Do we distinguish cases for n?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary: Thinking)In summary, we discussed how to find the upper and lower bounds of the set $\{1+ \alpha+ \dots+ \alpha^k+\dots+ \alpha^n \mid n \in \mathbb{N} \}$ when $-1 < \alpha < 0$. We found that the upper bound is $\sigma = (1 + \beta^3)/(1 + \beta) = (1 - \alpha^3)/(1 - \alpha)$, where $\beta = -\alpha$, and that this is also the least upper bound. We also discussed how to find the lower bound, using the fact that $\beta^{n+1} < 1$ when $0 <
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Let $\alpha \neq 1$. I have shown that

$$1+\alpha+ \dots+ \alpha^k+\dots+ \alpha^n=\frac{1-\alpha^{n+1}}{1-\alpha}.$$

Now I want to show that, when $0<|\alpha|<1$, then the set $\{1+ \alpha+ \dots+ \alpha^k+\dots+ \alpha^n \mid n \in \mathbb{N} \}$ is bounded. And I want to find its least upper bound.

I have shown that when $0< \alpha<1$, then the lower bound of the set is $0$ and the least upper bound is $\frac{1}{1-\alpha}$.

So it suffices to find the upper and lower bound of the set when $-1< \alpha<0$.

In this case, we cannot find a general inequality for $\alpha^{n+1}$. Do we distinguish cases for $n$ ? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
In this case, we cannot find a general inequality for $\alpha^{n+1}$.

Hey evinda! (Smile)

Can't we use $-1-|\alpha|-|\alpha|^2-...$ and $1+|\alpha|+|\alpha|^2+...$ as lower and upper bounds? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

Can't we use $-1-|\alpha|-|\alpha|^2-...$ and $1+|\alpha|+|\alpha|^2+...$ as lower and upper bounds? (Wondering)

Ah I see... But can we also find a least upper bound for the general case? (Thinking)

Note $1/(1 - \alpha)$ cannot be the least upper bound when $-1 < \alpha < 0$. For if $\alpha = -1/2$, $1/(1 - \alpha) = 2/3$, but $1 + \alpha = 3/2 > 2/3$.

To handle the negative case, let $\beta = -\alpha$ so that $0 < \beta < 1$. Then

$$1 + \alpha + \cdots + \alpha^n = \begin{cases}\dfrac{1 - \beta^{n+1}}{1+\beta}&\text{if $n$ is odd}\\\dfrac{1 + \beta^{n+1}}{1 + \beta}&\text{if $n$ is even}\\\end{cases}$$

Since $0 < \beta < 1$, in the both cases above, the sum on the left-hand side is bounded above by $\sigma := (1 + \beta^3)/(1 + \beta) = (1 -\alpha^3)/(1 - \alpha)$. Thus, $\sigma$ is an upper bound for your set, call it $S$. Since $1 + \alpha + \alpha^2 = (1 - \alpha^3)/(1 - \alpha) = \sigma$, then $\sigma$ is in fact the least upper bound of $S$.

Euge said:
Note $1/(1 - \alpha)$ cannot be the least upper bound when $-1 < \alpha < 0$. For if $\alpha = -1/2$, $1/(1 - \alpha) = 2/3$, but $1 + \alpha = 3/2 > 2/3$.

To handle the negative case, let $\beta = -\alpha$ so that $0 < \beta < 1$. Then

$$1 + \alpha + \cdots + \alpha^n = \begin{cases}\dfrac{1 - \beta^{n+1}}{1+\beta}&\text{if $n$ is odd}\\\dfrac{1 + \beta^{n+1}}{1 + \beta}&\text{if $n$ is even}\\\end{cases}$$

Since $0 < \beta < 1$, in the both cases above, the sum on the left-hand side is bounded above by $\sigma := (1 + \beta^3)/(1 + \beta) = (1 -\alpha^3)/(1 - \alpha)$. Thus, $\sigma$ is an upper bound for your set, call it $S$. Since $1 + \alpha + \alpha^2 = (1 - \alpha^3)/(1 - \alpha) = \sigma$, then $\sigma$ is in fact the least upper bound of $S$.

How did you find these upper bounds?
I found that the upper bound is $\frac{1}{1+\beta}$ when $n$ is odd, and $\frac{2}{1+\beta}$ when $n$ is even. (Thinking)

I found the upper bounds as follows.We have that $\beta>0$. So $1-\beta^{n+1} <1 \Rightarrow \frac{1-\beta^{n+1}}{1+\beta}<\frac{1}{1+\beta}$.

We also have that $\beta<1 \Rightarrow \beta^{n+1}<1$. So $\frac{1+\beta^{n+1}}{1+\beta}<\frac{2}{1+\beta}$.

First, let me make a correction above: In my example where $\alpha = -1/2$, I meant to say $1/(1 - \alpha) = 2/3$, but $1 + \alpha + \alpha^2 = 1 - 1/2 + 1/4 = 3/4 > 2/3$.

Now since $0 < \beta < 1$, then when $n$ is even, $\beta^{n+1} \le \beta^{2 + 1} = \beta^3$, so then $(1 + \beta^{n+1})/(1 + \beta) \le (1 + \beta^3)/(1 + \beta)$ for even $n$. Since $\beta > 0$, then for all $n$, $(1 - \beta^{n+1})/(1 + \beta) < (1 + \beta^3)/(1 + \beta)$. This is how I obtain $\sigma := (1 + \beta^3)/(1 + \beta) = (1 - \alpha^3)/(1 - \alpha)$ as an upper bound for $S$. Since $\sigma \in S$, then $\sigma$ is the least upper bound for $S$.

Note that your bounds are not the upper bounds, as there are infinitely many upper bounds in the even and odd cases (in fact, there are infinitely many upper bounds for any nonempty bounded subset of the reals).

Euge said:
Now since $0 < \beta < 1$, then when $n$ is even, $\beta^{n+1} \le \beta^{2 + 1} = \beta^3$, so then $(1 + \beta^{n+1})/(1 + \beta) \le (1 + \beta^3)/(1 + \beta)$ for even $n$.

This holds for $n \geq 3$. It does not hold for $n=1$, right?

evinda said:
This holds for $n \geq 3$. It does not hold for $n=1$, right?

n=1 isn't even is it?
And doesn't it hold for n=2? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
n=1 isn't even is it?
And doesn't it hold for n=2? (Wondering)

Oh yes, you are right.

To show that $\frac{1+\beta^3}{1+\beta}$ is indeed the least upper bound, I supposed that there is an $\epsilon>0$ such that $\frac{1+\beta^3}{1+\beta}-\epsilon$ is a smaller upper bound.

When $n$ is even, then we will have that $\frac{1+\beta^{n+1}}{1+\beta}<\frac{1+\beta^3}{1+\beta}-\epsilon, \forall n \in \mathbb{N}$.

Then we get that $n<\frac{\ln{(\beta^3-\epsilon (1+\beta))}}{\ln{(\beta)}}-1$, which is a contradiction.

When $n$ is odd, from $\frac{1-\beta^{n+1}}{1+\beta}< \frac{1+\beta^3}{1+\beta}$ we get that $\beta^{n+1}>-\beta^3+\epsilon(1+\beta)$.

Is $-\beta^3+\epsilon(1+\beta)$ positive? Or how do we find a restriction for $n$ in order to get a contradiction?

I actually gave a proof that $\sigma$ is the least upper bound in my first post, adding more details in my second post.

Euge said:
Since $\sigma \in S$, then $\sigma$ is the least upper bound for $S$.

How do we know that there is no other element in $S$ that is a lower upper bound of the set? (Thinking)

evinda said:
How do we know that there is no other element in $S$ that is a lower upper bound of the set? (Thinking)

If you have a nonempty bounded set $X$ with an upper bound $s$ such that $s\in X$, then $s$ is the least upper bound of $X$. For since $s\in X$, $s\le \sup X$. On the other hand, since $s$ is an upper bound for $X$, $s \ge \sup X$. This shows $\sup X = s$.

Euge said:
If you have a nonempty bounded set $X$ with an upper bound $s$ such that $s\in X$, then $s$ is the least upper bound of $X$. For since $s\in X$, $s\le \sup X$. On the other hand, since $s$ is an upper bound for $X$, $s \ge \sup X$. This shows $\sup X = s$.

Ah I see... And how can we find the lower bound of the set when $-1<\alpha<0$ ?Also.. are my lower and upper bound of the set correct for the case when $0<\alpha<1$ ?

Related to Do we distinguish cases for n?

1. What is the purpose of distinguishing cases for n?

The purpose of distinguishing cases for n is to analyze and understand different scenarios or situations that may affect the value of n. By identifying and categorizing these cases, we can better understand the behavior and patterns of n and make more accurate predictions or decisions.

2. How do we distinguish cases for n?

Distinguishing cases for n involves carefully examining the factors or variables that may affect the value of n. This can include looking at different data sets, conducting experiments, or using mathematical models to simulate various scenarios.

3. Why is it important to distinguish cases for n?

Distinguishing cases for n is important because it allows us to gain a more comprehensive understanding of n and its behavior. This can help us make more informed decisions, identify potential problems or opportunities, and improve the accuracy of our predictions.

4. What are some common cases for n?

Some common cases for n include different values of n in a mathematical equation, different samples or populations in a statistical analysis, and different scenarios in a scientific experiment or study. These cases can also vary depending on the specific context or field of study.

5. How can distinguishing cases for n be applied in real-world situations?

Distinguishing cases for n can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in business, economics, and scientific research. For example, a company may use different cases for n to analyze their sales data and make decisions on marketing strategies. In economics, different cases for n can be used to study the effects of various policies or events on the economy. In scientific research, distinguishing cases for n can help identify patterns and relationships between variables and make predictions about future outcomes.