Confusion in proof involving lim and liminf

In summary, the proof shows that the vector space of all functions from a metric space X to the complex numbers C is complete under the supremum norm. The next step is to take the limit as n approaches infinite on both sides, assuming that {f_n} is Cauchy. It is then stated that the right hand side is 0, implying that lim_{n \to +\infty} liminf_{m \to +\infty} ||f_n - f_m|| = 0. However, the previous line does not clearly lead to this conclusion. Further explanation is needed to understand why this line is true.
oblixps
In a proof showing that the vector space of all functions from a metric space X to the complex numbers C is complete under the supremum norm, there was a line near the end that i was confused about.

starting here:
\(sup|f - fn| \leq liminf_{m \to +\infty} ||f_n - f_m|| \)

the next step then is to take the limit as n approaches infinite on both sides.

Since we are assuming that {f_n} is Cauchy I know that the limit as m, n approach infinite of ||fn - fm|| is 0.

However, the very next line says that the right hand side is 0. so in other words, \(\displaystyle lim_{n \to +\infty} liminf_{m \to +\infty} ||f_n - f_m|| = 0\). i feel that it is a bit of a jump from the previous line and it isn't entirely obvious to me why this line is true.

Could someone help fill in the missing step or two?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean the vector space of bounded functions on this metric space?

Related to Confusion in proof involving lim and liminf

What is lim and liminf in mathematical proofs?

Lim and liminf are mathematical concepts used in proofs involving limits. Lim refers to the limit of a sequence or function as it approaches a specific value. Liminf, or limit inferior, is the smallest limit point of a sequence or function.

What is the difference between lim and liminf?

The main difference between lim and liminf is that lim represents the limit of a sequence or function as it approaches a specific value, while liminf represents the smallest limit point of a sequence or function. In other words, lim is the exact value that a sequence or function approaches, while liminf is the lowest possible value that it can approach.

What is the purpose of using lim and liminf in proofs?

Lim and liminf are used in proofs to help determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence or function. They can also help to establish the existence of a limit, and to determine the behavior of a sequence or function as it approaches a specific value.

What are some common errors or confusion that can occur when using lim and liminf in proofs?

One common error is mistaking liminf for lim. Since liminf represents the smallest limit point, it may not always be equal to lim. Another source of confusion is using incorrect notation or not understanding the underlying concept of convergence and divergence.

How can I improve my understanding and use of lim and liminf in proofs?

To improve your understanding and use of lim and liminf, you can practice solving problems that involve these concepts, review examples and explanations, and seek clarification from a teacher or tutor if you encounter any confusion. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the properties and rules of limits can also help in understanding and using lim and liminf effectively in proofs.