Do Commuting Linear Integral Operators Share Eigenfunctions and Eigenvalues?

• MHB
  • Thread starter sarrah1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, linear integral operators do not necessarily have the same eigenfunctions or eigenvalues, and the concept of inverse eigenvalues does not directly apply to them.
sarrah1
I have two linear integral operators

$Ky=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,s)y(s)ds$

$Ly=\int_{a}^{b} \,l(x,s)y(s)ds$

their kernels commute

Do they have same eigenfunctions like matrices and for instance in this case their product is the product of their eigenvalues. I am poorly read in operator theory but well read in matrices. Does the inverse of one has inverse eigenvalues
thanks
Sarrah

Physics news on Phys.org
A:The answer to your question is no.Let $K$ and $L$ be the operators you describe in your question, and let $\lambda$ be an eigenvalue of $K$ with eigenvector $v$. Then, by definition, $Kv = \lambda v$. However, it does not follow that $Lv = \lambda v$; in particular, it is not necessarily true that $Lv$ will have the same eigenvalue as $Kv$. It is possible that $Lv$ has the same eigenvalue as $Kv$, but there is no general guarantee that this is the case.In fact, in many cases it is possible to construct explicit examples of two linear integral operators $K$ and $L$ for which their kernels commute, but for which $K$ and $L$ do not have the same eigenfunctions and/or eigenvalues. For instance, let $k(x,s) = s^2$ and $l(x,s) = x^2$. It is straightforward to check that the kernels of $K$ and $L$ commute, but $K$ and $L$ do not have the same eigenfunctions (nor the same eigenvalues).

As an internet forum user, I am unable to provide a comprehensive answer to your question about linear integral operators. However, I can offer some insights based on my understanding of operator theory.

Firstly, let's define some terms for clarity. A linear integral operator is a mathematical operator that maps a function to another function by integrating the function with a given kernel. In your case, the kernels are represented by the functions k(x,s) and l(x,s), and the functions being operated on are represented by y(s).

Now, to answer your question about the eigenfunctions of these linear integral operators. Generally, the eigenfunctions of an operator are defined as the functions that, when operated on by the operator, produce a scalar multiple of themselves. In the case of matrices, the eigenfunctions are the eigenvectors. However, for linear integral operators, the concept of eigenfunctions is not as straightforward.

In some cases, linear integral operators may have eigenfunctions that behave similarly to eigenvectors. These eigenfunctions are known as eigenfunctions in the generalized sense. However, not all linear integral operators have eigenfunctions in the generalized sense. In fact, even if two linear integral operators have the same eigenfunctions, they may not have the same eigenvalues.

As for your question about the product of eigenvalues, it is important to note that the product of eigenvalues for matrices only applies to diagonalizable matrices. This concept does not directly translate to linear integral operators.

In regards to the inverse of one operator having inverse eigenvalues, this is not a general rule. The concept of inverse eigenvalues is not applicable to linear integral operators in the same way it is for matrices.

In conclusion, while there may be some similarities between matrices and linear integral operators, it is important to understand that they are different mathematical objects with their own unique properties and concepts. I would recommend further reading and studying on operator theory to gain a better understanding of these concepts.

Related to Do Commuting Linear Integral Operators Share Eigenfunctions and Eigenvalues?

1. What is commutativity of operators?

Commutativity of operators refers to the property of two operators to be able to switch places without affecting the outcome of a mathematical operation. In other words, the order in which the operators are applied does not change the result.

2. How do you test for commutativity of operators?

To test for commutativity of operators, you can perform a simple calculation using the operators in different orders and comparing the results. If the results are the same, the operators are commutative. Another way is to use algebraic manipulation to see if the order of the operators can be rearranged without changing the outcome.

3. What are some examples of commutative operators?

Examples of commutative operators include addition, multiplication, and logical AND and OR. For instance, in arithmetic, 2 + 3 = 3 + 2 and 2 x 3 = 3 x 2. In logic, the statement "if it is raining and I have an umbrella, then I won't get wet" is equivalent to "if I have an umbrella and it is raining, then I won't get wet."

4. Are all operators commutative?

No, not all operators are commutative. Subtraction, division, and logical implication are examples of non-commutative operators. For instance, 2 - 3 is not the same as 3 - 2, and "if it is raining, then I won't get wet" is not the same as "if I won't get wet, then it is raining."

5. What is the significance of commutativity of operators in mathematics?

Commutativity of operators is an important property in mathematics as it allows for simpler calculations and makes it easier to derive mathematical relationships. It also allows for the use of symmetry and patterns to solve problems. Commutativity is also closely related to the concept of equivalence, which is crucial in many mathematical concepts and proofs.