Construct a circuit diagram of a step-up chopper in Multisim

In summary: The capacitor will take time to charge up to the higher voltage, so the oscilloscope would not show any change until after that has happened.
Fatima Hasan
Homework Statement
Attached below.
Relevant Equations
-
Using any Electrical Engineering software:
screenshot-115.png

I tried to simulate using Multisim, but the output voltage remains constant even after varying R1. Also, I only got the voltage from the oscilloscope, but how to find the current ?
Here's my attempt:
screenshot-127.png

screenshot-115.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How can you use the clue that the output voltage is one diode drop below the input 5V? :smile:

berkeman said:
How can you use the clue that the output voltage is one diode drop below the input 5V? :smile:
Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean.

Fatima Hasan said:
Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean.
Well, when I looked at your simulation, I expected to see an output voltage that is higher than the input 5V source. That's what the "Boost" chopping action of Q1 does in that circuit when it is running correctly. There's pretty much only one main way that the output voltage could be one diode drop below the input 5V supply in a Boost circuit. Have you put a 'scope probe on the drive for Q1 and on Q1's drain? What do those test points show?

berkeman said:
Well, when I looked at your simulation, I expected to see an output voltage that is higher than the input 5V source. That's what the "Boost" chopping action of Q1 does in that circuit when it is running correctly. There's pretty much only one main way that the output voltage could be one diode drop below the input 5V supply in a Boost circuit. Have you put a 'scope probe on the drive for Q1 and on Q1's drain? What do those test points show?
screenshot-128.png
/

That's what I got :
screenshot-129.png

Looks flatline in the window in time that you are looking at the drive. You need to be sure that your Q1 is being driven by the 555 IC. If there is no drive, there is no Boost...

I'm not seeing any power connection to the 555. Also, don't you have to connect the ground on your scope channels?

DaveE said:
I'm not seeing any power connection to the 555. Also, don't you have to connect the ground on your scope channels?
screenshot-130.png

Xsc1 :
screenshot-131.png

After connecting the other channels to ground on scope 1:

screenshot-132.png

berkeman said:
Looks flatline in the window in time that you are looking at the drive. You need to be sure that your Q1 is being driven by the 555 IC. If there is no drive, there is no Boost...
Q1 is connected to R4 which is connected to the IC555.

Fatima Hasan said:
I think they should be triangular waveforms , right ?
Which "they" waveforms? Not the gate drive voltage...

The overall inductor current does have a triangular shape (why?), but the diode and transistor switch currents are not exactly regular triangle waves (why not?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

1588713625933.png

berkeman said:
The overall inductor current does have a triangular shape (why?),
In the ON-state,diode is off : the current flows through the inductor ( charging) and the inductor stores the energy.
In the OFF-state, (Discharging),diode is ON: the inductor will act as a source and the diode makes the inductor to flow a current from itself and the energy will be dissipated. Since the switch cycled fast , the current won't reach 0 .

Last edited:
berkeman said:
try this
رافع جهد.JPG

I suggest that you look at the data sheet for the 555 timer, especially the circuit for Astable operation. Then compare your connections on the 555 to what is in the data sheet.

The datasheet for the LM555 by Texas Instruments is quite informative.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Tom.G said:
I suggest that you look at the data sheet for the 555 timer, especially the circuit for Astable operation. Then compare your connections on the 555 to what is in the data sheet.

The datasheet for the LM555 by Texas Instruments is quite informative.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Hello Mr. Tom,
Could you please check attached circuit and I would like to ask if I can step up voltage more and connect it to mobile power bank as volt source (as shown the current 17.3A )
Overloading may damage the battery!
Thanks

1684578549474.png

The problem here is the high Q and low resonant frequency of the series LC tank circuit with 2.3 Henries and requires at least 5 or more cycles to settle. With 2.3H changing to 2.3uH is best.

Then it is becoming lower reactance, over damped but faster response.

Compute timescale / div to 1 cycle at resonant frequency. T= 2pi sqrt(LC)

Although settling time , damping factor changes with duty cycle as switch blocks inductive series impedance.

- reducing L by 6 orders of magnitude to uH also raises the output voltage ratio by only about 6 times not 6 million. due to load regulation and impedance ratios.

Last edited:
  • Care
Likes Ltfy

Related to Construct a circuit diagram of a step-up chopper in Multisim

1. What is a step-up chopper?

A step-up chopper is an electronic circuit used to increase the voltage of a DC power source. It is also known as a boost converter.

2. How does a step-up chopper work?

A step-up chopper works by using a switching element, such as a transistor, to rapidly turn the DC input on and off. This creates a pulsating output voltage which is then filtered to produce a higher DC voltage.

3. What components are needed to construct a step-up chopper circuit?

The basic components needed for a step-up chopper circuit include a DC power source, a switching element, an inductor, a diode, and a capacitor. Additional components such as resistors and capacitors may be used for control and filtering purposes.

4. How can I construct a circuit diagram of a step-up chopper in Multisim?

To construct a circuit diagram of a step-up chopper in Multisim, you can use the built-in components and simulation tools. First, select the components needed for the circuit and place them on the schematic. Then, use the wiring tool to connect the components and set the parameters for each component. Finally, run the simulation to test the circuit.

5. What are the advantages of using Multisim for circuit design?

Multisim is a powerful software that allows for easy and accurate circuit design and simulation. It offers a wide range of components and tools, as well as the ability to test and troubleshoot circuits in a virtual environment. This saves time and resources compared to physical prototyping and testing. Additionally, Multisim can generate detailed reports and analyze circuit performance, making it a valuable tool for engineers and scientists.