Fourier coefficients of convolution

psie
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to verify to myself that the Fourier coefficients of a convolution are the products of the coefficients of the convoluted functions, but I get stuck.
Let ##h(x)=(f*g)(x)=\frac1{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^\pi f(x-y)g(y)dy## be the convolution. Then its Fourier coefficients are given by $$ {1\over2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^\pi (f*g)(x)e^{-inx}dx={1\over4\pi^2}\int_{-\pi}^\pi\left(\int_{-\pi}^\pi f(x-y)g(y)dy\right)e^{-inx}\ dx\ . $$
Changing the order of integration, we get $${1\over4\pi^2}\int_{-\pi}^\pi g(y) \left(\int_{-\pi}^\pi f(x-y)e^{-inx} dx\right)\,dy\ .$$ Now here I'd like to do the substitution ##t=x-y## in the inner integral, but this makes the limits of integration depend on ##y##, which I do not want. How can I go about this issue?

EDIT: I know that ##h(t)## is periodic with period ##2\pi##. I don't know if this can be helpful in any way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess, after the substitution ##t=x-y##, we get $${1\over4\pi^2}\int_{-\pi}^\pi g(y)e^{-iny} \left(\int_{-\pi-y}^{\pi-y} f(t)e^{-int} dt\right)dy .$$ So here the interval ##[-\pi-y,\pi-y]## is still an interval over a whole period, so we can safely replace it ##[-\pi,\pi]## since ##y## is kept constant in the inner integral anyway. Therefor we get $${1\over4\pi^2}\int_{-\pi}^\pi g(y) e^{-iny}\left(\int_{-\pi}^\pi f(t) e^{-int} dt\right)\,dy\ ,$$ which proves the result.

Likes fresh_42 and FactChecker

What are Fourier coefficients of convolution?

Fourier coefficients of convolution refer to the coefficients obtained when convolving two functions in the Fourier domain. This process involves multiplying the Fourier transforms of the two functions and then taking the inverse Fourier transform of the result.

How are Fourier coefficients of convolution calculated?

To calculate the Fourier coefficients of convolution, you first need to find the Fourier transforms of the two functions you want to convolve. Then, multiply these Fourier transforms together. Finally, take the inverse Fourier transform of the result to obtain the convolution of the two functions.

What is the significance of Fourier coefficients of convolution?

Fourier coefficients of convolution are important in signal processing and image processing. They allow us to efficiently convolve two functions without having to perform the convolution operation directly in the spatial domain.

Can Fourier coefficients of convolution be used to simplify calculations?

Yes, Fourier coefficients of convolution can be used to simplify calculations, especially when dealing with complex functions or large datasets. By performing the convolution operation in the Fourier domain, we can often reduce the computational complexity of the operation.

Are Fourier coefficients of convolution unique for every pair of functions?

Yes, Fourier coefficients of convolution are unique for every pair of functions. The Fourier transform is a linear operation, so the convolution of two functions will always have a unique set of Fourier coefficients that depend on the original functions being convolved.