Contour Integrals - Example 2.5, Palka, Section 2.2, Ch.4 .... ....

In summary: Thanks for a MOST helpful post, Euge ...Sorry that I did not pick up on your hint regarding concavity ...
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Bruce P. Palka's book: An Introduction to Complex Function Theory ...

I am focused on Chapter 4: Complex Integration, Section 2.2 Properties of Contour Integrals ...

I need help with an aspect of Example 2.5,Section 2.2, Chapter 4 ...

Example 2.5, Chapter 4 reads as follows:View attachment 7435In the above text from Palka, we read the following:" ... ... But \(\displaystyle \text{ sin } u \ge 2u/ \pi \text{ whenever } 0 \le u \le \pi / 2\) ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly why/how \(\displaystyle \text{ sin } u \ge 2u/ \pi \text{ whenever } 0 \le u \le \pi / 2\) ... ... ?
Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
In the above text from Palka, we read the following:" ... ... But \(\displaystyle \text{ sin } u \ge 2u/ \pi \text{ whenever } 0 \le u \le \pi / 2\) ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly why/how \(\displaystyle \text{ sin } u \ge 2u/ \pi \text{ whenever } 0 \le u \le \pi / 2\) ... ... ?

Consider the graphs below.

[DESMOS=-0.5496108949416503,1.9503891050583497,-0.1562499999999729,2.343750000000027]\sin\ x;\frac{2x}{\pi}[/DESMOS]

Notice the sine wave lies above the green line from $x = 0$ to $x = \pi/2$, where the sine reaches its peak. The equation of the line passing through the origin and $(\pi/2, 1)$ is indeed $y = (2/\pi)x$. So we have $\sin x \ge (2/\pi)x$ whenever $0 \le x \le \pi/2$.

Euge said:
Consider the graphs below.
Notice the sine wave lies above the green line from $x = 0$ to $x = \pi/2$, where the sine reaches its peak. The equation of the line passing through the origin and $(\pi/2, 1)$ is indeed $y = (2/\pi)x$. So we have $\sin x \ge (2/\pi)x$ whenever $0 \le x \le \pi/2$.
OK Thanks Euge ... can see that ...

Mind you ... I still have no idea how one would prove the inequality is true ...

Peter

I was hinting at concavity of the sine function on the interval $[0, \pi/2]$. Since $(\sin x)'' = -\sin x \le 0$ over $[0, \pi/2]$, the sine is concave in that interval. Hence, the line segment joining any two points in $[0, \pi/2]$ on the sine graph must lie below the sine graph. In particular, the line segment from the origin to $(\pi/2, 1)$ must be below the graph of the sine on $[0, \pi/2]$, which means $(2/\pi)x \le \sin x$ for all $x\in [0, \pi/2]$.

Euge said:
I was hinting at concavity of the sine function on the interval $[0, \pi/2]$. Since $(\sin x)'' = -\sin x \le 0$ over $[0, \pi/2]$, the sine is concave in that interval. Hence, the line segment joining any two points in $[0, \pi/2]$ on the sine graph must lie below the sine graph. In particular, the line segment from the origin to $(\pi/2, 1)$ must be below the graph of the sine on $[0, \pi/2]$, which means $(2/\pi)x \le \sin x$ for all $x\in [0, \pi/2]$.
Thanks for a MOST helpful post, Euge ...

Sorry that I did not pick up on your hint regarding concavity ...

Peter

Related to Contour Integrals - Example 2.5, Palka, Section 2.2, Ch.4 .... ....

What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integral in complex analysis that is used to calculate the value of a function along a specific path in the complex plane. It is also known as a line integral or path integral.

What is Example 2.5 in Palka's Section 2.2, Chapter 4?

Example 2.5 in Palka's Section 2.2, Chapter 4 is an example of a contour integral that is used to evaluate the integral of a complex function along a simple closed curve. It demonstrates the use of Cauchy's Integral Theorem and Cauchy's Integral Formula.

What is the significance of contour integrals in mathematics?

Contour integrals are important in mathematics because they allow for the evaluation of complex integrals by reducing them to simpler real integrals. They also have applications in other areas of mathematics such as complex analysis, differential equations, and physics.

How do you solve a contour integral?

To solve a contour integral, you first need to identify the contour or path along which the integral is to be evaluated. Then, apply the appropriate contour integration techniques such as Cauchy's Integral Theorem or Cauchy's Integral Formula. Finally, evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus or other integration methods.

What are some real-world applications of contour integrals?

Contour integrals have various real-world applications, including in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving complex variables and to model physical phenomena. Additionally, they have applications in signal processing, image processing, and computer graphics.