How Do You Calculate the Real and Imaginary Parts of \( e^{e^z} \)?

In summary, a complex exponential function is a mathematical function that involves complex numbers and has the form f(x) = a^x, where a is a complex number and x is a variable. It differs from a regular exponential function in that it involves both real and imaginary numbers. There is a strong connection between complex exponential functions and trigonometric functions, as shown by Euler's formula. Some applications of complex exponential functions include modeling growth and decay, oscillatory systems, and signal processing. They are graphed in the complex plane and form a spiral shape.
Deanmark
Let f(z) = $e^{e^{z}}$ . Find Re(f) and Im(f).

I don't know how to deal with the exponential within an exponential. Does anybody know how to deal with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Recall Euler’s formula: $e^{iy} = \cos y + i\sin y$ for all real $y$. For $z = x + yi$, we would then have $e^z = e^{x + yi} = e^x e^{yi} = e^x(\cos y + i\sin y)$. If $w = e^z$, then $$e^w = e^{e^x\cos y + i(e^x\sin y)} = e^{e^x\cos y}\, e^{i(e^x\sin y)} = \cdots$$ Take it from here.

To find the real part of f(z), we can use the fact that Re(f) = $e^{Re(z)}\cos(Im(z))$. Since z is a complex number, we can write it as z = x + iy, where x and y are real numbers. Then, using this form for z, we can rewrite f(z) as f(z) = $e^{e^{x+iy}}$. Using the property of exponents, we can write this as f(z) = $e^{e^{x}e^{iy}}$. Now, we can use Euler's formula to write $e^{iy}$ as $\cos(y) + i\sin(y)$. Plugging this into our expression for f(z), we get f(z) = $e^{e^{x}(\cos(y)+i\sin(y))}$. Finally, taking the real part of this expression, we get Re(f) = $e^{e^{x}}\cos(e^{x}\cos(y))$.

To find the imaginary part of f(z), we can use the fact that Im(f) = $e^{Re(z)}\sin(Im(z))$. Using the same steps as above, we can rewrite f(z) as f(z) = $e^{e^{x}(\cos(y)+i\sin(y))}$. Taking the imaginary part of this expression, we get Im(f) = $e^{e^{x}}\sin(e^{x}\cos(y))$.

So, in summary, Re(f) = $e^{e^{x}}\cos(e^{x}\cos(y))$ and Im(f) = $e^{e^{x}}\sin(e^{x}\cos(y))$.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Real and Imaginary Parts of \( e^{e^z} \)?

1. What is a complex exponential function?

A complex exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = a^x, where a is a complex number and x is a variable. It is a type of exponential function that involves complex numbers, which have both a real and imaginary component.

2. How is a complex exponential function different from a regular exponential function?

A regular exponential function only involves real numbers, while a complex exponential function involves complex numbers. This means that the values of a complex exponential function can have both a real and imaginary component, while a regular exponential function only has real values.

3. What is the connection between complex exponential functions and trigonometric functions?

There is a strong connection between complex exponential functions and trigonometric functions. In fact, Euler's formula states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is a real number. This formula shows that complex exponential functions and trigonometric functions are closely related.

4. What are some applications of complex exponential functions?

Complex exponential functions have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to model growth and decay phenomena, as well as oscillatory systems. They also play a role in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics.

5. How are complex exponential functions graphed?

Complex exponential functions are graphed in the complex plane, where the horizontal axis represents the real component and the vertical axis represents the imaginary component. The graph of a complex exponential function will form a spiral shape, with the distance from the origin increasing as the value of x increases.