Converting Electromagnetic Units: Gaussian to Superfluous Systems

In summary, I converted an energy density into units of volt per cm, but I made a mistake with the dimension.
gerald V
Recently, I tried to convert an energy density ##\frac{gram}{cm^3}## into ##(\frac{Volt}{cm})^2##. I faced some problems originating from the introduction of the superfluous unit ##Ampere## and its descendants in the system of units.

On one hand, there are the transparent Gaussian units, in particular ##1 Franklin \equiv 1 statCoulomb = 1 \sqrt{\frac{gram \cdot cm^3}{sec^2}}## and ##1 statVolt \equiv 1 \frac{erg}{StatCoulomb} = 1 \sqrt{\frac{gram \cdot cm}{sec^2}}##.

The conversion to the superfluous units involves a dimensionful factor, namely the velocity of light. I found somewhere on the web (I cannot not find this page again) ##1 Volt = \frac{10^8}{c}StatVolt = 1 \frac{sec}{298 \cdot cm} StatVolt = \frac{1}{298} \sqrt{\frac{gram}{cm}}##, and this straightforwardly allows the conversion of the energy density units.

However, on a number of Wikipedia pages, this dimensionful factor is missing and only the numerical value of the velocity of light in our usual units appears (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statvolt). The same holds for the ##Coulomb##, where the German page is the more detailed one (see section "Historisches" of https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb). In the relation between ##Coulomb## and ##Franklin##, in my opinion the dimensionful denominator ##\frac{1 \; meter}{sec}## is to be removed (whether the numerical factors are correct then, I do not know). Am I right?

I am aware that there are even more units around, in particular electrostatic vs. electrodynamic, which sounds after the involvement of the velocity of light. However, does this affect the units discussed above?

Thank you in advance for any answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
To me it is not clear that there is a unique correct conversion factor. Maxwell’s equations are different in the different unit systems, so the correct conversion may depend on the context. Are you comparing a Gaussian unit in a Gaussian formula with the SI equivalent unit in the SI equivalent formula, or are you using a SI formula and comparing the native SI quantity with the equivalent Gaussian formula, or similarly with a Gaussian formula. It may even depend on which formula is being used.

Thank you very much. Meanwhile I realized that I made an ultimately ridiculous error. The energy density has dimension ##\frac{gram}{cm \cdot sec^2}## rather than ##\frac{gram}{cm^3}##. With this, everything is clear. Being so used to setting the velocity of light unity, I managed to forget the one and only physical formula the entire world knows. Sorry.

Related to Converting Electromagnetic Units: Gaussian to Superfluous Systems

1. What is the difference between Gaussian and Superfluous systems in terms of electromagnetic units?

In Gaussian system, the units for electric charge, electric field, and magnetic field are defined as fundamental units, while in Superfluous system, these units are derived from the units of length, mass, and time. Additionally, the unit for magnetic flux density is also different in these two systems.

2. How do I convert between Gaussian and Superfluous units for electric charge?

To convert from Gaussian to Superfluous units, multiply the Gaussian charge value by the square root of 4π. To convert from Superfluous to Gaussian units, divide the Superfluous charge value by the square root of 4π.

3. Is there a standard conversion factor between Gaussian and Superfluous units?

There is no single conversion factor between Gaussian and Superfluous units, as it depends on the specific unit being converted. However, there are well-established conversion formulas for each unit, which can be used for accurate conversions.

4. Why are there two different systems for electromagnetic units?

The Gaussian and Superfluous systems were developed at different times in history and by different scientists. The Gaussian system was developed by Carl Friedrich Gauss, while the Superfluous system was developed by James Clerk Maxwell. Both systems have their own advantages and are still used in different fields of science and engineering.

5. Can I use any system of units to measure electromagnetic quantities?

Technically, yes, you can use any system of units to measure electromagnetic quantities. However, it is important to use a consistent system of units within a specific field of study or experiment, to avoid confusion and ensure accurate results. Gaussian and Superfluous systems are widely used in electromagnetism, but there are also other systems such as SI (International System of Units) and CGS (Centimeter-Gram-Second) system.