Educating the general public about pro nuclear energy?

In summary, some people fear nuclear power because of the Fukushima incident. However, the fear is not based on any factual information. The fear is based on media coverage that is biased and inaccurate.
mheslep said:
Such a test facility would have likely exposed the Chernobyl design before the fact.
It was known that the design is problematic. There were various safety rules in place to prevent an accident. These rules were violated deliberately. I'm not sure how a test facility would have helped. Do you run it with the idea "try to make an accident happen"? Because that is basically what they did in Chernobyl.

Don't bury nuclear waste. Use it. MYRRHA.

Likes jim hardy
Engineering news on Phys.org
mfb said:
It was known that the design is problematic.
Moderator void worth $4 ... (4X enough to reach prompt critical) .
Such a machine was turned over to civilians?
As details of that accident unfolded , I wrote my congressman urging we give Castro an American PWR if he'd abandon that RMBK under construction on Cuba's South coast.

I couldn't help but to stop by, the start was interesting and the end seems is getting there also,
as for the nuclear industry in general definitely the single biggest thing we should talk about is the average death toll per given energy source, because the count of human deaths is a very well established and easy to understand metric for anyone. And in this field oil, gas, coal and others have far surpassed nuclear by many orders of magnitude, so what more is there to say?
If people wouldn't die in car crashes we would never care to make cars safer or roads better simply because there is no need, we have had nuclear energy for about half the time we have had cars, almost anyone knows someone who has died in a car crash, but do you know someone who has died in a nuclear accident?
Sure we should put maximum effort and safety into every aspect of a nuclear reactor since of all the infrastructure objects a typical country has it is the most critical and dangerous one.
I agree that that Japan should have taken greater care of detail, after all the only reason the reactors failed (meltdown) was because the backup diesels were flooded, building a higher barrier would have cost probably pennies but taking care of 4 molten cores and an exclusion zone costs much more than just money.
The TV tower built in soviet times for example in my countries capital was designed to whitstand winds that are higher than the hurricane winds in worlds most affected places yet we have never even had one and by geography we technically even can't but this is the way to design important infrastructure objects not to just barely fit the specification.

So technically Fukushima and Chernobyl even though not comparable are both rather lazy mistakes, the Japanese should have know better that in a time of global natural events getting worse there is an ever higher chance of something like that happening given that their reactors are closer to the sea than I am to a store across street.

One of you called Chernobyl a stupid design here, can't remember who was it, well anyways I think our intellectual capability should extend beyond labeling designs or machines cute or stupid.
The soviet RBMK graphite light water reactor was no mistake it was built deliberately because the government wanted a bunch of very cheap and easy to build yet multipurpose reactors, and as such it is actually a great example because it offers high output power combined with online refueling combined with a simple design and low cost.
If you want plutonium for your bombs and a ton of electricity you can't use a PWR or a BWR because their refueling is harder and costlier.Their construction also and probably maintenance too.
And as some of you already know all to well, even a beast like the RBMK is a perfectly reliable machine if its given the adequate care and safety which in the case of Chernobyl was not the thing that was done.
The problem was actually political in nature, station operators were put at pressure from authorities to conduct the emergency backup power tests and they put themselves in a risky situation because as I have talked with persons that were involved indirectly they said to me that it was a nice and warm spring back in 1986 and the folks which were the shift supervisors like Anatoly Dyatlov
(who miraculously managed to survive 10 years after taking a lethal dose of radiation and not for the first time in his life by the way) were willing to make exceptional safety breaches in order to get the test done once and for all.
The part were the staff being trained in nuclear physics and the supervisors being former navy reactor engineers and designers didn't see the danger coming is beyond me, it's had to say why they were willing to go to such extremes like pulling out the minimum left control rods which was strictly forbidden by the manual and was done only after the security system that restricts that was disabled along with some others.
There was also this idea (again can;t remember who said it here on this thread) that why the fukushima reactor buildings were not better built to whitstand the hydrogen explosion, but that is a bad point, instead of building something to be able to take enormous explosions we should rather focus on how to make it safer in the first place so that it would never reach such a condition.
The negative feedback in PWR, BWR, VVER and some other reactors is just one example of that idea.
As for the RBMK like in Chernobyl , I can't say whether a typical PWR vessels would be enough to contain the explosive yield which sent the Chernobyl reactor building up in smoke.
I actually think that well looking from a modern perspective the RBMK was a design which should have never been used for civil purposes only maybe for strictly military supervised use with electrical grid output as a secondary thing instead of employing half informed former navy small reactor guys like Dyatlov as shift supervisors as he himself said in the memoirs after the accident that he wasn't fully aware of the specifics of the reactor performance at its or close to its safety margins, a story which later was twisted and probably would explain why he wanted to continue the test after the staff realized the xenon poisoning due to running the reactor at low power.So basically the nuclear industry comes down to what? It comes down to a few accidents right after WW2 and we can't even call them accidents because back then both regulation and military arms race was such that operating a small scale plutonium reactor with a single coolant loop which was extracting water from a lake and pumping it through the core and then letting it back into the lake was considered normal procedure.
Then we have Chernobyl which to be fair I would say is a political mistake not a technical one, simply because both the approval for such reactors and the way the test at 86 was carried out was completely and fully an operators error and on many levels starting from the local officials and their desire for good looking paperwork down to the shift supervisors disabling security systems and yelling at each other at the control room trying to decide whether to procede or not. Keep in mind the folks who designed the reactor and scientists from the Kurchatov institute and other places knew well the flaws of this reactor, yet politics did not allow them to explain these details to the staff.

And then we have Fukushima, basically a simple failure to assess the highest logically possible risk for that area, maybe it would have been enough to relocate the diesels further away from the shore and that's it , no need for higher wall.

Now as we keep in mind that these two biggest accidents were not actually technical in nature, only their outcome was a technical failure but started out as a human error. Keeping in mind this I would say I am both amazed and happy that nuclear has proven so safe, if we look at oil for example , many large accidents have been directly technical in nature even without human error. Accidents like the breaking of oil pipelines, gas pipelines, explosion of oil rigs and drilling stations, fires at chemical factories processing oil.
Just how many planes have fallen due to purely technical malfunction.
Taking all this into account I think we should only then evaluate the dangers of a given industry by comparing it. We need a point of reference much like in General relativity, otherwise its useless because as the last presidential election and political culture in general has shown, you can paint a turd red and claim its a sausage and people will believe that for whatever reasons know only to them and their lack of information and ignorance. If the general population can and is fooled by simple political facts then who are we to expect them to understand nuclear especially in the background of huge money lobbying and special interests working to shape the minds of society to whatever they find good.
Sorry for a lengthy post.

mfb said:
It was known that the design is problematic
Yes by some, I know. Many problematic designs move forward in all kinds of technologies until failure in test makes the problem and consequences clear to all.

you run it with the idea "try to make an accident happen"?
Not sure what you mean here. All catastrophic tests, like those aircraft tests above, try to make an accident happen, but under controlled circumstances. It need not be done with a full sized reactor, nor any electricity conversion or other balance of plant equipment. Running a test version of that RBMK, in an appropriate test facility, at low power (and all other feasible profiles) and would dramatically destroy a test reactor as well.

girts said:
so what more is there to say
That unfortunately much of the public doesn't care about deaths per kWh, but harbors a fear of radiation released by a nuclear power plant run by Homer Simpson. That dozens of new coal plants underway in Japan, as people don't harbor a similar fear of fire. That many competing energy sources fight the advent of inexpensive nuclear power.

anti-nuclear_coal_ad_md.jpg

russ_watters said:
SredniVashtar said:
You are missing the point.
The diesel generators that contributed to the Fuku-up at Daichi were part of plant build by people who allegedely should have understood risk assessment. They clearly did not understand it too well, did they? I wonder if money played a part in that kind of overlooking.
Probably. But every accident makes the next one less likely.

Well, my whole point is that the safety of a nuclear plant is not merely a technical problem. And with Fukushima we have seen how - despite the technical solution was clearly at hand, poor judgement on the management part has led to the loss of multiple reactors.

But now we are much wiser.
Who knows what are we are going to learn with the next major nuclear accident.

russ_watters said:
Like with planes. I can't even remember the last time an airliner crashed in the USA.

It was on 9/11 2001.
Not a technical problem, but a political one.

russ_watters said:
SredniVashtar said:
As for the wastes, that 3% that decays between 1000 and 10000 years [...] can you be sure they will be taken care of after all that time? Will you write instruction in English, Latin, Sumerian, Hieroglyphs or Linear A? Ten thousand years is a long time.
So what/who cares? If civilization has fallen so far that whomever is left can't understand any current language or a giant sign with a skull and crossbones on it, they will certainly have bigger problems to be concerned about than what is in that barrel.

Of course. Before someone found the Rosetta stone, civilization was a shamble and had produced nothing valuable since Tutankamon. It would have been better if we all had been wiped away in 1899 because if we had lost the ability to understand the language of one of the most advanced civilizations of a few thousand years before...
As I said before, five-ten thousand years are a veeeeeery long time. Consider that with all our current wisdom we did not even bother to pay attention to the decipherable warnings saying "do not build under this line"...
I guess somebody else at Tepco uttered the famous "So what/who cares?"

Edited to fix some of my lousy grammar, but not all.

Last edited:
SredniVashtar said:
It was on 9/11 2001.
Not a technical problem, but a political one.
Since September 11, 2001, there have been several crashes of commercial aircraft in the US.

A partial list - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/major-u-s-plane-crashes-sept-11-article-1.1391967
The article was posted after Asiana Airlines flight crashed at San Francisco International Airport, killing two and injuring dozens in July 2013.

A well-known event - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_Flight_1549 - and all survived.

There is a risk in flying, but most folks are willing to take that risk, but is a choice voluntarily made.

Airline safety in the US is in part due to the regulation by the FAA.
SredniVashtar said:
And with Fukushima we have seen how - despite the technical solution was clearly at hand, poor judgement on the management part has led to the loss of multiple reactors.
Just to clarify, following inundation of the plant by tsunami and the subsequent loss of emergency power, the technical solution was clearly not at hand. The state of the plant was outside of any guidance they had.

Prior to the Tohoku earthquake, the technical solution to protect the plant was certainly clear: Build a higher seawall, or at least ensure each unit had secure emergency diesel generators with secure fuel supply well away from the shoreline, and ensure the basement areas where electrical equipment were immune to flooding. There were critics who did point to the fact that the plant was not protected against expected tsunamis.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...s-311-tsunami-says-seismologist/#.WSUE3Xk2ypo

There was a failure by government as well as corporate management. It looks like a government official ignored knowledgeable scientists.

Likes HAYAO, OmCheeto and jim hardy
Astronuc said:
Just to clarify, following inundation of the plant by tsunami and the subsequent loss of emergency power, the technical solution was clearly not at hand. The state of the plant was outside of any guidance they had.

Prior to the Tohoku earthquake, the technical solution to protect the plant was certainly clear: Build a higher seawall, or at least ensure each unit had secure emergency diesel generators with secure fuel supply well away from the shoreline, and ensure the basement areas where electrical equipment were immune to flooding. There were critics who did point to the fact that the plant was not protected against expected tsunamis.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...s-311-tsunami-says-seismologist/#.WSUE3Xk2ypo

There was a failure by government as well as corporate management. It looks like a government official ignored knowledgeable scientists.
Just stopping by to say that I wholeheartedly agree to this, except just one thing that was left out.
There was a technical solution after loss of emergency power: just pour sea water.

Why didn't they do that? Well this is the political and corporate management issue like you mentioned. It's because pouring sea water permanently damages the reactor, which was something they didn't want because of financial issue and the government's political goal of relying more on nuclear power. The people there were ordered strictly not to pour sea water until they get access to clean water. The meltdown happened while they were waiting.

HAYAO said:
There was a technical solution after loss of emergency power: just pour sea water.

To a plant guy that is equivalent to killing your own child. You don't "Just Do It" with a light heart .

Hindsight is always 20/20. That was one of several things to try and among the least palatable.

Had they known the tidal wave would soon kill all power they could have violated their cooldown rate (at risk of ruining the vessel) and likely have saved the fuel.

jim hardy said:
To a plant guy that is equivalent to killing your own child. You don't "Just Do It" with a light heart .

Hindsight is always 20/20. That was one of several things to try and among the least palatable.

Had they known the tidal wave would soon kill all power they could have violated their cooldown rate (at risk of ruining the vessel) and likely have saved the fuel.
That was the only thing that they could have done. They had no access to clean water and they didn't even know when they would. This is not even a discussion about hindsight. They basically just had to do it. Prime minister at that time probably ignored that, though.

HAYAO said:
That was the only thing that they could have done.
Oh ?

HAYAO said:

Why didn't they do that?
They did do that. That's when it became obvious is was a severe (beyond design basis) accident.

The problem was they didn't have power once the emergency diesel generators and electrical buses got taken out by the tsunami and flooding. They had to use pump trucks, or fire trucks to draw seawater and get it up to the reactor. Then there was the complication of any leaks to the primary system. There is some speculation that there may be leaks in the piping or penetrations at the base of the pressure vessel. If that is so, no matter how much water was pumped in, it simply drained out the bottom and never got into the core, which is where it needed to be. Even so, hot seawater would severally corrode the stainless steel and may have chemically reacted with the Zircaloy, which could have produced hydrogen from the corrosion reaction. The structural materials inside a power reactor are designed to operate with nearly pure water, particularly in BWRs, whereas in PWRs, boric acid and LiOH (buffer) are added for reactivity and pH control, respectively.

Likes jim hardy
Do any of you BWR guys know what is the inventory of a main condenser hotwell ?
Ours were bigger than a house. But i don't know a number. Been thirty years since i was in one. Could they have been 40 feet by 80 feet by 6 feet ? 143K gallons?

jim hardy said:
Do any of you BWR guys know what is the inventory of a main condenser hotwell ?
Ours were bigger than a house. But i don't know a number. Been thirty years since i was in one. Could they have been 40 feet by 80 feet by 6 feet ? 143K gallons?

Yeah, that's a decent guess.

Likes jim hardy
That's a lot of condensate. I don't recall hearing whether they were able to get at it for core cooling.

I won't 'Monday Morning Quarterback' them.

Astronuc said:
They did do that. That's when it became obvious is was a severe (beyond design basis) accident.
Oh yes, of course I know that. Only except it was after the meltdown happened.

Astronuc said:
Just to clarify, following inundation of the plant by tsunami and the subsequent loss of emergency power, the technical solution was clearly not at hand.

Yep, I must apologize for my lousy English. With solution at hand I meant during design, or anyway after discovering that the risk of a damaging tsunami was not irrelevant but the tsunami was still only a future possibility. Putting the diesel generators in a safe zone back then would have prevented the loss of the reactors. The whole point of my argument is that the plant at Fukushima should have been safe from day 1 since all measures to make it safe were known and well within the capabilities at the time. The fact that management... managed to fuku it up nonetheless is what invalidates (in my eyes at least) all the beautiful science behind nuclear power generation.

So, in the end, it's not about the science but about your fellow man. Scientists are so focused on the science that they sometimes forget that the lack of trust is not in their achievements and capabilities, but in the greed of the people who manage the business.

P.S.
After the disaster happened, well it's easy now to say what could and should have been done. I can understand the resistance in flooding the reactors with salt water. I too would have waited for some fat cat big shot to make the call and take all the rap. That's why design should have prevented that in the first place.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy
HAYAO said:
Oh yes, of course I know that. Only except it was after the meltdown happened.
If one looks at this post in the thread on the accident, one can find a good reference about the accident.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ear-plants-part-2.711577/page-61#post-5730486

In the IAEA report, Pub1710 (IAEA Report by the Director General) page 34 (47 of 222) in report:

"Status of core cooling in Units 1 and 2

Just before the tsunami struck, the Unit 1 isolation condenser was stopped by the operators in
accordance with established operating procedures to control the reactor cooling rate. This was
accomplished by closing the valves (located outside the primary containment vessel and DC operated,
as shown in Box 2.2, p. 26 (39 of 222 in pdf)). About 2.5 hours after the loss of indications, at 18:18 on 11 March, some of the
status lamps for those valves were found to be functioning, confirming that the control valves were
closed. The operators attempted to start the isolation condenser by opening those valves. However, the
isolation condenser did not function, indicating that the AC powered isolation valves inside the
primary containment vessel were closed.
Thus, the fundamental safety function of core cooling at
Unit 1 was lost when the isolation condenser was stopped by the operators just before the tsunami,
and the Unit 1 core heated up from that time.

Additionally, local measurements (in the reactor building) at 20:07 indicated that the reactor was still
near the operating pressure of 70 bar (7 MPa), which prevented water injection by alternative methods
that would only be possible below 8 bar (0.8 MPa)."

The problem with Unit 1 was the loss of power. With various power-operated valves inoperable, the safety systems, including ECCS could not function properly. Once some valves were shut, with loss of power they could not be reopened. Attempting to pump seawater into Unit 1 would not be possible due to the high pressure within the primary system.

Footnotes on the page provide some additional insight.

The fire protection system was designed primarily for fire suppression and flooding of the containment vessel, not for injection of water into the reactor.

Cross-tie lines had been installed at the Fukushima Daiichi NPP nearly a decade earlier as a design enhancement for accident management. Sharing the functioning emergency power of Unit 6 was only possible for Unit 5, since these interconnections had been installed only between pairs of units, i.e. Units 1 and 2, Units 3 and 4, and Units 5 and 6.

The valve positions were not clear to the operators owing to the uncertain timing and sequence of each type of power loss that would determine the status of isolation valves. All the isolation condenser valves would keep their position when the AC.I don't know if the isolation valves were ever opened on Unit 1, which would have happened too late after the core was damaged anyway. Certainly, the company failed to adequately assure the design of the plant to prevent inundation by a tsunami of the magnitude that struck the plant. The auxiliary building and balance of plant were vulnerable. The designs of Units 5 and 6 were apparently adequate.

Figure 2.2 (page 29 (42 of 222 in pdf) shows the initial responses by the plant operators after the earthquake followed by the first tsunami.
Figure 2.5 (page 45 (58 of 222 in pdf) shows events after the 14.5 m tsunami arrives.

Clearly the utility failed with respect to the General Design Criteria. A 15 or even a 10 m tsunami should have been part of the design basis, since there were records of such tsunamis in the region in the past.

Likes MalcolmB, russ_watters, gmax137 and 2 others
Astronuc said:
Clearly the utility failed with respect to the General Design Criteria.

If i could give your post ten "Likes" i would .

Astronuc said:
The long post

Okay, Astronuc, thank you for providing me those information. I admit I was misinformed of some of the events that have happened. I actually took a whole class in this, but either I forgot part of it or I was taught partially wrong information.Anyhow, I am relieved to know that we can agree on at least one same thing: there was a design flaw that should have been accounted for and fixed that - for whatever political reasons - was not done. Fukushima plant is a very old plant, one of the oldest at the time of the disaster. I can't necessarily blame the people who built it at the time of construction, for the necessary safety measures that was not taken that we would know now, most likely because information (such as potential large tsunami) was not as easily accessible at the time. However, now that information technology has developed, there is no excuse. Fukushima plant was running longer than the original expectancy. I think that is fine as long as they satisfy every single safety criteria required, but it was obvious that it was not. Considering how other plants are made to withstand such natural disasters, there is no excuse to why Fukushima was fine without it.

well, first of all when Fukushima was built the designers knew of the past recorded tsunamis just as much as we know of them today via internet, its not like these weather records somehow only appeared in the last few decades, so that is no excuse. Secondly why do they have to build the reactors so close to the actual coastline, can't they put them like half a mile away from the coastline and simply use pipes to supply the sea cooling water for the cooling of he secondary loop??
And even if the reactors are so close at least put the damn diesels further away, a few more meters of 3 phase electrical cable isn't that expensive compared to a nuclear accident and a cleanup.

But I guess we could blame the folks at Chernobyl even more since they created their own disaster, like why would someone pull out the minimum required control rods from an unstable xenon saturated RBMK core?? Sure to burn away the xenon faster but well ehh prompt criticality doesn't knock on your door before its too late it comes right through in the matter of a split second so they should have known better.

All in all I think this whole deal is like marriage, people have been marrying for centuries and they have also cheated one another for centuries so technically if we were like the anti nuke proponents we should say let's stop marriage altogether, but we don;t do that don't we? We still marry despite all the drawbacks and many couples later say it has been the best time in their lives.
Sure nuclear energy is much more dangerous than a few marriages gone wrong but what did we expect that as humans we would somehow make this one example where we make no mistakes, instead we should learn and focus not to make any more of them in the future,
hopefully that will be the case because we have no alternatives to be honest so we better not screw this one up again.

girts said:
Sure nuclear energy is much more dangerous than a few marriages gone wrong
Marriages gone wrong killed more people than nuclear power.
400/year in Germany alone (although that includes unmarried couples), which is certainly below the world average, so we are looking at tens of thousands of people killing their partners every year globally.

"Death due to nuclear power" is an extremely obscure way to die, even more obscure than death by misusing a lawnmower (~50/year in the US alone).

Likes russ_watters
girts said:
well, first of all when Fukushima was built the designers knew of the past recorded tsunamis just as much as we know of them today via internet, its not like these weather records somehow only appeared in the last few decades, so that is no excuse. Secondly why do they have to build the reactors so close to the actual coastline, can't they put them like half a mile away from the coastline and simply use pipes to supply the sea cooling water for the cooling of he secondary loop??
And even if the reactors are so close at least put the damn diesels further away, a few more meters of 3 phase electrical cable isn't that expensive compared to a nuclear accident and a cleanup.

But I guess we could blame the folks at Chernobyl even more since they created their own disaster, like why would someone pull out the minimum required control rods from an unstable xenon saturated RBMK core?? Sure to burn away the xenon faster but well ehh prompt criticality doesn't knock on your door before its too late it comes right through in the matter of a split second so they should have known better.

All in all I think this whole deal is like marriage, people have been marrying for centuries and they have also cheated one another for centuries so technically if we were like the anti nuke proponents we should say let's stop marriage altogether, but we don;t do that don't we? We still marry despite all the drawbacks and many couples later say it has been the best time in their lives.
Sure nuclear energy is much more dangerous than a few marriages gone wrong but what did we expect that as humans we would somehow make this one example where we make no mistakes, instead we should learn and focus not to make any more of them in the future,
hopefully that will be the case because we have no alternatives to be honest so we better not screw this one up again.
From this post, I understand that you are not well aware of the engineering aspect of nuclear power plants. So I'll get from the fundamentals.

First, construction of Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant began in mid 1967. So the planning of the plant must have been done even earlier than that. That is well before internet was of any practical use, except in military. Documents were not easily accessible at that time. You can easily see that with academic papers of that time, they have significantly less references than the papers today.

Second, practically speaking, reactors can ONLY be built around coastline because the core reactor is made somewhere else in a factory and carried by a cargo ship. Thus, the construction site needs to be reasonably close to where large ships can access.

Third, throughout this entire thread, people have been criticizing the design flaw of Fukushima Plant, and your point was part of it. We can only speculate about the reason why is was built so close to the coast. Were they not aware of the risks of such large Tsunami? Then the discussion comes back to the first point I made above that information was not easily accessible. Or were they simply lazy and didn't realize the flaw? The Nuclear Power Plants that came after Fukushima was improved in design and the point you mentioned have already been addressed.

Fourth, I have no idea what you are trying to say about Chernobyl. But the either way, everyone pretty much agreed that there was a flaw that could have been taken care prior to the disasters, and the fact that they didn't show that the problem is not in the concept of Nuclear power plant itself, but how we run it.

Fifth, marriage killed way more people than nuclear power plant. Also, you might want to keep in mind the difference between a hazard, and a risk. These two are quite different. In fact, nuclear power plant is actually low in both hazard and risk compared to any other power source. Data provided by MattRob shows that. It seems like you are also one of those people who have been mislead by the media or general public being extremely biased against nuclear power.A little piece of advice: you should improve the quality of your post. The content itself and the questions are fine, but the way you use your words are quite immature to be honest.

I find your critique of my latest post unreasonable to be honest, HAYAO.
First of all , please don't tell me that in 1960's the industry built nuclear power plants and got their geology and weather data from sticks and stones, just because every high school senior did not have access to all the data doesn't mean people building important industrial facilities did not have the data that is false.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_tsunamis

See this simple list, Japan has had quite a large recorded history of earthquakes and tsunamis.

Secondly seems like you have judged my understanding of nuclear power plants more harshly that it needed to be because even though it is preferable to transport by sea doesn't mean it's always done that way, and my argument wasn't against transporting by the sea my argument was that once the reactor vessels and its components like heat exchangers etc arrive at spot it doesn't complicate much to move them a little bit offshore , say 500 meters or such the only thing this complicates is probably expenses which is the main point of reference for business.
http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/29/009/29009815.pdf

you can read this IAEA documents about how BWR, PWR and VVER pressure vessels are transported, for example here in Europe we don't have as much good water access to each place so many vessels have been shipped by rail and trucks.
Also plants like the RBMK ones were built mostly at site because their design is such that they can be assembled mostly on site except a few larger parts like turbines and generator sets etc.I think the main reason why they are built either by large lakes and rivers like in the US or by the coastline like in Japan is simply because its easier but also because they need large cooling ponds and Japan doesn't have much of the inside the country unlike US, Russia and other places so they build them by the cost, which is surely more dangerous than building inland.Addressing your point about Chernobyl , the thing I wanted to say about Chernobyl which I think I made quite clear before is that it wasn't as much of a mistake or a flaw as it was a result of mismanagement and ill decisions, sure the reactor was much more dangerous than its western counterparts but much like an older car which is unsafer than a newer one it doesn't crash by itself but by a either deliberate or accidental mistake made by its operator, which was the case in Chernobyl, and to some extent Fukushima even though the mistake at Fukushima was a longer one and we could label it "failure to proper risk assessment"Lastly my point about marriage was not to compare deaths by divorce versus deaths by nuclear energy as that is what always comes up, it's a metaphor not a chart, all I was saying is that people make mistakes and it seems like nothing will change in the near future about that, so given the history nuclear has actually done remarkably fine and in no way I was against it , but we have ways to improve it still and we should simple because even though marriage kills more annually than nuclear power has ever but nuclear has the potential to kill more in a much shorter timeframe and leave much worse effects long term if done wrongly.

Likes russ_watters and jim hardy
girts said:
Lastly my point about marriage was not to compare deaths by divorce versus deaths by nuclear energy
But that is the point of the thread. Many fear nuclear power plants in a completely irrational way, because their fear is in no reasonable relation to the actual danger. More education could help to make the general public more aware of how small the actual risk is.

Likes russ_watters
To that i can surely agree more education would help the general public in most areas of life not to mention nuclear and maybe this is the way to go because politicians are almost always too weak and dependable on their electorate to change things radically so instead of winning their support we should simply let them folks understand what are the consequences of each energy form and then the politicians will also sing a different tune as they will have to shift if the public opinion will have shifted. Although I am not sure whether this is realistic in the timescales which we need in order to limit climate change. Maybe Chomsky is right in his deterministic analysis oh humanity's energy resources

girts said:
it doesn't complicate much to move them a little bit offshore , say 500 meters or such the only thing this complicates is probably expenses which is the main point of reference for business.

That is an unfounded statement. You do not know what info was available, or the constraints, or the risk trade-offs for a specific design change, or even if that alternative was considered or not. After-the-fact second guessing is permissible only after investigators have examined all possible evidence and interviewed all witnesses (such as after an airplane crash).

It is also bigoted to impugn the integrity of those engineers to suggests that they were motivated only by profit and not by public good. Shame on you.

girts said:
you can read this IAEA documents about how BWR, PWR and VVER pressure vessels are transported,
(transported now, not in the 1960s)

A recurring theme in this thread is that the risk of tsunami could be foreseen, and that it was irresponsible to not do everything possible to eliminate the risk. Some people today think that sea level rise due to global warming is foreseeable. To be responsible and to eliminate possible risk, should we not start now to depopulate all the shaded areas in the maps below? I say no; that would be ridiculous.

My point is that in real life, we balance risk taking with human cost every day, in every way, in every field. Zero risk is an extremist view.

http://geology.com/sea-level-rise/
slask.jpg

slask.jpg

Likes jim hardy
anorlunda said:
A recurring theme in this thread is that the risk of tsunami could be foreseen, and that it was irresponsible to not do everything possible to eliminate the risk. Some people today think that sea level rise due to global warming is foreseeable. To be responsible and to eliminate possible risk, should we not start now to depopulate all the shaded areas in the maps below? I say no; that would be ridiculous.

I'll second that. https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stationhome.html?id=8724580
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stationhome.html?id=8724580 and click "Sea level Trends"
sealevelKeyWest.jpg

Not quite an inch per decade? Might be another ice age in twenty one thousand years.

I wouldn't buy seaside property in Bangladesh or Pacific atolls (these are regions that get depopulated already), but Europe and the US can handle a meter (40y at the current trend) or two (80y) of sea level rise.

mfb said:
a meter (40y at the current trend)
40 ??

At 2.4 mm /year , the current rate along US east coast, a meter is 400 years.

Last edited:
Oops, forgot a zero.
The trend is expected to become nonlinear in the future, the sea level might rise as much as 2.5 meters until 2100. Here is a report, see table 5 for example. My numbers cover the worst case expected sea level rise.

Well , anorlunda, my judgment wasn't about the engineers because TEPCO the company which owned the plant is a business, engineers may make various plans each a little different, one may be safer while others may be cheaper , the final say is for the one who pays the money not the engineers as you well know.
As long as the plan chosen by TEPCO or any other company fits the safety rules it can go ahead I assume, much like in other industries , although just because a certain plan is chosen doesn't mean its the best or safest.

If the data I see on the internet serves me right the seawall at Fukushima was not even as high as the ground base for the reactors on the shore, the my question is what's the use for such a seawall in a seismically active zone?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...designed-protect-Fukushima-nuclear-plant.html
http://www.globalresearch.ca/tepco-...-protected-fukushima-from-the-tsunami/5356808
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_Nuclear_Power_Plant

Sure not academically acclaimed sources I have put here , and the dailymail link is just for photos,
anyway the seawall had probably lost some of its structural strength over the years being in a corrosive environment, also too low for a tsunami this big and the whole plant is basically at a very low elevation, now sure we can say that this is or was the best engineering result that they could have come up with in the late 60's but something tells me this was more of a compromise decision between what is considered extra safe yet technologically more challenging and expensive and what is not so safe but "fits the bill" and is cheaper.

If I build my private house I can pretty much care only about myself and my family and if a natural disaster destroys my house easily it's not that big of a deal locally yet even less globally but building infrastructure objects of high importance especially power plants of which nuclear would probably be that of highest safety requirements one would do wise to chose the more expensive yet technologically much safer way of doing things if he is located in a region which is known for problems like tsunamis for example.

As for those that say they could not anticipate such a high tsunami wave please refer to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1896_Sanriku_earthquake

The waves from this tsunami were just 1.5 meters lower than from 2011, so if this tsunami was the case it would have also destroyed Fukushima if all other variables are left the way they were at 2011, so they had a quite recent recorded history of possible danger for an inadequate seawall and/or backup generator storage location.
https://news.usc.edu/86362/fukushima-disaster-was-preventable-new-study-finds/
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/22/world/asia/22nuclear.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I'm not the biggest fan of mainstream media reporting on technical issues like nuclear power where the details are important but there is some truth behind every major article much like there is some truth in every joke.
Don't take my post as me being against physics or nuclear engineering etc , not at all , I'm interested in it and all for it , its simply that if we want to make it happen we need to pay more atention to the details and not let profit or other damaging deeds get in the way.

Capitalism may work for ordinary manufacturing and free trade but we have to be careful when it comes to private companies maintaining nuclear power reactors for profit electricity generation as in this case the profit driven state of affairs can be detrimental much like state owned huge bureaucratic apparatus was devastating for the state of affairs in Chernobyl.

Likes nikkkom
also if I may add, speaking about bureaucracy , so it happens to be that I am planning a visit to Chernobyl, not as much to the town as for the power plant itself, let's just say I'm fairly familiar with dealing with things like these, now some time ago I was in some other power plants that are located in Europe, both nuclear and hydro,
the thing I wanted to highlight is that the difference for example in the state of affairs between EU and Ukraine for example is breathtaking, where in EU everyone gave me clear information and knew their deal when I was contacting them, in Ukraine it feels like there is a rather large misunderstanding between regulatory bodies and government agencies, as I am contacting them one agency is telling me I need to do this another one is contradicting that 180 degrees out of phase so to speak.
Ask anyone that has dealt with these tings they will tell you the same.

So be it no surprise to anyone that back in 1986 some night shift personnel decided to go against some strict "DON'T DO THIS" rules in order to fill a good report for the director and local leaders to get their sympathy.https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465087752/?tag=pfamazon01-20
By the way I recommend this book, a very interesting read, especially as it portrays the human side behind the tragic events and the characters of those in charge, sometimes even to the point of facial expressions which tells you a lot and paints a good picture of some of the main folks and their character and attitude towards things.I think it would be fair to say that from a technological point of view nuclear might even be the safest of all industries both civil and military, it seems that the bad word to it has been largely given by those who either are not up to their task or those who are willing to "cut corners" in order to achieve some financial or other gains, sadly in a real world we must account for these obstacles since people make mistakes both accidentally and willfully and also the safety and regulatory standards differ a lot from country to country to regio

Likes nikkkom
girts said:
the final say is for the one who pays the money not the engineers as you well know.

Has anybody seen the safety analyses for units 5 and 6 at Fukushima ?
If they were analyzed for bigger wave height and nobody revisited 1 thru 4
then it's shame on the bureaucracy.

It is the job of engineers to make good use of their client's money , and an ethical obligation because in the end it's the public's money that pays the electric bill.

I have to believe the original design guys were unaware of that 1896 tsunami
but if they were aware of it and got overruled, well there you have your culprit.

Separating wheat from chaff is a process of judgement by humans and an occasional grain slips out with the chaff. That's why we have huge staffs that play "What If" and evaluate probabilistic risk.
It is the job of executives to make good use of their customers' money, especially in a utility where they have a monopoly it's an ethical duty. In return for that monopoly you MUST give the public good value.
Executives cannot keep up with every nitty gritty design detail they must rely on staff to give them facts upon which to base decisions.

If you insist on ascribing blame, look to those historical tsunami reports and why the PRA wasn't revised to include them
. Did they get stalled by passing the buck per "Bureaucratic Buckmastership" chapter in Parkinson's Law of Delay ?
That's what i think.
Did they get reviewed and squashed by somebody wanting to save money?
I cannot believe that, but i could believe it was somebody too insecure to pass bad news upward.

The executives i know would have wrapped a submarine hull around the electrical equipment and made doggone sure there were backups for water injection,
even if they were just giant pressure washers stored up on the hill.
They'd just need to be apprised, and credibly .

What we had over there was a failure to communicate.

old jim

Likes Astronuc