Complex Analysis Residue Query

In summary: Just one more question, then.2) Why didn't you just take the limit as z+2i? Isn't that what you meant by the " pole at z=2i"?
Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:
Folks,

I am trying to understand calculating residues.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=residue+of+1/(z^2+4)^2+at+z=2i

How is that answer determined? I mean (2i)^2=-4 and hence denominator is 0...?
Thanks

The point [itex]\,\,z=2i\,\,[/itex] is a pole of order 2 of [itex]\,\,\frac{1}{(z^2+4)^2}=\frac{1}{(x-2i)^2(z+2i)^2}\,\,[/itex] . Thus, from the well-known

formula that stems from Laurent series, the residue is given by
[tex]\lim_{z\to 2i}\frac{1}{(2-1)!}\frac{d}{dz^2}\left(\frac{(z-2i)^2}{(z^2+4)^2}\right)=\lim_{z\to 2i}-\frac{2}{(z+2i)^3}=-\frac{i}{32}[/tex]

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
The point [itex]\,\,z=2i\,\,[/itex] is a pole of order 2 of [itex]\,\,\frac{1}{(z^2+4)^2}=\frac{1}{(x-2i)^2(z+2i)^2}\,\,[/itex] . Thus, from the well-known

formula that stems from Laurent series, the residue is given by
[tex]\lim_{z\to 2i}\frac{1}{(2-1)!}\frac{d}{dz^2}\left(\frac{(z-2i)^2}{(z^2+4)^2}\right)=\lim_{z\to 2i}-\frac{2}{(z+2i)^3}=-\frac{i}{32}[/tex]

DonAntonio

Very good, thank you. Just have 2 queries

1) shouldn't ##/dz^2## be just ##/dz##?

2) Why did you choose pole ##z-2i## instead of ##z+2i## for the limit..?
Is it to do with ##0 < |z-z_0|<R##

Thanks

bugatti79 said:
Very good, thank you. Just have 2 queries

1) shouldn't ##/dz^2## be just ##/dz##?

*** Of course, thanx. The "n" in [itex]\,\,\frac{1}{(n-1)!}\,\,and\,\,\frac{d^n}{dz^n}\,\,[/itex] must be the same

2) Why did you choose pole ##z-2i## instead of ##z+2i## for the limit..?

*** Because this is what they do in that link to Wolfram you gave: the pole at [itex]\,\,z=2i\,\,[/itex], and thus the limit

must be taken as z approaches this point. ***

Is it to do with ##0 < |z-z_0|<R##

*** No, and I don't have much of an idea what you mean by this within this context.

DonAntonio

Thanks

DonAntonio said:

Ok that makes sense, thank you.

Related to Complex Analysis Residue Query

What is complex analysis residue query?

Complex analysis residue query is a mathematical concept that deals with the study of functions that are complex-valued. It involves the use of calculus to analyze complex functions and their properties.

What are some real-world applications of complex analysis residue query?

Complex analysis residue query has various applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it is used in the study of electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. It is also used in the analysis of economic models and financial systems.

What is the difference between residue and singularity in complex analysis residue query?

In complex analysis residue query, a residue refers to the value of a complex function at a singular point. A singularity, on the other hand, is a point in the complex plane where a function is not defined or has a discontinuity. The residue at a singularity is the coefficient of the Laurent series expansion of the function at that point.

How is complex analysis residue query related to Cauchy's integral theorem?

Complex analysis residue query is closely related to Cauchy's integral theorem, which states that the integral of a complex function over a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its isolated singularities inside the contour. This theorem is used in the computation of complex integrals and in the evaluation of real integrals using contour integration.

What are some common techniques used in complex analysis residue query?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis residue query include the residue theorem, Laurent series expansion, Cauchy's integral theorem, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These techniques are used to compute complex integrals, analyze the behavior of complex functions, and find the residues of functions at singular points.