Complex Analysis - Fibonacci Identity

In summary: and the limiting ratio test gives us$$r^{-1}\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left|\frac{f_{n+1}}{f_n}\right|=\phi$$
Physics-Pure
Hey guys~
I was looking for a way to derive a formula for fn (the nth term in the fibonacci sequence). While looking for this, I came across a potential solution using the residue theorem.
Using the generating function Ʃk≥0 fnzn, find the identity for fn.
The problem looks like the right thumbnail.
Also, it can be found here on page 106: http://www.math.binghamton.edu/sabalka/teaching/09Spring375/Chapter10.pdf

I personally do not understand how using the suggested hint will bring you to a formula for fn.
I know that one must Recall Cauchy's integral formula to relate the integral to the value of fn.

Also, will the resulting identity simply be Binet's formula? Thanks all,
Physics-Pure

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    1.4 KB · Views: 433
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.7 KB · Views: 458
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone knows where to find the solution set, that would also be appreciated. It isn't homework related, simply for fun.

Yes that is Binet's formula.

[tex]A=(z^{n+1}(1-z-z^2))^{-1} \\
f_n=^\mathrm{Res}_{z=0}A=\left(^\mathrm{Res}_{z=-\phi}A+^\mathrm{Res}_{z=0}A+^\mathrm{Res}_{z=1-\phi}A \right)-^\mathrm{Res}_{z=-\phi}A-^\mathrm{Res}_{z=1-\phi}A=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint \! A \mathrm \,{dz}-^\mathrm{Res}_{z=-\phi}A-^\mathrm{Res}_{z=1-\phi}A=-^\mathrm{Res}_{z=-\phi}A-^\mathrm{Res}_{z=1-\phi}A
[/tex]

The gain here is the residue at zero is complicated, while the two others lead easily to Binet's formula.

First off, where does the z^n+1 come from?
But I believe I understand the rest now.

z^(n-1) is part of the usual formula to extract coefficients from a power series.

[tex]1=^\mathrm{Res}_{z=0}z^{-1}\\
a_n=^\mathrm{Res}_{z=0} \frac{1}{z^{n+1}}\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_n z^n[/tex]

Ahh, I understand. Now why did you put -phi and 1-phi instead of phi and conjuagte phi?

Why would dividing by z^(n+1) extract the a_nth term?

-phi and 1-phi are the roots of 1-z-z^2
phi and conjuagte phi are the roots of 1-z+z^2
It works out the same in the end.

Dividing by z^(n+1) makes the z^n term into z^-1, the residue is the coefficient of z^-1.

Alright. Can you also tell me why it's even useful to show that it has a positive radius of convergence? And how to do so?

Why is it even relevant to the question at hand?

The positive radius of convergence can be found many ways including by the ratio test if you can find the limiting ratio. A positive radius of convergence tells us F is nonsingular at z=0 which we use in extracting the coefficients. If F had a pole we would need to ajust the coefficients, if F had an essential singularity it might be much harder.

"phi and conjuagte phi are the roots of 1-z+z^2
It works out the same in the end."
Why does it work out the same in the end?

Another approach is that of describing the regression as a matrix, and then diagonalizing the matrix ( not too hard to show it is diagonalizable). That gives you a closed form for the n-th term.

[tex]
f_n=^\mathrm{Res}_{z=0}(z^{n+1}(1-z-z^2))^{-1}=^\mathrm{Res}_{z=0}((-z)^{n+1}(-1-z+z^2))^{-1}[/tex]

so it does not make much difference. It is just a change of variable between z and -z.

Would you mind showing the work required for (1)? Using the ratio test

[tex]r^{-1}=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left|\frac{f_{n+1}}{f_n}\right|=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left|\frac{f_n+f_{n-1}}{f_n}\right|=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left|1+\frac{f_{n-1}}{f_n}\right|= 1+\phi^{-1}=\phi \\ r=\phi^{-1}[/tex]

provided we know
$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{f_{n+1}}{f_n}=\phi$$

Related to Complex Analysis - Fibonacci Identity

1. What is the Fibonacci Identity?

The Fibonacci Identity is a mathematical relationship between the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio. It states that the ratio of two consecutive Fibonacci numbers approaches the golden ratio as the sequence progresses.

2. What is the significance of the Fibonacci Identity?

The Fibonacci Identity has many applications in different areas of mathematics, including number theory, geometry, and even in the study of plant growth patterns. It also has connections to other mathematical concepts, such as the Lucas sequence and the Pell numbers.

3. How is the Fibonacci Identity derived?

The Fibonacci Identity can be derived using various methods, including algebraic manipulation, matrix multiplication, and even through geometric constructions. However, the most common method is through the use of generating functions.

4. Can the Fibonacci Identity be extended to other sequences?

Yes, the Fibonacci Identity can be generalized to other sequences, such as the Lucas sequence, where the ratio of two consecutive terms also approaches the golden ratio as the sequence progresses. It can also be extended to higher dimensions, known as the Multidimensional Fibonacci Identity.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Fibonacci Identity?

The Fibonacci Identity has been applied in various fields, such as finance, architecture, music, and art. It has also been used in cryptography and coding theory. In nature, the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio can be seen in the branching patterns of trees, the arrangement of petals in flowers, and even in the shape of galaxies.