Determining Speed of Muons: Exercise Problem

In summary, to determine the speed of muons, you can use the equation v/c = x/sqrt(x^2 + t^2), where x is the distance the muon must travel (the height of the atmosphere) and t is the lifetime of the muon in its rest frame. This equation can be solved to find the necessary velocity of the muon to achieve a certain decay rate, as observed by someone on Earth. If you are stuck, you can refer to an MIT paper for the measured speed or potentially find old calculations from school.
liquidFuzz
I try to determine the speed of muons. In an book I have there's an exercise regarding muons.

Given that they half of them decay in [itex]2.2 * 10^{-6}[/itex] s, how fast do they have to travel if half of them is to reach earth, ocean floor?

I tried to calculate the speed but I get to a point where I have two unknowns and one equation...

[itex]t' = \gamma t[/itex]

How do I get further..? Assuming a speed close to c to get a t', or?

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the times is the life-time of the muon in the muon's rest frame: 2.2 * 10^-6

Perspicacious, thanks a million!

Any ideas of how to treat the velocity and time?

Well t' is the time from the muon's frame and you can use your equation to calculate the decay rate as observed by someone on Earth if you know the speed of the muon. You know the opposite, from the information you have you can calculate the required decay rate and use the equation to get the necessary velocity of the muon to achieve that.

Just to let you know, I have worked out the speed based on the information you gave and a few other rough pieces of information. The results is actually surprisingly close to the measured speed that I found in an MIT paper, so if you are still stuck then I can keep pointing you in the right direction.

t is the proper time, and gives the muon's decay rate in the muon's rest frame. This is 2.2 * 10^-6 sec. t' is the dilated muon lifetime as measured by someone here on earth. It will be larger than t. Take v = x/t', where x is the distance that the muon must travel.

Thanks for the input. Thinking about it I'm pretty sure we did this calculation back in school, maybe I can find some old scribbling in one of my note books.

(I'm going on a weeks holiday to morrow, so I'm not sure I'll be able to tinker or post here. I'll update you asap though.)

First you need to know the distance the muon travels (the height of the atmosphere as measured in the Earth rest frame). Call this x.

The speed of the muon in the Earth frame (relative to the speed of light) is then v/c = x/t'.

Using a bit of algebra:

[tex] \frac{v}{c} = \frac{x}{t'} = \frac{x}{\gamma t} = \frac{x \sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}{t} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{v^2}{c^2} = \frac{x^2 (1-v^2/c^2)}{t^2} [/tex]

Solve for v/c:

[tex] \frac{v}{c} = \pm \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2 + t^2}} [/tex]

You already know t (the lifetime of the muon in the muon's rest frame) and you can easily find x from a Google search, so there are now no unknowns on the right and only one unknown on the left.

Last edited:

Related to Determining Speed of Muons: Exercise Problem

What are muons?

Muons are subatomic particles that are similar to electrons, but with a larger mass. They are unstable particles that are constantly created in the Earth's atmosphere and can travel at high speeds.

How is the speed of muons determined?

The speed of muons can be determined through various methods, including using particle accelerators and detectors. In this exercise problem, the speed can be determined by measuring the distance traveled by the muons and the time it takes them to travel that distance.

Why is determining the speed of muons important?

Determining the speed of muons is important for understanding the properties of these particles and their behavior. It can also provide valuable information for other scientific studies, such as in the fields of particle physics and cosmology.

What are some challenges in determining the speed of muons?

One challenge is that muons are constantly created and decay, making it difficult to accurately measure their speed. Additionally, external factors such as cosmic rays and magnetic fields can affect the movement of muons, adding another layer of complexity to the measurement process.

How can the accuracy of measuring the speed of muons be improved?

The accuracy of measuring the speed of muons can be improved through the use of advanced technology and equipment, as well as by minimizing external factors that can affect the movement of muons. Collaborating with other scientists and conducting multiple experiments can also help improve the accuracy of the results.