How Do You Determine the Mapping Functions in a Curvilinear Coordinate System?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a mapping technique to solve PDEs in the (y,z) space. The technique involves transforming the equations to a new coordinate space (ŋ,Ƹ) and finding the mapping functions (ŋ(y,z) and Ƹ(y,z)) to solve for the derivatives in the transformed equations. The individual is looking for help in finding these functions and suggestions are given, including researching previous studies and using numerical methods or specialized software.
zaki
Hello,

the physical domain in the (y, z) space is mapped to a rectangular computational region in the (ŋ,Ƹ)-space, where (ŋ,Ƹ) are the new coordinates. This technique frees the computational simulation from geometry restriction.

after transforming the governing equations ( PDEs) to the (ŋ,Ƹ)-space, i found a problem: i need to get the mapping relating (y,z) to (ŋ,Ƹ) because the derivatives of (y,z) with respect to (ŋ,Ƹ) appear in the transformed PDEs, in other words i need the functions:
ŋ=ŋ(y,z) and Ƹ=Ƹ(y,z)

the geometry is shown in the picture.
can anyone help me finding these functions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have equations for lines ##\eta=const.## and ##\zeta=const.## with parameters y and z ?

Hi there,

It sounds like you are working with a transformation technique called "mapping" to solve your PDEs. I'm not an expert in this area, but I can try to offer some suggestions.

Firstly, have you tried looking at the literature or research papers on this technique? Sometimes, the mapping functions (ŋ and Ƹ) are already defined and used in previous studies. You can also try reaching out to the authors of these papers for more information.

If that doesn't work, you could try using a numerical method to approximate the mapping functions. This involves dividing your (y,z) space into a grid and solving for the values of ŋ and Ƹ at each grid point. This may not be the most accurate method, but it could give you a good starting point.

Another option is to use a computer program or software that specializes in mapping techniques. These programs often have built-in functions for calculating the mapping functions for different geometries.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

Related to How Do You Determine the Mapping Functions in a Curvilinear Coordinate System?

1. What is a curvilinear coordinate system?

A curvilinear coordinate system is a mathematical system used to describe the position of a point in space using a set of coordinates that are not necessarily linear. These coordinates are typically based on a curved surface or curved axes, rather than straight lines.

2. What are some examples of curvilinear coordinate systems?

Some examples of curvilinear coordinate systems include polar coordinates, spherical coordinates, and cylindrical coordinates. These systems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe the position and movement of objects in three-dimensional space.

3. How do curvilinear coordinate systems differ from Cartesian coordinate systems?

Curvilinear coordinate systems differ from Cartesian coordinate systems in that they use curved axes or surfaces to describe the position of a point, while Cartesian systems use straight lines. This makes them better suited for describing objects with curved shapes or those moving in circular or spherical paths.

4. What are the advantages of using a curvilinear coordinate system?

One advantage of using a curvilinear coordinate system is that it can simplify calculations for objects with curved shapes or those moving in curved paths. It can also provide a more intuitive understanding of the position and movement of objects in three-dimensional space.

5. How are curvilinear coordinate systems used in scientific research?

Curvilinear coordinate systems are used in scientific research to describe the position and movement of objects in three-dimensional space. They are particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, where objects and phenomena often have curved shapes or move along curved paths.