Convergence Error in Matlab Code for Fluid Flow Simulation

In summary, the code is attempting to simulate the Lifting Line Theory using Matlab to estimate the lift and drag of a 3D wing for optimization purposes. The plot generated shows that the lift distribution with taper ratio is incorrect, as it shows that a smaller taper ratio produces more lift at the wing tip. The code uses a lifting line algorithm to determine the lift coefficient for each segment, and also calculates the Oswald efficiency factor induced drag coefficient. The issue with the code is that it produces an error, "Attempted to access q(2); index out of bounds because numel(q)=1."
HACRS4

Homework Statement

My apologies if the error is an obvious one and many thanks in advance for any help given:

I am trying to create a Matlab code that simulates Lifting Line Theory in order to provide an estimate of the lift and drag of a 3D wing. My hope is to later use this as part of an optimization routine for the wing design.

The plot showing the variation of the lift distribution with taper ratio appears to be the wrong way round. That is, it shows that the lift generated at the wing tip is greater for a smaller taper ratio. I thought that it should be the other way around (more taper, less lift generated at the wing tip).

Homework Equations

Code based on the one presented in the following document:

http://faculty.dwc.edu/sadraey/Chapter 5. Wing Design.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

% Lifting Line Code

clc;clear all;close all

% Input Wing Geometry

for Lambda = 0.25:0.25:1

% Number of wing segments
N_seg = 30;

% Wing Area [m^2]
S = 65;

% Aspect Ratio
AR = 25;

% Twist [deg]
twist = -6;

% Wing Setting Angle/ AoA [deg]
set_ang = 2;

% Wingspan [m]
b = sqrt(AR*S);

% Input Aerofoil Data

% Lift Curve Slope [1/rad]
slope = 6.9;

% Mean Aerodynamic Chord
MAC = S/b;

% Zero Lift Angle of Attack
zl_AoA = -6.56;

% root chord (m)
Root_Chord = (2*S) / ((1 + Lambda) * b);

% tip chord (m)
Tip_Chord = ((2*S) / ((1 + Lambda) * b)) * (1 - ((2* (1 - Lambda)) / b) * (b/2) );

% MAC
MAC = (2/3) * (Root_Chord + Tip_Chord - (Root_Chord*Tip_Chord) / (Root_Chord +Tip_Chord));

% Lifting Line Algorithm

theta = pi/(2*N_seg):pi/(2*N_seg):pi/2;

% create vector containing each segment's angle of attack
alpha = set_ang + twist: -twist/(N_seg-1):set_ang;

z = (b/2)*cos(theta);

% Mean Aerodynamic Chord at each segment (m)
c = Root_Chord * (1 - (1-Lambda)*cos(theta));

mu = c * slope / (4 * b);

LHS = mu .* (alpha-zl_AoA) * (pi/180);

% Determine Coefficients A(i) by Solving N_seg Equations:

for i=1:N_seg

for j=1:N_seg

B(i,j) = sin((2*j-1) * theta(i)) * (1 + (mu(i) * (2*j-1)) / sin(theta(i)));

end

end

A=B\transpose(LHS);

for i = 1:N_seg

sum1(i) = 0;
sum2(i) = 0;

for j = 1 : N_seg

sum1(i) = sum1(i) + (2*j-1) * A(j)*sin((2*j-1)*theta(i));
sum2(i) = sum2(i) + A(j)*sin((2*j-1)*theta(i));

end
end

% Determine Lift Coefficient For Each Segment

CL = 4*b*sum2 ./ c;

% Plot Lift Distribution

CL1=[0 CL];
y_s=[b/2 z];

if Lambda == 0.25
plot(y_s,CL1,'-o')
elseif Lambda == 0.5
plot(y_s,CL1,'-*')
elseif Lambda == 0.75
plot(y_s,CL1,'-s')
else
plot(y_s,CL1,'-d')
end
hold on

% Output Lift Coefficient for Wing

CL_wing = pi * AR * A(1)

% Output Oswald Efficiency Factor Induced Drag Coefficent

for n = 2:30

delta(n) = n * (A(n)/A(1))^2;

end

delta1 = sum(delta);

e = 1 / (1 + delta1)

CD_induced = CL_wing^2 / (pi * e * AR)

end

% Plot Elliptical Lift Distribution For Comparison

y_ellipse = linspace(0,(b/2),100);

for i = 1:length(y_ellipse)

CL_ellipse(i) = CL1(end) * sqrt(1 - ((2*y_ellipse(i)) / b)^2 );

end

plot (y_ellipse, CL_ellipse, 'r-')

grid on
title('Variation of Lift distribution with Taper Ratio')
xlabel('Semi-Span Location [m]')
ylabel ('C_L')
legend('location','best','Lambda = 0.25','Lambda = 0.5','Lambda = 0.75','Lambda = 1','Elliptical Lift Distribution')

Physics news on Phys.org
could you please edit your post and bracket your code listing with code tags?

It will look much nicer on the eyes and will preserve indentations.

Also you haven't said what the error is.

Apologies, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I am a Matlab, and coding in general, novice.

The error is in the plot that is generated - higher taper ratios have a better efficiency (closer to elliptical lift distribution) which I don't think should be the case. Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
Hi HACRS4,
I'm not sure that i perfectly understand your question. I have tried to use your code, and I noticed that the efficiency goes from a minimum to a maximum and then decreases again while lambda goes from 1 to 0.25. This is exactly what is suppose to happen. In fact for a fixed aspect ratio wing the maximum efficiency should happen at a tapper ratio of approximately 0.4.
Don't know if it was of any help or if it was too late. But I have actually used your code in my master thesis to do some simple calculations, and I also added the functionality to calculate the best linear wash-out geometric twist. Unfortunately I can't make a proper reference to your work. If you are so kind to tell me who to reference to I will.
Thanks you in advance

HACRS4 said:
Apologies, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I am a Matlab, and coding in general, novice.

It's pretty simple to add
Code:
 tags to your reply.

You can hit the 'Go Advanced' tab at the bottom of the page and select the icon at the top which looks like a sheet of paper with a '#' on it.

To check what you've done, hit the 'Preview Post' button and check the post before hitting the 'Submit Reply' button.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a response. Check the dates of the previous posts :smile:

Ah, the necropost!

hi, i am having some problem with a code in matlab. my code is:

t = 30;
H= 30;
h= 3;
n = H/h;
qqq= 10;
a= 3;
b = .2;
k= 0.04;
Lo= 100;
g= 9.81;

for i = 1:t
q(i) = 0;

for j = 1:n
nl = qqq + (j*h)/(a + b*(j*h));
nlt = nl*(0.0172*log(i) + 1);
q(i) = q(i) + 2*k*(Lo/100)*(nlt/3)*g*exp(-k*(i));

end

plot((1:t), q);

end

this is the code and i keep getting this error- "Attempted to access q(2); index out of bounds because numel(q)=1."

help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Last edited:

Related to Convergence Error in Matlab Code for Fluid Flow Simulation

1. What is the purpose of using Lifting Line Code in Matlab?

The purpose of using Lifting Line Code in Matlab is to analyze and predict the aerodynamic performance of a lifting surface, such as an airplane wing. It uses mathematical models and numerical methods to calculate the lift, drag, and other parameters of a wing, based on its geometry and operating conditions.

2. How does Lifting Line Code work in Matlab?

Lifting Line Code in Matlab uses a vortex lattice method, which breaks up the wing into smaller elements and calculates the aerodynamic forces acting on each element. These forces are then integrated along the span of the wing to get the total lift, drag, and other parameters.

3. What are the inputs required for Lifting Line Code in Matlab?

The inputs required for Lifting Line Code in Matlab include the wing geometry (span, chord, twist, etc.), operating conditions (air speed, angle of attack, etc.), and aerodynamic properties of the wing (lift and drag coefficients). These inputs can be either specified by the user or obtained from experimental or computational data.

4. Can Lifting Line Code in Matlab be used for different types of wings?

Yes, Lifting Line Code in Matlab can be used for a wide range of wing types, including straight, swept, tapered, and delta wings. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the complexity of the wing shape and the assumptions made in the mathematical model.

5. How accurate is Lifting Line Code in Matlab?

The accuracy of Lifting Line Code in Matlab depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the wing shape, the accuracy of the input parameters, and the assumptions made in the mathematical model. In general, it provides reasonably accurate results for most practical applications, but it may not be suitable for highly complex or unconventional wing designs.