Coronal hole and magnetic field

In summary, the magnetic fields on the sun are closed fields which stay in one hemisphere. When the current sheets get thin, the second term in Faraday's law dominates and you get a process of reconnection.
ATY
Hey guys,
I have a question. I am doing some homework for university and got super confused (probably just messing up things). So in school you learn that magnetic monopols do not exist. But my question is now: On the sun there are coronal holes, region where the magnetic field is not able to connect to a field of opposite polarity, so that the magnetic field lines reach out into space.
But this confuses me: When the magnetic field lines can not connect to something else, wouldn't this be a magnetic monopol ?
Also another question: the "polarity inversion line" is the line, where both magnetic fields are equally strong ?

Sorry for this stupid question, but we never really learned much about magnetic stuff and all these lines and fields really confuse me.

Have a nice day.
ATY

Physics news on Phys.org
ATY said:
But this confuses me: When the magnetic field lines can not connect to something else, wouldn't this be a magnetic monopol ?

no, because the magnetic poles still exist on the Sun's surface and within the outer layers of the sun and there are still field lines closer in that are still connected. It's just that some of the outer lines, where the magnetic field is much weaker, become disconnected.

I admire your critical thinking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_hole

That wikipedia article certainly suggests that the lines do not connect in coronal holes. I suspect that there is more to the story. I'll leave it to others more expert than I to explain.

If you were my student, I would give you an A for your question.

Likes Hamza Abbasi
good question.
It has been many years (~ 20) since I took a class on solar-terrestrial physics but here is my recollection:

The "open" field lines on the sun occur in hemisphere. that is, one hemisphere has outgoing magnetic field liines, and the other has inward going field lines. The solar wind, which is the flow of plasma (charged particles) leaving the sun is highly conducting, so the magnetic field lines are effectively "frozen in" to the plasma. That is, as the plasma flows out, the magnetic field lines stick to the plasma and are convected outwards, getting stretched.

If you look a long way away from the sun, you will see a thin, azimuthal current sheet separating the outward field lines in one hemisphere from the inward field lines in the other hemisphere. Think about what the magnetic field of an infinite current sheet looks like - that is approximately what you will see locally deep in the heliosphere. This current sheet is not typically in the ecliptic plane, so as the sun rotates (every ~27 days I think?) at the Earth we see different polarities for a couple weeks at a time.

EDIT: Note that many (most?) of the field lines of the sun are closed. When you see the cool pictures of the sun you can often see the magnetic field loops in the corona.

Keep reading if you are interested in how we typically model this:

For these large scale, low frequency phenomenon we typically use a single fluid (magnetohydrodynamic, or MHD for short) model of the plasma coupled with Maxwell's equations in order to understand what is going on. In this case, "low frequency" implies that the displacement current is much smaller than the conduction current, so we have (in MKS units)
[tex]
\nabla \times \mathbf{B} = \mu_0 \mathbf{J}
[/tex]
For a highly conductive fluid like the solar wind, a reasonable "Ohm's law" is,
[tex]
\mathbf{J} = \sigma \left( \mathbf{E + v \times B} \right)
[/tex]
where ## \mathbf{v}## is the plasma fluid velocity and ##\sigma## is the conductivity. Combining these equations with Faraday's law yields an equation the describes the magnetic field evolution:
[tex]
\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} = \nabla \times \left( \mathbf{v \times B} \right) + \frac{1}{\sigma \mu_0} \nabla^2 \mathbf{B}
[/tex]
The conductivity of the plasma is HUGE, and in most locations the scale sizes over which things change are very large, so the first term on the right-hand-side usually dominates. This provides the "frozen in" magnetic flux.

However, when the current sheets get thin enough, the second term on the right dominates and we basically have a diffusion equation. So when you get these field lines in opposite directions they diffuse together and a processes known as reconnection occurs:
http://mrx.pppl.gov/Physics/physics.html
This reconnection effectively changes the topology of the magnetic field, and can have the effect of accelerating particles and heating up the plasma.

jason

Last edited:

Related to Coronal hole and magnetic field

1. What is a coronal hole?

A coronal hole is a region on the surface of the sun that appears darker and cooler than its surroundings. This is because the magnetic field lines in this area are open, allowing for the escape of hot plasma and resulting in a lower temperature compared to the rest of the sun's surface.

2. How are coronal holes related to solar activity?

Coronal holes are closely linked to solar activity, as they are often the source of high-speed solar winds that can cause geomagnetic storms on Earth. These storms can disrupt communication systems and cause auroras in the polar regions.

3. What is the role of the magnetic field in coronal holes?

The magnetic field plays a crucial role in the formation and behavior of coronal holes. It is the interaction between the magnetic field and the plasma that causes the open field lines and allows for the escape of particles and solar wind from the sun's surface.

4. How do scientists study coronal holes and their magnetic fields?

Scientists use various instruments, such as telescopes and satellites, to study coronal holes and their associated magnetic fields. These instruments can capture images and measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field in these regions.

5. Can coronal holes cause any harm to Earth?

Coronal holes and their associated solar winds can cause disturbances in the Earth's magnetic field, which can affect communication and navigation systems. However, these events are closely monitored and any potential impacts can be mitigated.