Deriving electrodynamic equations

In summary, the equations can all be derived from the Maxwell Equations with enough knowledge of vector calculus.
tempneff
Hey all. I am taking my second college physics course (electromagnetic physics) and am looking for some help deriving the equations. I found it very helpful to know how to derive many of the equations in my first physics course. So far we have studied e fields, guass's law, capacitors, resisters, potential, and power. The equations are beginning to pile up. My professor said they can all be derived from Va-Vb=∫E ds

Is he accurate?

Physics news on Phys.org
They can all pretty much be derived from the Maxwell Equations with sufficient knowledge of vector calculus.

I am in vector calculus as well, but is it really necessary to derive them that way? Basic calculus is the only prerequisite for the course. Does anyone know how to derive them from ∫E ds

The equation you gave is merely a definition of the voltage, I don't think you can "derive" Gauss's law from that.

Which equations specifically are you trying to derive?

tempneff said:
I am in vector calculus as well, but is it really necessary to derive them that way? Basic calculus is the only prerequisite for the course. Does anyone know how to derive them from ∫E ds

That would be vector calculus. Gauss' Law is
[tex] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{D} = \rho [/tex]
Taking the integral over volumetric space and using the divergence theorem,
[tex] \int \mathbf{D} \cdot d \mathbf{S} = \int \rho dV = Q_{enclosed}[/tex]
If we assume a homogeneous medium then finally,
[tex] \int \mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{S} = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon} [/tex]

Now in electrostatics, Maxwell's Equations state that the curl of the electric field is zero. That is,
[tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{E} = 0[/tex]
This allows us to represent the electric field as the gradient of a scalar since the curl of a gradient is always zero. Thus, we choose this scalar to be the electric potential.
[tex] \mathbf{E} = -\nabla V [/tex]
If we take the line integral of the electric field from some point B to A we get via the gradient theorem,
[tex] \int_b^a \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{\ell} = V_b - V_a [/tex]
which is path independent because the electrostatic field is conservative (by virtue of being curl free). Finally, we can use Gauss' Law to see that
[tex] \nabla^2 V = -\frac{\rho}{\epsilon} [/tex]
which is Poisson's Equation.

Excellent that's helpful! Thank you

Related to Deriving electrodynamic equations

What is the purpose of deriving electrodynamic equations?

The purpose of deriving electrodynamic equations is to mathematically describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how they interact with charged particles. This is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena, such as electricity, magnetism, and light.

What are the fundamental electrodynamic equations?

The fundamental electrodynamic equations are Maxwell's equations, which consist of four equations: Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law of induction, and Ampere's law with Maxwell's correction. These equations form the basis of classical electromagnetism and are used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

How are electrodynamic equations derived?

Electrodynamic equations are derived using mathematical methods, such as vector calculus, differential equations, and the principles of electromagnetism. They are based on experimental observations and theoretical understanding of the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

What are some applications of electrodynamic equations?

Electrodynamic equations have many practical applications, including the design of electronic devices, telecommunications, power generation, and transportation. They are also used in fields such as optics, plasma physics, and astrophysics to study the behavior of electromagnetic waves and particles.

What are some challenges in deriving electrodynamic equations?

One of the main challenges in deriving electrodynamic equations is accurately modeling and predicting the behavior of complex systems, such as those involving moving charges or changing magnetic fields. This requires advanced mathematical techniques and computational methods. Another challenge is incorporating the effects of relativity and quantum mechanics into the equations, which is necessary for a complete understanding of electromagnetism.