In summary: Thanks for the clarification. So in short, we cannot simply take the y-component seen in a) and use it for b) because the contribution from each dq will vary as the field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point of interest and the dq.In summary, the electric field at point (L/2,D) cannot be determined simply by taking the y-component of the field at point (0,D) as the contributions from each dq would vary due to the inverse square law. Instead, the field must be calculated separately using the given equations and taking advantage of symmetry to simplify the integration process.
Jabbar

Homework Statement

https://gyazo.com/d502fb408d6224ffa70700cf047bad20 (link to problem: #4).
upload_2016-9-22_22-4-21.png

[moderator edit: Image inserted for clarity]
A total charge Q is distributed uniformly over rod length L. The rod is aligned on the x-axis, with one end at the origin and the other at point x=L.
a) calculate electric field at a point (0,D)
b) field at point (L/2,D)

Homework Equations

E=Kq/r^2
q = lambda*length

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the answer to letter a. However, I deduce that for b), the answer will only be the y-component of that found in a) as the x one cancel out. However, this is not the case as the answer key shows.

Thus, I tried doing the calculations and I still arrive at the y-component found in a).

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jabbar, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Please show the details of your calculations.

Likes Jabbar
Part b is very much like part a if you consider sliding the rod halfway to the left

Jabbar said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 106377
A total charge Q is distributed uniformly over rod length L. The rod is aligned on the x-axis, with one end at the origin and the other at point x=L.

Homework Equations

E=Kq/r^2
q = lambda*length

I was able to find the answer to letter a. However, I deduce that for b), the answer will only be the y-component of that found in a) as the x one cancel out. However, this is not the case as the answer key shows.

Thus, I tried doing the calculations and I still arrive at the y-component found in a).

Thanks
How do your results for the x component compare in parts (a) and (b) ?

Likes Jabbar
Jabbar said:

Homework Statement

https://gyazo.com/73616d3f59649b888b3aa465ec850bf7 (Correct Answers to problem: #4).
View attachment 106377

Homework Equations

E=Kq/r^2
q = lambda*length

I was able to find the answer to letter a. However, I deduce that for b), the answer will only be the y-component of that found in a) as the x one cancel out. However, this is not the case as the answer key shows. I then also calculated it manually and still got the y-component found in a)

b)

Thus, I tried doing the calculations and I still arrive at the y-component found in a) :

dE=k*dq/r^2

dE=k*dq/r^2

dE=k*dq/r^2

dE=k*dq/(x^2+D^2)

dEy=k*dq/(x^2+D^2) *sin theta

dEy=(k*dx*lambda)/((x^2+D^2)^3/2)

taking the integral from 0 to L I get: Ey= k*lambda*D* [x/D^2*sqrt(x^2+D^2)]

Ey= k*lambda*L/D*sqrt(x^2+D^2)

Thanks
gneill said:
Hi Jabbar, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Please show the details of your calculations.

Can you explain what you used to substitute for sin(θ)? I'd expect to see a 'D' in the numerator as a result of the substitution.

Since the x-components cancel by symmetry, if you slide the rod to the left so that its center point is at the origin and half the rod is to the left of the origin and half to the right (this was suggested previously by @andrevdh) then you can take further advantage of symmetry and integrate from x = 0 to x = L/2. Just multiply the result by two.

Does the answer key solution keep the charge density as λ or does it insert Q/L for it?

Likes Jabbar
This is my theta.

For the second part, yeah I see that if I do that I can integrate quite easily from either -L/2 to L/2 or "x = 0 to x = L/2. Just multiply the result by two". Thanks for the insight.

I just don't know why what I'm doing is wrong. Moreover, why can't I say that its electric field will be equal to the y-component found in a). It feels logical to me. I'd really like to understand the concept :( .

Thanks

Attachments

• 14747514353475.png
    14747514353475.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 662
  • 14747514353475.png
    14747514353475.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 688
This is clearer image to compared to what I attached previously
@gneill

Attachments

• 14747519573604.png
    14747519573604.png
    3 KB · Views: 475
Jabbar said:
I just don't know why what I'm doing is wrong. Moreover, why can't I say that its electric field will be equal to the y-component found in a). It feels logical to me. I'd really like to understand the concept :( .
Consider that the field strength due to some dq on the rod varies inversely with the square of the distance between the point of interest and the dq. Then consider the average distance of the dq's in each case. Which case should have a larger sum of contributions?

gneill said:
Consider that the field strength due to some dq on the rod varies inversely with the square of the distance between the point of interest and the dq. Then consider the average distance of the dq's in each case. Which case should have a larger sum of contributions?

It's going to stay the same no? As the distance the two points have to dq are the same.

Jabbar said:
It's going to stay the same no? As the distance the two points have to dq are the same.
Consider the two cases:
upload_2016-9-24_17-57-12.png

The average line distances up to the midpoint in the first case are the same as those on both sides of the point of interest in the second case. After the midpoint in the first case every distance is longer than any distance in the second case.

gneill said:
Consider the two cases:
View attachment 106442
The average line distances up to the midpoint in the first case are the same as those on both sides of the point of interest in the second case. After the midpoint in the first case every distance is longer than any distance in the second case.
Oh alright, so the Electric field at that point in a) will be smaller than in b) since for dqs' on the rod... the first case will have dqs' with a greater distance r. right?

Jabbar said:
Oh alright, so the Electric field at that point in a) will be smaller than in b) since for dqs' on the rod... the first case will have dqs' with a greater distance r. right?
Right. More of the charge is further away.

Likes Jabbar
gneill said:
Right. More of the charge is further away.
Thanks you very much! and just for my calculation mistake. Is it just that it is better to have the point of interest along one axis to do a problem. Because won't changing the axis affect my results? I can't possible change my axis mid problem no?

Thanks

Jabbar said:
Thanks you very much! and just for my calculation mistake. Is it just that it is better to have the point of interest along one axis to do a problem. Because won't changing the axis affect my results? I can't possible change my axis mid problem no?

Thanks
In this problem they're asking for the electric field which is a vector quantity: As long as you don't rotate the axes it won't change the result.

Likes Jabbar

Related to Electric field due to a charged rod

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged object and exerts a force on other charged objects within its vicinity.

How is an electric field affected by a charged rod?

A charged rod creates an electric field in the space surrounding it. The strength and direction of the electric field depend on the magnitude and polarity of the charge on the rod.

What factors affect the strength of an electric field due to a charged rod?

The strength of an electric field due to a charged rod is affected by the distance from the rod, the magnitude of the charge on the rod, and the surrounding medium's permittivity.

How can the direction of an electric field due to a charged rod be determined?

The direction of the electric field can be determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed at a certain point in the field. The direction is always away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

Can the electric field due to a charged rod be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field due to a charged rod can be manipulated by changing the distance or charge of the rod, or by introducing other charged objects into the field. Additionally, the direction of the electric field can be changed by adjusting the position and polarity of the charged rod.