Control System mass spring damper

Gunter1977
Homework Statement
Hobby project PI controller mass spring damper system
Relevant Equations
mz_ddot + cdz_dot+kz = External force + Force controller
Hello everybody

I have a question about my control system, and I've included a diagram for reference. In the diagram below, I've illustrated three different control schemes using Simulink. The first scheme represents a PI controller for a mass-spring-damper system, which I understand well. It involves calculating the error between the desired value and feedback, and the units appear to be correctly matched.

My question pertains to the control of the PI controller for position or velocity. In the section highlighted in red within the Simulink diagram, I have made an assumption to ensure unit consistency. However, I'm unsure if this approach is permissible. I have experimented with damping coefficients or stiffness constants as conversion factors, but I'm uncertain whether this is the correct approach or if it is allowed

Could someone provide guidance on how to resolve this issue? Have I gone about it the wrong way, and if so, what would be a more appropriate solution?

Your insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
099.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a control system mass spring damper?

A control system mass spring damper is a type of mechanical system that consists of a mass (or weight), a spring, and a damper. It is used to control the movement or position of the mass by applying forces through the spring and damper.

2. How does a control system mass spring damper work?

The mass spring damper system works by using the spring to store and release energy, and the damper to dissipate energy. When an external force is applied to the mass, it will cause the mass to move, which in turn compresses or stretches the spring. The spring then exerts a force in the opposite direction, and the damper absorbs some of the energy to prevent the mass from oscillating indefinitely.

3. What are the applications of a control system mass spring damper?

Control system mass spring dampers have various applications in engineering and science. They are commonly used in mechanical systems such as shock absorbers, vibration isolators, and suspension systems. They are also used in electrical systems for voltage regulation and in chemical systems for controlling chemical reactions.

4. What factors affect the performance of a control system mass spring damper?

The performance of a control system mass spring damper is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the damping coefficient of the damper. The natural frequency of the system, which is determined by these factors, also plays a crucial role in its performance.

5. How is a control system mass spring damper designed and optimized?

The design and optimization of a control system mass spring damper involve determining the appropriate values for the mass, spring stiffness, and damping coefficient to achieve the desired performance. This can be done through mathematical modeling, simulation, and experimentation. The goal is to find a balance between stability, response time, and energy dissipation to achieve the best performance for the specific application.