Converging Subsequences: Finding a Sequence for All Integers

• MHB
  • Thread starter Carla1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a sequence that has subsequences which converge to every integer, including both positive and negative integers. One possible solution is to choose a sequence such as {0,-1,0,1,-2,-1,0,1,2,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,...}, where every integer appears infinitely many times and a subsequence can be chosen to converge to any given integer. This solution is also constant.
Carla1985
I'm trying to find a sequence that has subsequences that converge to every integer. The question before that was the same but just for the positive integers, for which i gave {1,1,2,1,2,3...} but I'm struggling to include the negatives. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Carla1985 said:
I'm trying to find a sequence that has subsequences that converge to every integer. The question before that was the same but just for the positive integers, for which i gave {1,1,2,1,2,3...} but I'm struggling to include the negatives. Thanks

Choose for example $$0,-1,0,1,-2,-1,0,1,2,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,\ldots$$ and so on. Notice that every integer appears infinitely many times: we can choose a subsequence that converges to a given integer. Besides, that subsequence is constant.

That's fab, thank you! :)

Related to Converging Subsequences: Finding a Sequence for All Integers

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers, objects, or events that follow a specific pattern or order.

2. What is a subsequence?

A subsequence is a sequence that is formed by selecting some elements from another sequence in the same order.

3. What is the difference between a sequence and a subsequence?

A sequence is a complete list of elements, while a subsequence is a subset of elements taken from a sequence.

4. How are sequences and subsequences used in mathematics and science?

Sequences and subsequences are used in various fields of mathematics and science, such as probability, statistics, and genetics, to model and analyze patterns and relationships.

5. What are some real-life examples of sequences and subsequences?

Examples of sequences and subsequences in real life include DNA sequences, stock market trends, and Fibonacci numbers in nature.