Computational fluid dynamics: steady 2D flow

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving changes in velocities and determining the direction of the velocities based on the values on a diagram. There is confusion about how to approach the problem, but the solution is to find the x and y velocity components at the center of the cell and then average them. The equations for calculating the velocities are also provided.
Feodalherren
1. Homework Statement
cfd.png

Homework Equations

CFD

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit confused by this question.

So at first what I do for the problem on the left, I find the changes in the velocities in X and and Y on all four sides.

I notice that the values on the diagram to the left are higher on top than they are on the bottom, therefore I conclude that v must be "up".
I also notice that the values are higher on the right than they are on the left, therefore I conclude that u is to the right.

For the diagram on the right: I notice that bottom > top, therefore v is down.
Right > left, therefore u is to the right.Are these assumptions correct?

After that it's a fairly simple problem but this first step has me confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what they want you to do is to find the y velocity components at the centers of the horizontal faces, and the x velocity components at the centers of the vertical faces, and then average to get the velocity components at the center of the cell.

Chet

Likes Feodalherren
I don't understand. The solution says "Ψtop>Ψbottom, therefore U is to the right" and "Ψright>Ψleft therefore V is down".
This is completely counter intuitive and seems to be taken out of the thin air. What are they basing this on?

Feodalherren said:
I don't understand. The solution says "Ψtop>Ψbottom, therefore U is to the right" and "Ψright>Ψleft therefore V is down".
This is completely counter intuitive and seems to be taken out of the thin air. What are they basing this on?
$$v_x=\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y}$$
$$v_y=-\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}$$

Likes Feodalherren
That makes a million times more sense. Thanks.

Related to Computational fluid dynamics: steady 2D flow

1. What is Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)?

Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is a branch of fluid mechanics that uses numerical methods and algorithms to solve and analyze problems related to fluid flow. It involves the use of computer simulations to study the behavior of fluids, such as air or water, in motion.

2. What is steady 2D flow in CFD?

Steady 2D flow in CFD refers to the simulation and analysis of fluid flow in a two-dimensional space, where the flow parameters (e.g. velocity, pressure, temperature) do not change with time. This simplifies the mathematical equations and allows for a more efficient and accurate simulation of the flow behavior.

3. What are the applications of steady 2D flow in CFD?

Steady 2D flow simulations in CFD are widely used in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and marine engineering, to design and optimize the performance of vehicles, engines, and other fluid systems. It is also used in building and environmental design to study air and water flow for ventilation and climate control.

4. How is steady 2D flow simulated in CFD?

In CFD, steady 2D flow is simulated by dividing the fluid space into a grid of smaller cells and applying numerical methods and algorithms to solve the governing equations of fluid flow, such as the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations are solved iteratively until a steady state solution is reached, where the flow parameters remain constant.

5. What are the advantages of using CFD for steady 2D flow simulations?

Using CFD for steady 2D flow simulations offers several advantages over traditional experimental methods. It allows for a more detailed and accurate analysis of fluid behavior, can save time and costs associated with physical experiments, and provides the ability to easily test and optimize different design configurations. CFD also allows for the simulation of complex flow phenomena that may be difficult or impossible to replicate in a laboratory setting.