Confusion with time dialation.

In summary, both the crew of the ISS and satellites experience a weaker gravitational pull and high velocities. The difference comes from the fact that satellites experience a faster speed, which offsets the weaker gravitational pull.
MartinJH
Reading Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw's book "Why does E=MC2". They mention that satellites speed up with time, but, then reading Wiki it says the crew of the ISS experience the slowing of time. Which one is correct? I'm slightly confused.
Both experience a weaker gravitational pull and high velocities.
I feel I have the answer but it's been some months since I read anything about this.
Could it be the overall difference in altitude and speed?
Many thankshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity based time dilation combined with the gravitational time dilation can be written as:

[tex]\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} * \sqrt{1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2}} [/tex]

Since the orbital velocity of a satellite is given by:

[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}} [/tex]

then the first equation can be rewritten as:

[tex]\sqrt{1-\frac{GM}{rc^2}} * \sqrt{1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2}} [/tex]

It can be seen for increasing radius the time dilation reduces due to increased height and due to reduced orbital velocity. Clocks on satellites with large orbits tick faster than clocks on satellites at lower orbits. Clocks on the surface of the Earth are moving much slower than the required orbital velocity at that radius and so tick faster than clocks on satellites with very low orbits. The ISS has a relatively low orbit (its radius is approximately 1.05 times the radius of the Earth), so clocks on the ISS are indeed ticking slower than clocks on the surface of the Earth. The speed up of clocks with increasing radius means that once an orbital radius is larger than 3 times the Earth surface radius (the break even point) the clocks on board a satellite are ticking faster than a clock on the Earth surface. The GPS satellites have an orbital radius of about 4.1 times the radius of the Earth so they are ticking faster.

P.S. The above equations for the time dilation of an orbiting satellite can be fairly accurately approximated in this case by:

[tex]\sqrt{1-\frac{3GM}{rc^2}} or \left(1-\frac{3GM}{2rc^2}\right) [/tex]

Thank you, yuiop. You have hit the nail on the head.
Since I posted the question, a few hours ago, I have been pondering over it and knew their had to be a explanation. From reading your post it looks like I was touching on the reason but couldn't quite grasp it.

Thank you for your post also, Naty1.

Related to Confusion with time dialation.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at a different rate for objects moving at different speeds. It is a prediction of Einstein's theory of relativity, and it has been experimentally verified.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs due to the effects of gravity and the speed of an object. The closer an object is to a source of gravity, the slower time passes for that object. Similarly, the faster an object moves, the slower time appears to pass for that object.

3. What is the difference between time dilation and time travel?

Time dilation and time travel are often confused, but they are different concepts. Time dilation refers to the difference in the passage of time between two objects at different speeds. Time travel, on the other hand, refers to the ability to travel to the past or future, which is currently not possible according to our understanding of physics.

4. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, but the effects are extremely small. For example, GPS satellites in orbit experience time dilation due to their high speeds, which must be accounted for in order to ensure accurate GPS navigation on Earth.

5. Is time dilation the same as time distortion?

No, time dilation and time distortion are not the same concepts. Time distortion refers to the subjective experience of time appearing to pass at a different rate due to external factors such as boredom or excitement. Time dilation, on the other hand, is a physical phenomenon that can be measured and predicted by scientific theories.