Correcting Constants in Convolution of Fourier Transforms

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the convolution of the Fourier Transform using the definition $\hat{f}(\xi) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)e^{-i\xi x}dx$. The conversation also touches on the definition of convolution and uses a change of variable to arrive at the result $\frac{1}{2\pi}\hat{f}(\xi)\hat{g}(\xi) = (\widehat{f\star g})(\xi)$. However, a correction is made to account for the correct number of constants in the equation.
Dustinsfl
I am trying to prove the convolution of the Fourier Transform
$$
(\widehat{f\star g})(\xi) = 2\pi\hat{f}(\xi)\hat{g}(\xi)
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
With which definition of the Fourier Transform are you working?

$$
\hat{f}(\xi) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)e^{-i\xi x}dx
$$

So, what have you got so far?

Ackbach said:
So, what have you got so far?
$$
2\pi\hat{f}(\xi)\hat{g}(\xi) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)e^{-i\xi x}g(x)e^{-i\xi x}dx
$$

Last edited by a moderator:
And what do you have for the LHS?

Ackbach said:
And what do you have for the LHS?

Not really sure on how to handle the LHS

Well, what is the definition of convolution?

Ackbach said:
Well, what is the definition of convolution?
It isn't the definition of convolution that is throwing me for a loop but the transform of it.
$$
(f\star g)(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)ds
$$

dwsmith said:
It isn't the definition of convolution that is throwing me for a loop but the transform of it.
$$
(f\star g)(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)ds
$$

Great. So the result of this convolution is a function of $x$, correct? Let's say that

$$h(x):=(f\star g)(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)\,ds.$$

Now, can you write down the Fourier Transform of $h$?

Ackbach said:
Great. So the result of this convolution is a function of $x$, correct? Let's say that

$$h(x):=(f\star g)(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)\,ds.$$

Now, can you write down the Fourier Transform of $h$?

$$
\hat{h}(\xi)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}h(x)e^{-i\xi x}dx = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)ds\right)e^{-i\xi x}dx
$$
but how do I get to the RHS now?

I would try putzing around with a change of variable, say, $z=x-s$, and then maybe changing the order of integration. See what that gets you.

Ackbach said:
I would try putzing around with a change of variable, say, $z=x-s$, and then maybe changing the order of integration. See what that gets you.
$$
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)ds\right)e^{-i\xi x}dx=
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(z)ds\right)e^{-i\xi (z+s)}dx
$$
Even with a change of integration order, I don't see how it will get to the right result.

If $z=x-s$, then $x=z+s$. Don't forget to change the differential as well.

dwsmith said:
$$
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)ds\right)e^{-i\xi x}dx=
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(z)ds\right)e^{-i\xi (z+s)}dx
$$
Even with a change of integration order, I don't see how it will get to the right result.
\begin{alignat}{3}
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(z)ds\right)e^{-i\xi (z+s)} d(z + s) & = &
\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)e^{-i\xi s} ds\right)\left(\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(z)e^{-i\xi z}d(z + s)\right)\\
& = & \hat{f}(\xi)\left(\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(z)e^{-i\xi z}d(z + s)\right)
\end{alignat}

Try this instead:

\begin{align*}\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)\,ds\right)e^{-i\xi x}\,dx&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)e^{-i\xi x}\,ds\,dx\\
&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)e^{-i\xi x}\,dx\,ds\\
&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(z)e^{-i\xi (z+s)}\,dz\,ds.
\end{align*}

Where can you go from here?

Ackbach said:
Try this instead:

\begin{align*}\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)\,ds\right)e^{-i\xi x}\,dx&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)e^{-i\xi x}\,ds\,dx\\
&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)e^{-i\xi x}\,dx\,ds\\
&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(z)e^{-i\xi (z+s)}\,dz\,ds.
\end{align*}

Where can you go from here?
But now we have
$$
\frac{1}{2\pi}\hat{f}(\xi)\hat{g}(\xi) = (\widehat{f\star g})(\xi)
$$

dwsmith said:
But now we have
$$
\frac{1}{2\pi}\hat{f}(\xi)\hat{g}(\xi) = (\widehat{f\star g})(\xi)
$$

Check your constants again. To get two Fourier Transforms on the RHS, you need two factors of $2\pi$ in the denominator. How many do you actually have?

Related to Correcting Constants in Convolution of Fourier Transforms

1. What is the purpose of convolving a transform?

The purpose of convolving a transform is to combine two functions and produce a new function that represents the overlap between the two original functions. This allows for the analysis and manipulation of signals or data in the frequency domain.

2. How is convolution of a transform calculated?

The convolution of a transform is calculated by multiplying the two functions in the frequency domain and then taking the inverse Fourier transform of the product. This results in a new function that represents the convolution of the two original functions.

3. What does the convolution theorem state?

The convolution theorem states that convolution in the time domain is equivalent to multiplication in the frequency domain. This means that the convolution of two functions can be simplified by performing a multiplication of their transforms and then taking the inverse transform.

4. What are some applications of convolution of a transform?

Convolution of a transform has various applications in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is commonly used in filtering, deconvolution, and correlation of signals or images. It is also used in operations such as edge detection and feature extraction.

5. Can the convolution of a transform be performed on non-linear functions?

Yes, the convolution of a transform can be performed on both linear and non-linear functions. However, the convolution theorem only applies to linear systems. Non-linear systems require a more complex approach for convolution, such as using numerical methods.