Convex Vector Spaces: Does Sum Exist in Normed Vectorial Space?

• Thread starter Calabi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a sum in a normed vector space given certain conditions on the elements involved. Further clarification is needed, but a theorem on open convex sets may help answer the question.
Calabi
Hello every one, let be V an open convex a a normed vectorial space E.
Let be ##(a_{n}) \in \mathbb{R}^{n}## with ##\sum_{i \in \mathbb{N}} a_{i} = 1##.
Let be ##(v_{n}) \in V^{\mathbb{N}}## as ##\sum_{i \in \mathbb{N}} a_{i}v_{i}## exists.
Does necessarly ##\sum_{i \in \mathbb{N}} a_{i}v_{i} \in V## please?

Thank you in advance and have a nice afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

Likes DavideGenoa
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose a positive.
In fact for my need I can suppose ##a_{n} = \frac{1}{2^{n+1}}##.

Your original statement needs proofreading. I assume you meant V an open convex set (but I'm not sure). Also [itex]V^N[/itex]? In any case, the sum is not necessarily in V, if it exists, but in the closure of V. The sum existence depends on whether on not E is complete.

Here is a theorem about open convex sets that might help (based on theorem 3.4 in Rudin's Functional Analysis).

Suppose ##X## is a topological vector space over ##\mathbb R##, ##A## and ##B## disjoint, nonempty, convex subsets of ##X## with ##A## open, then there exists a continuous linear function ##f: X \to \mathbb R## and a real number ##\gamma## such that ##f(a) \lt \gamma \leq f(b)## for all ##a \in A,\ b\in B##.

This should help answer the question.

For reference, the theorem from the book:
rudin34.jpg

Last edited:
Likes DavideGenoa
mathman said:
Your original statement needs proofreading. I assume you meant V an open convex set (but I'm not sure). Also [itex]V^N[/itex]? In any case, the sum is not necessarily in V, if it exists, but in the closure of V. The sum existence depends on whether on not E is complete.

No I suppose my sum exist . And I clearly wroght V is an open convex.

Related to Convex Vector Spaces: Does Sum Exist in Normed Vectorial Space?

1. What is a convex vector space?

A convex vector space is a mathematical concept in linear algebra that describes a set of vectors where any linear combination of two vectors in the set also belongs to the set. In simpler terms, it is a space where all points between two given points are also included in the set.

2. What is a normed vectorial space?

A normed vectorial space is a vector space equipped with a norm, which is a mathematical function that assigns a non-negative value to each vector in the space. This function defines the length or magnitude of a vector and is used to measure distances and angles between vectors.

3. What is the "sum" in a normed vectorial space?

The "sum" in a normed vectorial space refers to the vector addition operation, where two vectors are added together to produce a new vector. This operation is also sometimes referred to as vectorial addition or vectorial sum.

4. Does the sum exist in all convex vector spaces?

No, the sum may not exist in all convex vector spaces. In order for the sum to exist, certain conditions must be met, such as the space being closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. However, in most cases, the sum will exist in a convex vector space.

5. How is the sum calculated in a normed vectorial space?

The sum in a normed vectorial space is calculated using the vector addition operation, which involves adding each corresponding component of the two vectors together. For example, if we have two vectors v = (v1, v2) and w = (w1, w2), the sum of these two vectors would be (v1 + w1, v2 + w2).