Continuity of Complex Functions ....Palka, Example 1.5, Chapter 3 .... ....

In summary: Therefore, h(z) is continuous on D.I hope this helps. Best of luck with your studies!In summary, Palka's book on complex function theory discusses the continuity of functions in Chapter 3, specifically Example 1.5 in Section 1.2. The function f(z) = e^{i \theta / 2} \
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Bruce P. Palka's book: An Introduction to Complex Function Theory ...

I am focused on Chapter 3: Analytic Functions ...

I need help with some aspects of Example 1.5, Chapter 3 ...

Example 1.5, Chapter 3 reads as follows:View attachment 7390
View attachment 7391
In the above text from Palka Chapter 3, Section 1.2 we read the following:

" ... ... Recall that the function \(\displaystyle \theta\) is continuous on the set \(\displaystyle D = \mathbb{C} \sim ( - \infty, 0 ]\) (Lemma II.2.4), a fact which makes it clear that \(\displaystyle f\), too, is continuous in \(\displaystyle D\). ... ... "Now \(\displaystyle f\), I suspect, would be continuous because \(\displaystyle e^{i \theta / 2 }\) is continuous on \(\displaystyle D\) if \(\displaystyle \theta\) is continuous on the set \(\displaystyle D \)... (is that right?) and also \(\displaystyle h(z) = \sqrt{ \lvert z \rvert }\) is continuous ...

I have tried to rigorously prove that \(\displaystyle h(z) = \sqrt{ \lvert z \rvert }\) is continuous on \(\displaystyle D\) ... but failed ... did not get further than writing out the definition of continuity of a complex function in terms of \(\displaystyle \epsilon, \delta\) ...

Can someone show me how to rigorously demonstrate that \(\displaystyle h(z) = \sqrt{ \lvert z \rvert }\) is continuous on \(\displaystyle D\) ... ?Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Peter,

First of all, it is great that you are reading Palka's book on complex function theory. It is a fundamental and important subject in mathematics.

To answer your question, yes, your reasoning is correct. Since \theta is continuous on D, and e^{i \theta / 2} and \sqrt{\lvert z \rvert} are both continuous functions, it follows that f(z) = e^{i \theta / 2} \cdot \sqrt{\lvert z \rvert} is also continuous on D.

To prove the continuity of h(z) = \sqrt{ \lvert z \rvert } on D, we can use the definition of continuity as you mentioned. Let z_0 be any point in D and let \epsilon > 0 be given. We want to show that there exists a \delta > 0 such that for all z \in D, if \lvert z - z_0 \rvert < \delta, then \lvert h(z) - h(z_0) \rvert < \epsilon.

Note that since D = \mathbb{C} \sim (-\infty, 0], we can choose \delta = \min \{1, \lvert z_0 \rvert \}. Then for any z \in D with \lvert z - z_0 \rvert < \delta, we have:

\begin{align*}
\lvert h(z) - h(z_0) \rvert &= \lvert \sqrt{\lvert z \rvert} - \sqrt{\lvert z_0 \rvert} \rvert \\
&\leq \lvert \sqrt{\lvert z \rvert} - \sqrt{\lvert z_0 \rvert} \rvert \cdot \frac{\lvert \sqrt{\lvert z \rvert} + \sqrt{\lvert z_0 \rvert} \rvert}{\lvert \sqrt{\lvert z \rvert} + \sqrt{\lvert z_0 \rvert} \rvert} \\
&= \frac{\lvert z - z_0 \rvert}{\lvert \sqrt{\lvert z \rvert} + \sqrt{\lvert z_0 \rvert} \rvert} \\
&\leq \frac{\

Related to Continuity of Complex Functions ....Palka, Example 1.5, Chapter 3 .... ....

1. What is the definition of continuity for complex functions?

The continuity of a complex function at a point is defined as the ability for the function to approach the same limit from all directions as the input approaches that point.

2. How is continuity different for complex functions compared to real functions?

The concept of continuity for complex functions is similar to that of real functions, but the directional approach of the limit must be considered for complex functions due to their two-dimensional nature.

3. Can a complex function be continuous at a point but not differentiable?

Yes, it is possible for a complex function to be continuous at a point but not differentiable at that point. This occurs when the function has a sharp turn or corner at that point.

4. How can we determine the continuity of a complex function at a point?

To determine the continuity of a complex function at a point, we must check if the limit of the function exists at that point and if it is equal to the value of the function at that point.

5. What is the importance of studying continuity of complex functions?

The study of continuity of complex functions is important in understanding the behavior of these functions and their properties. It also allows us to determine when a complex function is differentiable, which is crucial in many mathematical applications.