How to Glue the Hyperbolic Plane to Form Klein's Quartic?

• Thread starter Lapidus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of gluing together the hyperbolic plane to create the surface known as Klein's quartic. This involves making a minimum of 6 loop cuts to render it topologically a disc, but there are 14 edges in the picture due to the symmetries of the quartic. John Baez provides a link with a description of how to glue, but there is confusion about the number of cuts needed. It is clarified that after identifying the edges in pairs, there will be 2 vertices, resulting in a total of 7 edges. This is due to the genus of the Klein quartic being 3.
Lapidus
Can someone tell me how I have to glue together the hyperbolic plane
so that I get the surface (Klein's quartic) shown to the left. I found this picture on the net, but without a desription how to glue.
thanks!

Unbenannt.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
this is a fun question. i don't know the answer but it is fun staring at the pictures. since the klein quartic is a surface of genus 3, one must mnake a minimum of 6 loop cuts to render it topologically a disc as in th picture. but there are 14 edges to the disc in the picture. this has something to do with th symmetries of the klein quartic which has symmetries of orders 2,3, 7, so the decomposition is done in a way that respects these symmetries. e.g. rotation of order 7 about the center gives one of the automorphisms of the quartic, but i don't quite see how to glue it back together.

this is a nice link with a description of how to glue, but it puzzles me since again making more than 6 loops cuts would separate the disc, so somehow those cuts are not all loop cuts?

Since the genus of a g-holed torus is g, the Klein quartic has genus 3, and hence Euler characteristic 2 - 2g = -4.

After identifying the edges in pairs, there will be 1 2-cell, 7 edges, and say V vertices.

The alternating sum 1 - 7 + V is the Euler characteristic, so we have

1 - 7 + V = -4​

and so

V = 2.​

The reason that the number of cuts seemed too many is that there will be 2 vertices after identification, not just 1.

Likes jim mcnamara
equivalently the last cut along the edge joining the two distinct vertices is not a loop cut.

In fact, all 7 "cuts" are between the two vertices. Though it is better to call them edges.

Last edited:

Related to How to Glue the Hyperbolic Plane to Form Klein's Quartic?

1. What is Klein's quartic?

Klein's quartic is a mathematical curve discovered by German mathematician Felix Klein in the late 19th century. It is a non-orientable surface with interesting geometric and algebraic properties.

2. Why is constructing Klein's quartic important?

Constructing Klein's quartic is important because it is a fundamental problem in geometry and topology. It has connections to many other areas of mathematics and has been studied extensively by mathematicians for over a century.

3. What is the difficulty level of constructing Klein's quartic?

The difficulty level of constructing Klein's quartic varies depending on the approach and level of mathematical background. It can range from intermediate to advanced, and requires a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and topology.

4. What are the main steps involved in constructing Klein's quartic?

The main steps involved in constructing Klein's quartic include understanding the concept of non-orientable surfaces, studying the algebraic equations that define the curve, and using geometric constructions to visualize and prove its properties.

5. How is constructing Klein's quartic relevant to real-world applications?

Although the construction of Klein's quartic may seem purely theoretical, it has many real-world applications. It has been used in cryptography, coding theory, and even in the design of certain types of computer processors. Its unique properties make it a valuable tool in various fields of mathematics and science.