Complex real function u when f = u + iv

In summary, the real and imaginary parts of \(\arctan(z)\) can be found by solving the equation \[\arctan(z) = \frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{x+iy} = \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2} - i\frac{y}{x^2 + y^2}.\]
Dustinsfl
Find the real functions \(u\) and \(v\) such that \(f = u + iv\) for \(f(z) = \arctan(z)\).
Does below work or make sense to do?
\[
\arctan(z) = \frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{x+iy} = \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2} - i\frac{y}{x^2 + y^2}
\]

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: complex real function u when f = u + iv

dwsmith said:
Find the real functions \(u\) and \(v\) such that \(f = u + iv\) for \(f(z) = \arctan(z)\).
\[
\arctan(z) = \frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{x+iy} = \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2} - i\frac{y}{x^2 + y^2}
\]

May be it has more sense the identity...

$\displaystyle \tan^{-1} z = \frac{i}{2}\ \ln \frac{1 - i\ z}{1 + i\ z}\ (1)$

Now set in (1) $z = x + i\ y$ and separe the real and imaginary parts...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

dwsmith said:
\[
\]
[tex]\arctan(z)= \frac{1}{z}[/tex] certainly does NOT make sense- it is not true. What made you write that?

dwsmith said:
\[
\]

I'd consider writing [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} z = x + i\,y \end{align*}[/tex], then [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} f(z) = u(x,y) + i\,v(x,y) \end{align*}[/tex], then

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \arctan{ (x + i\,y) } &= u + i\,v \\ x + i\,y &= \tan{ \left( u + i\,v \right) } \end{align*}[/tex]

and trying to manipulate the tangent function so you can write it in terms of its real and imaginary parts...

chisigma said:
May be it has more sense the identity...

$\displaystyle \tan^{-1} z = \frac{i}{2}\ \ln \frac{1 - i\ z}{1 + i\ z}\ (1)$

Now set in (1) $z = x + i\ y$ and separe the real and imaginary parts...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

In doing so, we have
\[
\frac{i}{2}\ln(1 + y - ix) - \frac{i}{2}\ln(1 - y + ix)
\]
Let \(z_1 = 1 + y - ix\) and \(z_2 = 1 - y + ix\).
Then \(\lvert z_1\rvert = \sqrt{(1 + y)^2 + x^2}\), \(\varphi_1 = -\arctan\left(\frac{x}{1 + y}\right)\), \(\lvert z_2\rvert = \sqrt{(1 - y)^2 + x^2}\), and \(\varphi_2 = -\arctan\left(\frac{x}{1 - y}\right)\).

Mathematica has that one term of the real part is
\[
\frac{1}{4}\text{Im}\left(\ln\left[\frac{(1 + y)^2 + x^2}{(1 - y)^2 + x^2}\right]\right)
\]
but when is the argument of the ln imaginary? Is it ever?

Last edited:
\(\DeclareMathOperator{\Arg}{Arg}\)
How do I go from
\[\frac{i}{4}\ln\Bigg[\frac{(1 + y)^2 + x^2}{(1 - y)^2 + x^2}\Bigg] -
\frac{1}{2}\Arg\bigg[\frac{1 + y - ix}{1 - y + ix}\bigg]
\]
to the real part is
\[
\frac{1}{2} \left(-\arg \left(\frac{\sqrt{x^2+(y+1)^2}}{\sqrt{x^2+(y-1)^2}}\right)-\arg \left(-1-\frac{2}{-i x+y-1}\right)\right)
\]
More specifically, how is \(-\arg \left(\frac{\sqrt{x^2+(y+1)^2}}{\sqrt{x^2+(y-1)^2}}\right)\) obtained?

Last edited:
You titled this "complex function". But it appears you are trying to solve the equation arctan(z)= 1/z. Is that correct?

HallsofIvy said:
You titled this "complex function". But it appears you are trying to solve the equation arctan(z)= 1/z. Is that correct?

No.

I want to find the real and imaginary parts of \(\arctan(z)\). I came up with the \(\frac{1}{z}\) by using a right triangle; however, that was noted to be incorrect. I have the form of \(\arctan(z)\) but I don't know how Mathematica achieved part of its real part solution which I asked in my next most recent post.

Related to Complex real function u when f = u + iv

1. What is a complex real function?

A complex real function is a function that maps a complex number to another complex number. It can be written as f(z) = u(z) + iv(z), where u and v are real-valued functions and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How is a complex real function different from a regular real function?

A regular real function maps a real number to another real number, while a complex real function maps a complex number to another complex number. This means that a complex real function has two components, a real part and an imaginary part, whereas a regular real function only has one component.

3. What is the significance of the real and imaginary parts in a complex real function?

The real part, u, represents the function's behavior along the horizontal axis, while the imaginary part, v, represents its behavior along the vertical axis. Together, they give a complete picture of the function's behavior in the complex plane.

4. How do you graph a complex real function?

To graph a complex real function, you can plot points in the complex plane, where the x-coordinate is the value of the real part and the y-coordinate is the value of the imaginary part. The resulting graph is called an Argand diagram.

5. What is the relationship between the complex real function and its conjugate?

The complex conjugate of a complex real function f(z) = u(z) + iv(z) is the function f*(z) = u(z) - iv(z). This means that the real and imaginary parts are swapped. The conjugate is useful in finding the modulus of a complex real function, which is equal to the square root of the function multiplied by its conjugate.