Comparing tensors at different points

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in uniquely moving a vector from one tangent space to another on a curved manifold, with the result depending on the chosen path. It is noted that if the two points are in the same local convex neighborhood, there is only one unique geodesic between them, but this method is not commonly used as it does not satisfy the requirement for comparisons to imply an equivalence relation.
Pencilvester
Hello PF, I have a question about comparing tensors at different points. Carroll says, “there is no natural way to uniquely move a vector from one tangent space to another; we can always parallel-transport it, but the result depends on the path, and there is no natural choice of which path to take.” I understand that this is the general case for any two points on a curved manifold, but what if we limit ourselves with the requirement that the two points be in the same local convex neighborhood? If there’s only one unique geodesic between the two points, that seems like a pretty natural preferred path to me. So is there a reason that this method isn’t used (at least for points in the same local convex neighborhood)? Or is this method used, and I just haven’t read about it yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pencilvester said:
I understand that this is the general case for any two points on a curved manifold, but what if we limit ourselves with the requirement that the two points be in the same local convex neighborhood?
Not unless the curvature is zero in that neighbourhood.

Pencilvester said:
If there’s only one unique geodesic between the two points, that seems like a pretty natural preferred path to me.
If you only had two points, that would be natural. But you do not have only two points and typically you would like comparisons to imply an equivalence relation, i.e., if ##A_p \in V_p##, where ##V_p## is one of the tensor spaces at ##p##, then if ##A_p \sim A_q## and ##A_q \sim A_r##, then ##A_p \sim A_r##. This generally does not hold if you use the geodesic between ##p## and ##q## to define the relation between ##V_p## and ##V_q##, etc., simply because the geodesic from ##p## to ##r## does not need to be the composition of the geodesics from ##p## to ##q## and from ##q## to ##r##.

Likes Pencilvester and Dale
Orodruin said:
if ##A_p \in V_p##, where ##V_p## is one of the tensor spaces at ##p##, then if ##A_p \sim A_q## and ##A_q \sim A_r##, then ##A_p \sim A_r##. This generally does not hold if you use the geodesic between ##p## and ##q## to define the relation between ##V_p## and ##V_q##, etc., simply because the geodesic from ##p## to ##r## does not need to be the composition of the geodesics from ##p## to ##q## and from ##q## to ##r##.
Makes sense, thanks!

Related to Comparing tensors at different points

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between vectors and scalars in a geometric space. It is represented by a multi-dimensional array of numbers and can have different orders or ranks depending on the number of dimensions it has.

2. What does it mean to compare tensors at different points?

Comparing tensors at different points means comparing the values of a tensor at different locations or coordinates in a given space. This can help us understand how the tensor changes or behaves in different regions of the space.

3. How is tensor comparison useful in scientific research?

Tensor comparison is useful in scientific research because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems in different regions of space. It can also help us identify patterns and relationships between different variables in a system.

4. Can tensors be compared in different coordinate systems?

Yes, tensors can be compared in different coordinate systems as long as the tensors are defined in the same space. However, the values of the tensors may differ depending on the coordinate system used.

5. What are some common methods for comparing tensors at different points?

Some common methods for comparing tensors at different points include calculating the difference between the tensors, computing the Euclidean distance between the tensors, and using statistical measures such as correlation or covariance to compare the tensors.