Describing All covering Spaces of a Product Space

In summary, the conversation discusses finding all covering spaces of the product spaceX= RP^3 x RP^4, using the facts that S^3 covers RP^3 and S^4 covers RP^4 with maps given by the action of Z/2 on each of the S^n's. The conversation also mentions that covering spaces are classified by the fundamental group and that there is a related result dealing with subgroups of the deck/transformation group. The conversation ends with a suggestion to google "classification of covering spaces by fundamental group" for more help.
Bacle
Hi, All:

Say we are given the product spaceX= RP^3 x RP^4 (projective real 3- and 4-space resp.) and we want to find all covering spaces of X. The obvious thing todo would seem to be to use the facts:

i) S^3 covers RP^3; S^4 covers RP^4, both with maps given by the action of Z/2 on
each of the S^n's , i.e., we identify antipodal points in each S^n.

ii) Product of covering spaces is a covering space of the product X

But: how can we guarantee that S^3 XS^4 is the only possible covering space for X?

I think there is a related result dealing with subgroups of the deck/transformation group

( which is Z//2 here ) , but I am not sure.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
covering spaces are classified by the fundamental group, so you want to know the fundamental group of the product space. that is fairly easy.

Thanks; but what do I do after I calculate Pi_1 ? I know there is some result with

its subgroups, but I am not clear on what that is. Any refs/ name of result, please?

have you googled:

classification of covering spaces by fundamental group ?

if you need more help just ask.

That's O.K. Mathwonk, thanks; from what I got, we mod out the universal covering spaces
by all subgroups of the fundamental group ; in our case, we have the product
S^3 x S^4 modded out by all products of subgroups.

Related to Describing All covering Spaces of a Product Space

1. What is a covering space?

A covering space is a topological space that maps onto another space in a way that preserves the local topology. This means that every point in the second space has a neighborhood that is homeomorphic to a neighborhood in the first space.

2. What is a product space?

A product space is the Cartesian product of two or more topological spaces. It is a way of combining multiple spaces into one larger space, where the points in the product space are ordered pairs of points from the individual spaces.

3. How are covering spaces of a product space described?

Covering spaces of a product space are described by their projection maps, which are continuous maps from the covering space to the product space. The projection maps must satisfy certain conditions in order for the covering space to be a valid covering space of the product space.

4. What are the main types of covering spaces of a product space?

The main types of covering spaces of a product space are the trivial covering space, the universal covering space, and the regular covering space. The trivial covering space is the product space itself, the universal covering space is the space that maps onto every point in the product space, and the regular covering space is the space that is locally homeomorphic to the product space.

5. How do covering spaces of a product space relate to the fundamental group?

Covering spaces of a product space are closely related to the fundamental group of the product space. The fundamental group of a product space is the direct product of the fundamental groups of the individual spaces. The number of sheets in a covering space of a product space is equal to the index of the subgroup corresponding to the first factor in the direct product of fundamental groups.