Compact Sets - Simple question about their nature .... ....

In summary, compact sets in a metric space are finite if and only if the space has the usual topology.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Just a simple question regarding the nature of a compact set X in a metric space S:

Does X necessarily have to be infinite?

That is, are compact sets necessarily infinite?

Peter***EDIT***

Although I am most unsure about this it appears to me that a finite set can be compact since the set \(\displaystyle A \subset \mathbb{R}\) where \(\displaystyle A = \{ 1,2,3 \}\) is bounded and is also closed (since it contains all its limit points - it doesn't have any!) ...

I am most unsure of my example above, but cannot see the error in my analysis ... ...

Hope someone can clarify the above situation in the example ... ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Compact sets can be finite or infinite, it doesn't mind.

But, when you are working in $\Bbb{R}^{n}$ with the usual topology every finite set is compact, so it's something more or less "trivial".

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

Compact sets can be finite or infinite, it doesn't mind.

But, when you are working in $\Bbb{R}^{n}$ with the usual topology every finite set is compact, so it's something more or less "trivial".

Thanks so much for your help, Fallen Angel ... ...

Thanks also for pointing out that the statement that all finite sets are compact is compact only applies in certain spaces like \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^n\) with the usual topology ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

I haven't said that =P

In fact, finite sets are compact in every topological space, maybe I should have explained this, sorry for the missunderstanding.

Peter said:
Thanks so much for your help, Fallen Angel ... ...

Thanks also for pointing out that the statement that all finite sets are compact is compact only applies in certain spaces like \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^n\) with the usual topology ...

Peter
A subspace $S$ of a topological space $X$ is compact if and only if every open cover of $S$ admits a finite subcover.

From here it immediately follows that every finite subspace of a topological space is compact.

caffeinemachine said:
A subspace $S$ of a topological space $X$ is compact if and only if every open cover of $S$ admits a finite subcover.

From here it immediately follows that every finite subspace of a topological space is compact.
Thanks caffeinemachine ... Appreciate your help ...

... But I am unsure why every open cover admitting a finite cover means the set is finite ...

Can you help?

Peter

Peter, you're thinking of the reverse implication: compact sets are finite. This is not true in general. Rather, you're trying to show that every finite subset $S$ of a toplogical space $X$ is compact. To do this, let $\mathcal{U}$ be an open covering of $S$. For sake of argument, let $S = \{s_1,\ldots, s_n\}$. Let $U_1,\ldots, U_n$ be elements of $\mathcal{U}$ such that $s_i \in U_i$ for $i = 1,2\ldots, n$. Then $\{U_1,\ldots, U_n\}$ is a finite subcover of $S$. Since $\mathcal{U}$ was arbitrary, $S$ is compact.

The following result is true: every compact discrete space is finite. To see this, let $X$ be a compact discrete space. Since $X$ is discrete, the singleton $\{x\}$ is open for all $x\in X$. Hence, the collection $\mathcal{U} = \{\{x\} : x\in X\}$ is an open covering of $X$. Since $X$ is compact, there exist points $x_1,\ldots, x_n \in X$ such that $X \subseteq \{x_1\} \cup \cdots \cup \{x_n\}$. Hence, $X = \{x_1,\ldots, x_n\}$.

Euge said:
Peter, you're thinking of the reverse implication: compact sets are finite. This is not true in general. Rather, you're trying to show that every finite subset $S$ of a toplogical space $X$ is compact. To do this, let $\mathcal{U}$ be an open covering of $S$. For sake of argument, let $S = \{s_1,\ldots, s_n\}$. Let $U_1,\ldots, U_n$ be elements of $\mathcal{U}$ such that $s_i \in U_i$ for $i = 1,2\ldots, n$. Then $\{U_1,\ldots, U_n\}$ is a finite subcover of $S$. Since $\mathcal{U}$ was arbitrary, $S$ is compact.

The following result is true: every compact discrete space is finite. To see this, let $X$ be a compact discrete space. Since $X$ is discrete, the singleton $\{x\}$ is open for all $x\in X$. Hence, the collection $\mathcal{U} = \{\{x\} : x\in X\}$ is an open covering of $X$. Since $X$ is compact, there exist points $x_1,\ldots, x_n \in X$ such that $X \subseteq \{x_1\} \cup \cdots \cup \{x_n\}$. Hence, $X = \{x_1,\ldots, x_n\}$.
Thanks for for that clarification, Euge ...

Extremely helpful as usual ...

Peter

Related to Compact Sets - Simple question about their nature .... ....

What is a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that is both closed and bounded. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of sets under certain conditions.

How do you determine if a set is compact?

A set is compact if it satisfies the Heine-Borel property, which states that a subset of a metric space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This means that every open cover of the set has a finite subcover.

What is the significance of compact sets?

Compact sets have many important properties and are used in various areas of mathematics, including topology, analysis, and geometry. They allow for the study of functions and sequences in a more structured and manageable way.

Can a set be both compact and unbounded?

No, a set cannot be both compact and unbounded. This is because the Heine-Borel property requires a set to be bounded in order to be considered compact.

What is the difference between a compact set and a closed set?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that is both closed and bounded, while a closed set is a subset of a metric space that contains all of its limit points. A compact set is always closed, but a closed set is not necessarily compact.