Copying a symbol from latexhelp is extremly annoying

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Addez123
  • Start date
In summary: Find a symbol you wish to use, such as \Psi\phiIn summary, the annoying notice in LaTeX help is due to the fact that the symbols are written in a style called "CSS". This means that you can't copy and paste them as is, but need to use the "show math as" option in your browser to view the equation properly.
Physics news on Phys.org
##\Psi## seems to work fine ?

But what can you do without being logged in ?##\ ##

Likes berkeman, mfb and topsquark
Addez123 said:
1. Go to: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
WITHOUT being logged in.

2. Find a symbol you wish to use, such as \Psi

3. Then copy it and paste it into your equation

4. Voila! You ruined your entire document with this monstrocity
Two options:
1) Learn the Greek alphabet. (The simplest solution, but perhaps a little time consuming.)

2) Try this site. (A more practical option.) You can write your code and copy and paste from there.

-Dan

Yeah, I hate websites that do this. (Sorry @Greg Bernhardt , I do!)

Instead of adding a reference as they do here, some websites even block copying entirely, so you have to open the Developer Tools of your browser to copy, directly from the HTML, the text you want. Some even block the right-click as well, so you have to go into the browser menu to open the Developer Tools.

The worst I have seen was one that sent images as an assembled puzzle. The images you saw were in reality 9 smaller images stitched together such that when you click on it and try to save it, you were only saving part of the image. Guess what? A Print Screen still does the trick to copy the image!

In the end, webmasters can never control the user's browsers, you can just annoy them (and not only the ones that you want to annoy). Once you sent the info to your users, they have it and can do whatever they want with it.

topsquark said:
Learn the Greek alphabet. (The simplest solution, but perhaps a little time consuming.)
Keeping in mind that I am neither going for nor against the OP, how will one read out equations or remember them without knowing what Greek letter it is? It is not really possible to proceed in physics without knowing the Greek alphabet. Therefore, by the time one is using ##\LaTeX##, it is expected that they will know the Greek alphabet.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
The equations are built with CSS. Your browser copy and paste don't work like that. Instead, right-click the equation and choose "show math as" or "copy to clipboard".

Likes topsquark, Wrichik Basu and Nugatory
Greg Bernhardt said:
The equations are built with CSS. Your browser copy and paste don't work like that. Instead, right-click the equation and choose "show math as" or "copy to clipboard".
Oh. Thanks Greg. I never knew you could do "show math as".

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think what the OP refers to is the added sentence "Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/" to anything you copy on the website (when you are not logged in). Let me copy the first sentence of your post and paste it into the following quote:
The equations are built with CSS.
Now I open this same thread in another browser where I'm not logged in PF and copy the same sentence and paste it in the following quote:
Imagine when you only want to copy the text \Phi and paste it into a latex equation with this added [annoying] notice.

Likes Addez123 and topsquark
Addez123 said:
Find a symbol you wish to use, such as \Psi

Addez123 said:
\phi
I too would be very annoyed if I copied the LaTeX for ##\Psi## (##\Psi##), but got this one, ##\phi## (##\phi##), instead.

• Haha
Likes Addez123, BvU and Wrichik Basu

1. Why is copying a symbol from latexhelp often considered annoying?

Copying a symbol from latexhelp can be considered annoying because the symbol may not render correctly or may not be compatible with the document or software being used. This can lead to frustration and wasted time trying to fix the issue.

2. How can I avoid the annoyance of copying symbols from latexhelp?

One way to avoid the annoyance of copying symbols from latexhelp is to use a dedicated symbol editor or package specifically designed for your document or software. This can ensure compatibility and proper rendering of symbols.

3. Are there any tips for successfully copying symbols from latexhelp?

Yes, one tip for successfully copying symbols from latexhelp is to use the appropriate font or package for your document or software. It is also helpful to double check the symbol's code or syntax to ensure it is correct.

4. Can I customize or modify a symbol from latexhelp?

Yes, many symbols from latexhelp can be customized or modified to fit your specific needs. This can be done by adjusting the code or using a symbol editor to make changes to the design.

5. What should I do if I encounter an error while copying a symbol from latexhelp?

If you encounter an error while copying a symbol from latexhelp, you can try using a different font or package, checking the code for errors, or reaching out to the latexhelp community for assistance. It may also be helpful to consult the documentation for the document or software you are using.