Definite integration of f(x)/sqrt(-(x-q1)(x-q2))

• Thread starter ianbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the definite integral of a function involving sine and a quadratic in the denominator, with the goal of finding the potential of a circular ring of integration. The participants suggest techniques such as contour integration, using residues, and expanding the function as a Laurent series. It is suggested to try using Mathematica or solving the indefinite integral first before attempting the definite integral.
ianbell
Recently I fruitlessly asked if anybody could help with the definite integral of
sin(a x) / ( x sqrt(-(x-q1)(x-q2)) )
from x=q1 to x=q2 where a,x, q1 and q2 are all real.

If the sqrt wasn't there one could use contour integration and consider residues at q1,q2 and 0 but with the sqrt I am somewhat stumped.

Yet this seems an obvious area to me: integrations between the roots of a quadratic Q(x) of functions of the form f(x) / Q(x)^alpha .

Is this really virgin territory?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to say I probably have never done such integrals before (i may have but if it is must be some time ago), have you tried expanding the bit without the sin as a Laurent series and see if you can do term by term integration? Note: this is just a suggestion, not a hint. :smile:

Thanks for that. I've not tried it. I'm not that keen on tackling this analytically since my calculus is very rusty and I was hoping it would be a standard problem, already tackled.

The definite integral between the quadratic roots of f(x) / sqrt(Q(x)) for f(x) ammoung the basic fundamental functions (x^n, sin(a x), exp(x) etc) feels
like a field that somebody would have addressed.

If, for example, you integrate V(sqrt(x^2 + r^2 + R^2 - 2 x R cos(theta)))
from theta=0 to 2 pi corresponding to the potential at (x,0,z)
of an origin centred ring of radius R of matter generating radial potential V(r)
and make the obvious substitution you face the integral from
s=s1= z^2+(r-R)^2 to s=s2= z^2+(r+R)^2 of
V(sqrt(s)) / sqrt(Q(s))
where Q(s) = -(s-s1)(s-s2)
so with f(x) = 1/sqrt(x) we have the Coulomb potential of a charged ring.

t arises as the potential of a circular ring of integration arounnd a ring

Putting the limits of the integral aside, if you can analytically do the indefinite integral then no worries about the limits at all. My concern is that if you want to do it as a contour integral, don't you need at least one limit to go to [tex]\pm\infty[/tex]? So that you can actually close the contour, Or is there a neat trick somewhere to avoid that? I must admit I haven't thought about this carefully so far... but if you are not keen on doing it analytically, you may as well do it numerically. or try using Mathematica to see whether you actual have analytic solution first.

Obviously if you can do the indefinite integral the definite is easy but I suspect the definite integral (corresponding to the potential of a full ring) is likely to be easier. To do it with contour you'd obviously have to close the contour from q1 to q2 somehow.

I don't have Mathematica. The Wolfram online integrator fails for indefinite integrals of sin(a x)/ sqrt(-(x-b)(x-c)) and sin(a x)/x / sqrt(-(x-b)(x-c))

Related to Definite integration of f(x)/sqrt(-(x-q1)(x-q2))

1. What is definite integration?

Definite integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to calculate the total value of a function within a given interval.

2. What is f(x)/sqrt(-(x-q1)(x-q2))?

f(x)/sqrt(-(x-q1)(x-q2)) is a mathematical function that involves a square root and two constants, q1 and q2. It is commonly used in problems involving integration and can be solved using various techniques such as substitution or partial fractions.

3. How do you solve definite integration of f(x)/sqrt(-(x-q1)(x-q2))?

To solve this type of definite integration, you can start by identifying the values of q1 and q2. Then, you can use techniques such as substitution or partial fractions to simplify the function. Finally, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral and find the final solution.

4. What are the applications of definite integration of f(x)/sqrt(-(x-q1)(x-q2))?

Definite integration of f(x)/sqrt(-(x-q1)(x-q2)) has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the area under a curve, the volume of a solid, the work done by a force, and many other quantities that involve integration.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving definite integration of f(x)/sqrt(-(x-q1)(x-q2))?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving this type of definite integration. For example, if q1 and q2 are equal, the function becomes undefined and cannot be integrated. Additionally, if the values of q1 and q2 are such that the function has a discontinuity, the integral may need to be split into smaller intervals for accurate calculation.