Convergence of bounded linear operators

In summary, we are given a sequence (T_{n}) in {B(l_2} defined as T_{n}(x)=(2^{-1}x_{1},...,2^{-n}x_{n},0,0,...), and we need to show that it converges to the limit operator T(x)=(2^{-1}x_{1},2^{-2}x_{2},2^{-3}x_{3},2^{-4}x_{4},...). To do this, we must prove that \sup_{\|x\|=1}\|T(x) - T_n(x)\| \to 0 by showing that the sequence of geometric series in the norm converges to zero.
Fermat1
Let \(\displaystyle (T_{n}) \)be a sequence in \(\displaystyle {B(l_2}\) given by
\(\displaystyle T_{n}(x)=(2^{-1}x_{1},...,2^{-n}x_{n},0,0,...). \)Show that \(\displaystyle T_{n}->T\) given by
\(\displaystyle T(x)==(2^{-1}x_{1},2^{-2}x_{2},0,0,...). \)

I get a sequence of geometric series as my answer for the norm, but not sure whether that's correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fermat said:
Let \(\displaystyle (T_{n}) \)be a sequence in \(\displaystyle {B(l_2}\) given by
\(\displaystyle T_{n}(x)=(2^{-1}x_{1},...,2^{-n}x_{n},0,0,...). \)Show that \(\displaystyle T_{n}->T\) given by
\(\displaystyle T(x)==(2^{-1}x_{1},2^{-2}x_{2},0,0,...). \)

I get a sequence of geometric series as my answer for the norm, but not sure whether that's correct.
You have written the limit operator wrongly. Its definition should be $T(x)=(2^{-1}x_{1},2^{-2}x_{2},\color{red}{2^{-3}x_{3},2^{-4}x_{4},\ldots}).$ To show that $T_n\to T$, you need to show that \(\displaystyle \sup_{\|x\|\leqslant1}\|T(x) - T_n(x)\| = 0.\)

Opalg said:
You have written the limit operator wrongly. Its definition should be $T(x)=(2^{-1}x_{1},2^{-2}x_{2},\color{red}{2^{-3}x_{3},2^{-4}x_{4},\ldots}).$ To show that $T_n\to T$, you need to show that \(\displaystyle \sup_{\|x\|=1}\|T(x) - T_n(x)\| = 0.\)

Do you mean \(\displaystyle \sup_{\|x\|=1}\|T(x) - T_n(x)\| -> 0.\) ?

Well, \(\displaystyle \|T(x) - T_n(x)\|\) is a sequence of geometric series, each of whose sum is zero, so the sequence tends to zero. Is this correct?

Actually I think that's wrong. Can you help me out?

Fermat said:
Do you mean \(\displaystyle \sup_{\|x\|=1}\|T(x) - T_n(x)\| \to 0\) ?
Yes (careless typo on my part).

The coefficients in the definition of $Tx$ form a geometric sequence, but that does not help in the proof that $T_n\to T$. What you have to do is to look at the norm of $\|T(x) - T_n(x)\|$, where $x$ is a unit vector in $l_2$. If $x = (x_1,x_2,x_3,\ldots)$ then $T(x) - T_n(x) = (0,0,0,\ldots,0,2^{-(n+1)}x_{n+1},2^{-(n+2)}x_{n+2},\ldots)$ (where the first $n$ coordinates are all zero), and show that given $\varepsilon$ you can choose $n$ large enough to make the $l_2$-norm of that vector less than $\varepsilon$ for all $x$ in the unit ball of $l_2$.

I get that the sup of \(\displaystyle \|T(x) - T_n(x)\|\) over norm vectors is equal to the square root of the series from k=1 to infinity of \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4^{n+k}}\). So I need to show this sequence of series converges to zero. Agree?

Fermat said:
I get that the sup of \(\displaystyle \|T(x) - T_n(x)\|\) over norm vectors is equal to the square root of the series from k=1 to infinity of \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4^{n+k}}\). So I need to show this sequence of series converges to zero. Agree?
Yes. (Yes)

Related to Convergence of bounded linear operators

1. What is the definition of convergence of bounded linear operators?

The convergence of bounded linear operators is a concept in functional analysis that refers to the behavior of a sequence of operators on a given vector space. It is the idea that as the number of operators in the sequence increases, their actions on a vector will become closer and closer to a specific value, known as the limit of the sequence.

2. How is convergence of bounded linear operators different from pointwise convergence?

The main difference between convergence of bounded linear operators and pointwise convergence is that the former is a stronger form of convergence. While pointwise convergence only requires the values of the operators to approach a limit at each point, convergence of bounded linear operators requires the operators themselves to approach a limit as a whole.

3. What is the importance of convergence of bounded linear operators in functional analysis?

Convergence of bounded linear operators is a fundamental concept in functional analysis, as it allows for the study of infinite-dimensional spaces. It is also crucial in applications, such as in the study of differential equations and optimization problems, where it is used to prove the existence and uniqueness of solutions.

4. What are some common methods for proving convergence of bounded linear operators?

Some common methods for proving convergence of bounded linear operators include the Banach fixed point theorem, the spectral radius theorem, and the uniform boundedness principle. These methods involve using properties of the operators, such as continuity and boundedness, to show that the sequence of operators converges.

5. Are there any applications of convergence of bounded linear operators outside of mathematics?

Yes, there are many applications of convergence of bounded linear operators in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it is used in the study of quantum mechanics and control theory, as well as in the analysis of economic systems and financial markets.