Construct B field from a given E field using Maxwell's Eqns

In summary, Maxwell's equations can be used to determine the magnetic field, B, in a vacuum given the electric field, E. Using the third Maxwell equation, the partial derivative of B with respect to time is equal to -(E0/c)(t-2, 0, 0). Integrating this vector with respect to time and setting the resulting curl equal to ε0μ0E, the boundary condition for B is satisfied, resulting in B = E0/c(1/t, 0, 0). Taking the curl of this vector yields a final solution with no steady B fields present, as required by the boundary condition.
Robsta

Homework Statement

Given an electric field in a vacuum:
E(t,r) = (E0/c) (0 , 0 , y/t2)

use Maxwell's equations to determine B(t,r) which satisfies the boundary condition B -> 0 as t -> ∞

Homework Equations

The problem is in a vacuum so in the conventional notation J = 0 and ρ = 0 (current density is zero and charge density is zero). Maxwell's equations are reduced to:

Div(E) = 0
Div(B) = 0
Curl(E) = -∂B/∂T
Curl(B) = μ0ε0∂E/∂t

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been given E so taking the curl of it I get

Curl E = (E0/c) (t-2 , 0 , 0)

So using the third Maxwell Equation I get ∂B/∂T = -(E0/c) (t-2 , 0 , 0)

But this is a partial differential. When I integrate the components of the vector with respct to t, I have to add functions of x,y,z.

So B = E0/c (1/t + f(x,y,z) , g(x,y,z) , h(x,y,z) )

Taking the curl of this vector is tricky but I'll give it a go.

Setting the curl of my B vector above to equal ε0μ0E I get a big mess of partial derivatives of f(x,y,x), g(x,y,z) and h(x,y,z) equaling my original E vector, which two of its components are zero and one is yt-2

Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you want to take the curl of B ?

And you have a boundary condition for B that gets rid of all these f, g and h

Oh of course. Since B tends to zero with long times, there can't be any steady B fields like f, g and h would necessitate. Thanks very much!

Related to Construct B field from a given E field using Maxwell's Eqns

1. How do you construct a B field from a given E field using Maxwell's equations?

In order to construct a B field from a given E field using Maxwell's equations, you will need to use the equation known as Maxwell's law of induction, which states that the curl of the electric field is equal to the negative of the time rate of change of the magnetic field. This equation can be written as ∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t. By solving for B, you can construct the B field from the given E field.

2. What are the key equations in Maxwell's equations for constructing a B field from a given E field?

The key equations in Maxwell's equations for constructing a B field from a given E field are the first and fourth equations, also known as Gauss's law and Maxwell's law of induction, respectively. These equations are represented by the equations ∇ • E = ρ/ε₀ and ∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t, where ∇ represents the gradient operator, • represents the dot product, x represents the cross product, ρ represents the electric charge density, and ε₀ represents the electric constant.

3. Can Maxwell's equations be used to construct a B field from a given E field in all situations?

Yes, Maxwell's equations can be used to construct a B field from a given E field in all situations. These equations are fundamental laws of electromagnetism and apply to all situations involving electric and magnetic fields. However, in some cases, additional equations or simplifications may be necessary to accurately construct the B field.

4. How do you use boundary conditions in Maxwell's equations to construct a B field from a given E field?

Boundary conditions can be used in Maxwell's equations to construct a B field from a given E field by considering the behavior of the electric and magnetic fields at the interface between two different materials. These conditions, which involve factors such as the relative permittivity and permeability of the materials, can help determine the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields and allow for the construction of the B field.

5. What are some practical applications of constructing a B field from a given E field using Maxwell's equations?

The construction of a B field from a given E field using Maxwell's equations has many practical applications, including in the design and operation of various electronic devices such as motors, generators, and transformers. This process is also important in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which are used in technologies such as radio communication, satellite communication, and medical imaging.