Dynamics, angular acceleration

In summary, the block D of the mechanism is confined to move within the slot of member CB . Link AD is rotating at a constant rate of ωAD = 4 rad/s measured counterclockwise. The first integral with respect to time will give instantaneous velocity, the second integral will give instantaneous acceleration of the slider pin (which is always equidistant to the sides of the slot). Knowing those instantaneous values for the 60 degree position shown you can calculate the instantaneous angular velocity and angular acceleration of the slotted arm.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Block D of the mechanism is confined to move within the slot of member CB . Link AD is rotating at a constant rate of ωAD = 4 rad/s measured counterclockwise. Suppose that a = 350 mm , b = 200 mm.

Find wCB and αCD

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I hope its ok that I just scanned my work and uploaded it, I thought it would be easier to read from my paper than trying to organize it on here. I know my angular velocity is correct, but I can't seem to find the angular acceleration for CD :(

Attachments

• dyn16.pdf
    537.7 KB · Views: 714
  • 16.139.png
    16.139.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 971
First generate the x and y position equation of the slider itself (so far, simple). The first integral with respect to time will give instantaneous velocity, the second integral will give instantaneous acceleration of the slider pin (which is always equidistant to the sides of the slot). These integrals should be available on the web or in a good mechanical technician's handbook if you don't feel like doing the integration. Knowing those instantaneous values for the 60 degree position shown you can calculate the instantaneous angular velocity and angular acceleration of the slotted arm (translate the x and y values to values perpendicular to the slotted arm).

Hope that helps.

Why would I use an integral on this problem? I don't have any functions to integrate?

jdawg said:
Why would I use an integral on this problem? I don't have any functions to integrate?
You mean, you haven't developed them yet.

Ohhh... I don't think I was taught that technique. I might loose points on the exam if I don't do it the way I was taught.

jdawg said:
Ohhh... I don't think I was taught that technique. I might loose points on the exam if I don't do it the way I was taught.
OldYat47 got confused. Where he says "integral", he means "derivative" to find velocity or acceleration.

Yes, I reversed the terms. I'm fighting a bad flu and am not thinking too clearly. The approach I presented is a simple way to find the solution. If you are being taught a particular method you are correct, you'd better stick with that. I'm just not up to working through the math.

Yeah, these problems are tedious. I would definitely not feel like working one if I was sick, I hope you get better soon!

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I mess up on finding the acceleration at least 90% of the time. I feel like I'm following the procedure exactly. Am I just making some dumb algebra mistake? Or maybe not assigning the correct direction to some position vectors or something?

Related to Dynamics, angular acceleration

1. What is dynamics and angular acceleration?

Dynamics refers to the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and the forces that cause them to move. Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity changes over time.

2. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is related to linear acceleration through the equation a = rα, where a is linear acceleration, r is the radius of the circular path, and α is angular acceleration. This means that as angular acceleration increases, linear acceleration also increases.

3. How is angular acceleration measured?

Angular acceleration is measured in units of radians per second squared (rad/s^2) or degrees per second squared (°/s^2). It can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time.

4. What factors affect angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is affected by the net torque acting on an object, the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion), and the object's mass and shape.

5. How is angular acceleration used in real-world applications?

Angular acceleration is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing amusement park rides, analyzing the movement of celestial bodies, and understanding the motion of athletes in sports like gymnastics and figure skating.