Efficient Venturi Tube Calibration for Digital Peak Flowmeters | Thesis Design

In summary, the current error rate for a digital peak flowmeter is about 12.3%. Theoretical 610L/min vs experimental 535L/min.
CadisEtramaDiRaizel
I've designed a venturi tube for my thesis ( Design of a digital peak flowmeter). I was wondering if there was a way to calibrate the flowrate, without using a measured flowrate producing device. The current error is about 12.3%. Theoretical 610L/min vs experimental 535L/min.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bucket

Likes CWatters
CadisEtramaDiRaizel said:
Theoretical 610L/min vs experimental 535L/min.

Big bucket.

Likes Nidum
CWatters said:
Big bucket.
But it's airflow, wouldn't the nature of the fluid ( being water or any other liquid) impact calibration?

CadisEtramaDiRaizel said:
I've designed a venturi tube for my thesis ( Design of a digital peak flowmeter). I was wondering if there was a way to calibrate the flowrate, without using a measured flowrate producing device. The current error is about 12.3%. Theoretical 610L/min vs experimental 535L/min.
Forgot to add, that it's used to check asthma parameters

What did you use to calculate the current error rate?

So you compared the flow rate recorded by your new digital peak flowmeter with the flow rate measured by another device and recorded on a chart?

How do you know which is more accurate?

Google found..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2882540/

"Comparison of five portable peak flow meters"

From the Results..

"The percent error for the spirometric values for each meter was 5.1% for Air Zone®, 1.9% for Assess®, 11.2% for Galemed®, 6.5% for Personal Best® and 3.0% for Vitalograph®."

CWatters said:
So you compared the flow rate recorded by your new digital peak flowmeter with the flow rate measured by another device and recorded on a chart?

How do you know which is more accurate?

Google found..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2882540/

"Comparison of five portable peak flow meters"

From the Results..

"The percent error for the spirometric values for each meter was 5.1% for Air Zone®, 1.9% for Assess®, 11.2% for Galemed®, 6.5% for Personal Best® and 3.0% for Vitalograph®."
Then how do I calibrate my results? Thanks

Related to Efficient Venturi Tube Calibration for Digital Peak Flowmeters | Thesis Design

1. What is approximate calibration?

Approximate calibration is a method used in scientific measurement to determine the accuracy of a measurement or instrument. It involves comparing the measurement or instrument to a known standard to determine the level of error or uncertainty.

2. Why is approximate calibration important?

Approximate calibration is important because it ensures the accuracy and reliability of scientific measurements. It allows scientists to identify and correct any errors or uncertainties in their data, making their results more trustworthy.

3. How is approximate calibration performed?

Approximate calibration is performed by comparing the measurement or instrument to a known standard. The difference between the measurement and the standard is then used to calculate the level of error or uncertainty.

4. What are some common examples of approximate calibration?

Some common examples of approximate calibration include calibrating thermometers, balances, and spectrophotometers. In these cases, the instruments are compared to a known standard, such as a standardized temperature or weight, to determine their accuracy.

5. How often should approximate calibration be performed?

The frequency of approximate calibration depends on the specific instrument and its intended use. Generally, it is recommended to perform calibration at regular intervals or before each use to ensure the accuracy of the instrument's measurements.