Electric Discharge acts as in LC Circuits?

In summary: Although they used spark gaps, the main difference was that the discharge was not self-sustaining, so the oscillations would stop after a while.
Samson4
For the most part, do electric discharges behave as tank circuits? For example, an air capacitor; when the electric field causes the air to breakdown and conduct, will the discharge alternate at a frequency defined by the inductance of the plasma channel and the capacitance of the capacitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Samson4 said:
For the most part, do electric discharges behave as tank circuits? For example, an air capacitor; when the electric field causes the air to breakdown and conduct, will the discharge alternate at a frequency defined by the inductance of the plasma channel and the capacitance of the capacitor?
I don't think so. Many discharges are DC in nature...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc

Wait, I've come to understand that discharges oscillate. For example, lightning.

Samson4 said:
Wait, I've come to understand that discharges oscillate. For example, lightning.
Can you post a technical reference that describes that?

Oh wow, just found where I learned that from. Here you go, is quite old:
Discharge Oscillatory The sudden or disruptive discharge of a static condenser such as a Leyden jar or of many other charged conductors is oscillatory in character The direction of the currents rapidly changes so that the discharge is really an alternating current of excessively short total duration The discharge sends electro magnetic waves through the ether which are exactly analogous to those of light but of too long period to affect the eye.

https://books.google.com/books?id=O...onepage&q=leyden disruptive discharge&f=false

Even though the author is referring to the ether, doesn't mean he is wrong about the alternating nature of disruptive discharges. I had a hard time finding anything else. Can you post a technical reference that describes discharges to be dc?

Yoiks, that is really old! Can you read some more modern explanations of lightning? It's mainly a DC discharge, but there are certainly high-frequency components due to discontinuities in the discharge.

Likes Samson4
Yeah haha I know. Can't believe I held on to that information for so long.

I don't understand why it wouldn't oscillate. The only difference between a electric discharge and a tank circuit is the location of the inductor. Unless the magnetic fields produced by plasma channels do not exhibit the same resistance to change that magnetic fields around coils do, shouldn't it oscillate? Where is my understanding going foul?

Samson4 said:
Yeah haha I know. Can't believe I held on to that information for so long.

I don't understand why it wouldn't oscillate. The only difference between a electric discharge and a tank circuit is the location of the inductor. Unless the magnetic fields produced by plasma channels do not exhibit the same resistance to change that magnetic fields around coils do, shouldn't it oscillate? Where is my understanding going foul?
For one, you forget the resistive component. You have oscillations only when the damping is subcritical.

Likes Samson4
Thank you both for your responses.

Related to Electric Discharge acts as in LC Circuits?

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel. It is also known as a resonant circuit because it can store and release energy at a specific resonant frequency.

2. How does electric discharge act in LC circuits?

Electric discharge in an LC circuit occurs when the stored energy in the capacitor is released through the inductor. This discharge creates a current that oscillates back and forth between the two components at the resonant frequency.

3. What is the role of the inductor and capacitor in an LC circuit?

The inductor and capacitor have opposite roles in an LC circuit. The inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. Together, they create a self-sustaining oscillation of energy in the circuit.

4. How does the frequency of the electric discharge in an LC circuit depend on the values of the inductor and capacitor?

The frequency of the electric discharge in an LC circuit is determined by the values of the inductor and capacitor. A higher inductance or capacitance will result in a lower frequency, while a lower inductance or capacitance will result in a higher frequency.

5. What are some practical applications of LC circuits?

LC circuits have many practical applications, such as in radio receivers, wireless communication systems, and electronic filters. They are also used in electronic devices such as televisions, computers, and cell phones to regulate and filter electrical signals.