$f(z)=cos(z+z^{-1})$$

shen07 said:
the function is actually $$f(z)=cos(z+z^{-1})$$

Hi shen07,

Perhaps you can start by filling in your function into the formula for the Laurent series coefficients?
The formula is:
$$C_n=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_\gamma \frac{f(z)\,\mathrm{d}z}{(z-c)^{n+1}}$$
where the function f(z) is expanded around c and $\gamma$ is a closed counter clockwise curve around c.

Let $\gamma$ be the unit circle.

Then since $\gamma$ lies in a annulus in which $ \displaystyle \cos \left( z + \frac{1}{z} \right)$ is analytic,

$ \displaystyle C_{n} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{\gamma} \frac{\cos (z + \frac{1}{z})}{z^{n+1}} \ dz = \frac{1}{4 \pi i} \int_{\gamma} \frac{e^{i(z + \frac{1}{z})} + e^{-i(z+ \frac{1}{z})}}{z^{n+1}} \ dz $

Parametrize the contour by letting $z = e^{i \theta}$.

$\displaystyle = \frac{1}{4 \pi i} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \frac{e^{i (e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta})} + e^{i(e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta})}}{e^{i(n+1)\theta}} i e^{i\theta} \ d \theta = \frac{1}{4 \pi} \int_{- \pi}^{\pi} \frac{e^{i (2 \cos \theta)} + e^{-i(2 \cos \theta)}}{e^{i n \theta}} \ d \theta$

$ = \displaystyle \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \cos(2 \cos \theta) e^{-i n \theta} \ d \theta = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \cos(2 \cos \theta) \cos(n \theta)$ since the imaginary part of the integrand is odd

$ \displaystyle = \frac{(-1)^{n}}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \cos(2 \cos u) \cos(n u) \ du$

But since the integral is zero when $n$ is odd,

$ \displaystyle C_{n} = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \cos(2 \cos u) \cos(n u) \ \ du$

Random Variable said:
$ \displaystyle = \frac{(-1)^{n}}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \cos(2 \cos u) \cos(n u) \ du$

But since the integral is zero when $n$ is odd,

How did you deduce that the integral is zero ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
How did you deduce that the integral is zero ?

I used magic. And by "magic" I mean Maple.

Here's an indirect argument.Let $n$ be an odd integer.$ \displaystyle C_{n} = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{\cos (z+ \frac{1}{z})}{z^{n+1}} \ dx = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \text{Re} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{e^{i(z+\frac{1}{z})}}{z^{n+1}} \ dz = \text{Re} \ \text{Res}\Big[ \frac{e^{i(z+\frac{1}{z})}}{z^{n+1}},0 \Big]$$ \displaystyle \frac{e^{i(z+\frac{1}{z})}}{z^{n+1}} = \frac{1}{z^{n+1}} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{[i(z+\frac{1}{z})]^{k}}{k!}= \frac{1}{z^{n+1}} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{i^{k}}{k!} \sum_{m=0}^{k} \binom{k}{m} z^{m} \left(\frac{1}{z} \right)^{k-m} $

$ \displaystyle = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{i^{k}}{k!} \sum_{m=0}^{k} \binom{k}{m} z^{2m-k-n-1} $We want to the know the coefficient of the $\displaystyle \frac{1}{z}$ term.

So we're only interested when $ \displaystyle m = \frac{k+n}{2}$.

But since $n$ is assumed to be odd, $k$ must also be odd.

But if $k$ can only assume odd values, then every term of the series is imaginary. So $C_{n}$ must be zero when $n$ is odd.

Another way would be using

\(\displaystyle \cos(z+z^{-1}) = \cos(z) \cos\left(\frac{1}{z}\right)-\sin(z) \sin \left( \frac{1}{z}\right)=\left(1-\frac{z^2}{2!}+\frac{z^4}{4!}+\cdots \right)\left(1-\frac{1}{2!\,z^2}+\frac{1}{4!\,z^4}+\cdots \right)-\left(z-\frac{z^3}{3!}+\frac{z^5}{5!}\cdots \right)\left(\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{3!\,z^3}+\frac{1}{5!\,z^5}+\cdots \right)\)

Evidently all the terms are even . Another way would be using Cauchy product formula.

Related to Coefficient in a Laurent Expansion in terms of an Integral

1. What is a coefficient in a Laurent expansion?

A coefficient in a Laurent expansion is a numerical value that is multiplied by a power of a variable in a Laurent series. It is used to represent the terms in a Laurent series, which is a mathematical series that represents a complex function as a sum of a power series and a Laurent series.

2. How is a Laurent expansion related to an integral?

A Laurent expansion is related to an integral through the Cauchy Integral Formula, which states that the coefficient of the term with the power of -1 in a Laurent series can be found by integrating the function along a closed contour surrounding the singularity. This is known as the Cauchy Integral Formula for coefficients.

3. How do you calculate the coefficient in a Laurent expansion?

The coefficient in a Laurent expansion can be calculated by using the Cauchy Integral Formula. This involves finding the residue of the function at the singularity, which is the coefficient of the term with the power of -1 in the Laurent series. The residue can be found by evaluating the function at the singularity or by using other techniques such as the method of partial fractions.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient in a Laurent expansion?

The coefficient in a Laurent expansion is significant because it represents the value of the function at the singularity. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the function near the singularity, as the coefficient can reveal information about the poles and their orders. Additionally, the coefficient can also be used to calculate integrals of the function using the Cauchy Integral Formula.

5. Can a Laurent expansion have both positive and negative powers?

Yes, a Laurent expansion can have both positive and negative powers. This is what distinguishes it from a power series, which only has positive powers. A Laurent series can represent functions that have both isolated singularities and essential singularities, which require both positive and negative powers in their series representation.