Correcting units from this physics paper?

• A
  • Thread starter halcyon_zomboid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
halcyon_zomboid
TL;DR Summary
I cannot make units work in this 1973 paper by Hora and need a trustworthy answer.
Hi all,

I've struggled to resolve a units issue in this 1973 paper by Hora:
https://www.academia.edu/23774741/E...tihydrogen_by_lasers_of_very_high_intensities
From the paper:

"
The number [itex]N_p[/itex] of pairs produced in a plasma volume [itex]V[/itex] during a time [itex]\tau[/itex] and a density [itex]n_e[/itex] of electrons is
[tex]N_p=\frac{e^8n_e^2}{\pi\hbar^2m_0^2c^5}V\tau\ln^3\frac{\epsilon_{kin}}{m_0c^2}.[/tex]
"

However, the units do not seem to work out as the LHS is dimensionless.

For what it's worth, I found that Equation (25) is missing one factor of [itex]E_v[/itex]:
[tex]\gamma=\frac{e^2\hbar}{\omega m_0^3c^3}E_v\quad(\mathrm{Incorrect})\quad\Rightarrow\quad\gamma=\frac{e^2\hbar}{\omega m_0^3c^3}E_v^2\quad(\mathrm{Correct})[/tex]

However, I can't tell what factors are missing in this expression. Even in units where [itex]k=1/(4\pi\epsilon_0)=1[/itex], I end up with dimensions of [itex]\mathrm{length}^{-3}[/itex] where I'm expecting dimensionless units.

FWIW, going back to Equation (28):

[tex]\sigma=\frac{e^8}{\pi\hbar^2m_0^2c^6}\ln^3\frac{\epsilon_\mathrm{kin}}{m_0c^2}[/tex]

I get dimensions of [itex]\mathrm{length}^{-2}[/itex], not [itex]\mathrm{length}^2[/itex].

It looks like this is very close to working... please, can someone help me "debug" the units here?

Thanks in advance,
HZ

Physics news on Phys.org
To fllow you what physical dimension e has in your estimation ?