Electrical Eng. (specialized in Telecom) vs Telecom. Eng.

• Thread starter demian123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, Electrical Engineering with a specialization in Telecom focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of telecommunication systems and equipment, while Telecom Engineering deals with the design, implementation, and management of communication networks and systems. Someone with an Electrical Engineering degree specialized in Telecom can work as a Telecom Engineer, but may need additional knowledge and skills. Both degrees are in high demand in the job market, with Electrical Engineering with a specialization in Telecom being more sought after in industries heavily using telecommunication systems, and Telecom Engineering being more in demand in industries dealing with communication networks. A Telecom Engineer can also work in the field of Electrical Engineering with additional knowledge and skills. In terms of salary and career growth, both degrees offer good prospects and potential for growth in
demian123
I recently got my Bachelor degree on Electrical Engineering and want to specialize in Telecommunications.
My question is how could I become competitive against a Telecom. Engineer?
Since I just have a very theoretical knowledge about analog and digital communications. What practical stuff should I start learning to become useful in real world?

I would appreciate your experiences and thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you'll get some on the job training. I would beef up my computer science skills.

Related to Electrical Eng. (specialized in Telecom) vs Telecom. Eng.

1. What is the difference between Electrical Eng. (specialized in Telecom) and Telecom. Eng.?

Electrical Engineering with a specialization in Telecom focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of telecommunication systems and equipment. Telecom Engineering, on the other hand, is a broader field that deals with the design, implementation, and management of communication networks and systems, including both wired and wireless technologies.

2. Can someone with an Electrical Eng. (specialized in Telecom) degree work as a Telecom Engineer?

Yes, someone with an Electrical Engineering degree specialized in Telecom can work as a Telecom Engineer. However, they may need to acquire additional knowledge and skills in the broader aspects of Telecom Engineering to effectively perform their job.

3. Which degree is more in demand in the job market, Electrical Eng. (specialized in Telecom) or Telecom. Eng.?

Both degrees are in high demand in the job market, but the specific demand may vary depending on the industry and job market. Electrical Engineering with a specialization in Telecom may be more in demand in industries that heavily use telecommunication systems, such as telecommunications, broadcasting, and satellite communication. Telecom Engineering may be more in demand in industries that deal with the design and management of communication networks, such as IT, finance, and manufacturing.

4. Can a Telecom Engineer work in the field of Electrical Engineering (specialized in Telecom)?

Yes, a Telecom Engineer can work in the field of Electrical Engineering with a specialization in Telecom. They may need to acquire additional knowledge and skills in specific areas of Electrical Engineering, such as circuit design and power systems, to effectively perform their job.

5. Is one degree better than the other in terms of salary and career growth?

The salary and career growth for both degrees may vary depending on the industry, job market, and individual skills and experience. However, both degrees offer good career prospects and potential for growth in the field of telecommunications and related industries.