Computer Science Courses to Learn: Beginner Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's goal to learn computer science on their own and which courses they should start with. The suggested courses include Mathematics for Computer Science, Software Engineering, and Introduction to Program Design, with the possibility of also taking Algorithms and Data Structures. The speaker is advised to verify their ability in Differential Equations before embarking on a full CS program.
Math10
I want to learn computer science on my own and I heard that the typical major courses for CS are:

Artificial Intelligence
Computer System Organization
Data Structures and algorithms
Digital system design
Introduction to program design
Mathematics for Computer Science
Software engineering
The theory of formal languages

I have no CS background at all but I currently study Differential Equations on my own and I can handle it pretty well. So what computer science should I learn first? My goal is to invent/build something in the field of computer science that can make lots of money.

Physics news on Phys.org
You say that you are studying DE on your own, and "can handle it pretty well." By what measure can you "handle it pretty well?" That is a pretty confident statement, but you might want to be sure about that. Have you compared your ability to that of those who study it formally by means of any tests, etc.?

I suggest you may need to verify your confidence before embarking on an entire CS program as independent study.

Some of those are pretty vague names so I can't tell what the course covers right off the bat. Maybe it will be better if you can provide a part of the syllabus for those courses.

However, I think you should probably start with Mathematics for Computer Science (unless you have covered quite a bit of discrete math already) and you can probably take Software Engineering and Introduction to Program Design concurrently (if I'm right in thinking that those are 2 introductory programming courses). You can probably take the Algorithms and Data Structures course as well, but it depends on the requirements. If it has the discrete math course or knowledge of some programming language as a prerequisite, you probably won't be able to take it yet.

Related to Computer Science Courses to Learn: Beginner Guide

1. What is computer science?

Computer science is the study of computers and computational systems, including their principles, hardware and software designs, applications, and impact on society. It encompasses a wide range of topics such as algorithms, programming languages, data structures, artificial intelligence, and more.

2. Why should I learn computer science?

Learning computer science can open up a variety of career opportunities in fields such as software development, data analysis, cybersecurity, and more. It also helps to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are applicable to many industries.

3. What are some popular programming languages to learn in computer science?

Some popular programming languages to learn in computer science include Java, Python, C++, JavaScript, and Ruby. These languages have a wide range of applications and are used in a variety of industries such as web development, data analysis, and software engineering.

4. Are there any prerequisites for learning computer science?

While there are no specific prerequisites for learning computer science, having a strong foundation in math, logic, and problem-solving can be helpful. It is also important to have a passion for learning, as computer science is a constantly evolving field and requires continuous learning.

5. How can I get started learning computer science?

There are many ways to get started learning computer science. You can take online courses, attend coding bootcamps, or enroll in a university program. It is also helpful to practice coding regularly and work on personal projects to apply your knowledge. It is important to set specific goals and stay motivated throughout the learning process.