Electricity and magnetism books

In summary: Yes, every single one of them. Unless you're specifically looking for a reference book, you're best off not bothering with any of them. You're joking right? Griffiths is a joke compared to Purcell. The exercises in Griffiths are trivial in comparison. Clearly Jackson is harder, it's one of the most notorious first year graduate texts out there. OP, if you aren't doing the exercises, then every physics book that isn't solely a reference book is completely and utterly... useless. Yes, every single one of them. Unless you're specifically looking for a reference book, you're best off not bothering with any of them.In summary, a physics book on electricity and magnetism recommends the
Miike012
Can someone recommend a physics book on electricity and magnetism? The book that I just finished reading for my class was

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0971313458/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The book above hardley mentioned vectors and I am looking for a book that explains all the concepts in terms of vectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let me give you the most unoriginal recommendations ever (although the best, to my knowledge).

Griffiths - Introduction to Electrodynamics
Purcell - Electricity and Magnetism

Read the reviews in the PF textbook section.

I notice that your book is for algebra/trig based physics. Have you learned calculus yet?

jasonRF said:
I notice that your book is for algebra/trig based physics. Have you learned calculus yet?

Sorry I posted the wrong one. There is a calc. version of the book that I posted. I've been through multi var. calc.

So please post calculus based physics books

Astrum said:
Well, let me give you the most unoriginal recommendations ever (although the best, to my knowledge).

Griffiths - Introduction to Electrodynamics
Purcell - Electricity and Magnetism

Read the reviews in the PF textbook section.

I am currently reading from Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell. It's much more informative than my school textbook but I'm finding it to easy. I want something more indepth in theory.

Miike012 said:
Sorry I posted the wrong one. There is a calc. version of the book that I posted. I've been through multi var. calc.

So please post calculus based physics books

I just deleted my long post since I saw this one. If you have all these, my suggestion is https://www.amazon.com/Electromagnetics-Engineers-Fawwaz-T-Ulaby/dp/0131497243/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377381806&sr=1-4&keywords=ulaby

This is the simplest and a very good book about electromagnetics. Griffiths is a very good book, but it is for physics major and is quite difficult for self study. Ulaby is an engineering electromagnetic textbook used by San Jose State for their EM class for EE. This is my first book when I self studied EM.

Don't be fool when I said it's the easiest book, there is no easy electromagnetics! It is just not as hard as Griffiths and https://www.amazon.com/Field-Wave-Electromagnetics-David-Cheng/dp/0201128195/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377382136&sr=1-1&keywords=david+cheng.

Miike012 said:
I am currently reading from Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell. It's much more informative than my school textbook but I'm finding it to easy. I want something more indepth in theory.

Although I myself have never looked at Purcell in depth, from the information I gather, Purcell is not an easy text. I'm guessing you haven't been through any of the exercises, are you skipping them?!

Astrum said:
Although I myself have never looked at Purcell in depth, from the information I gather, Purcell is not an easy text. I'm guessing you haven't been through any of the exercises, are you skipping them?!

Yes I am skipping the exercises. I'm just reading the book to gain a better understanding of the concepts and theory.

To be honest, I don't have the time to devote to both reading the book and doing the problems because I have higher priorities in the classes that I'm enrolled into. I am not actually enrolled into the physics class I'm just trying to gain a better understanding when I have the time.

Last edited:
Miike012 said:
Yes I am skipping the exercises. I'm just reading the book to gain a better understanding of the concepts and theory.

But... the exercises are there for that reason exactly...

Astrum said:
APurcell is not an easy text.
Purcell is quite easy than Griffiths and so on Griffiths is easier than Jackson.

Suggestion for OP, do Mary L Boas Mathematical Methods books along with Purcell and don't skip any problems if you are skipping. Purcell is Lower Undergrad book while Griffiths is upper undergrad.

Amrita-Singh said:
Purcell is quite easy than Griffiths and so on Griffiths is easier than Jackson.
You're joking right? Griffiths is a joke compared to Purcell. The exercises in Griffiths are trivial in comparison. Clearly Jackson is harder, it's one of the most notorious first year graduate texts out there.

OP, if you aren't doing the exercises, then every physics book that isn't solely a reference book is completely and utterly useless.

WannabeNewton said:
You're joking right? Griffiths is a joke compared to Purcell. The exercises in Griffiths are trivial in comparison. Clearly Jackson is harder, it's one of the most notorious first year graduate texts out there.

OP, if you aren't doing the exercises, then every physics book that isn't solely a reference book is completely and utterly useless.

Ok I'll do the problems. The book by jackson is one of the best in your opinion? Where can I find it?

Miike012 said:
Ok I'll do the problems. The book by jackson is one of the best in your opinion? Where can I find it?

I second Astrums Griffiths suggestion. JD Jackson will kick your butt (in a good way). They are referencing Classical Electrodynamics By John David Jackson. You can find it on amazon.

Miike012 said:
Not in my opinion no, I personally dislike the book (it does a lot of mathematics but in a completely non-rigorous way which I personally hate) but if you like it and find it of use then go for it. I personally think Griffiths and/or Purcell would be more useful if you think your current book or books like Halliday and Resnick are too easy for you.

Yes it is. Be forewarned (although I can't speak from experience, since I have not worked from it ..yet. But I do own Griffiths) As wannabeNewton says it has a reputation for being very difficult.

My suggestion was based on my university curriculum. I am in 2 semester Mechanical Engineering and recommended text is Purcell with Mary L Boas mathematical Methods while my seniors of 5th Semester are have recommendation of Griffiths with Courant and Hilber Mathematical Physics. and clearly Jackson is recommended in Graduate Studies.

So I have rated
Purcell < Griffiths < Jackson

Miike012 said:

I am very confused, your first post want something more than the algebra based physics book, now you talk about JD Jackson?! This is a very difficult book used in graduate program. I think you better tell people where you are at, what year are you in. You completed ODE and PDE yet? Jumping from an algebra based physics to any of the EM books is a huge jump, a very huge jump. Even going to Ulaby is a huge jump already. I studied PDE and Green's function, I still have a hell of a time reading Jackson.

I did suggested Field and Wave by David Cheng. It is a very good book, more difficult than Ulaby. I know a lot of colleges using this book. For undergrad, if you can study and work through the problems of Griffiths and Cheng, you should be very strong in EM. Engineering EM book like Ulaby and Cheng are quite different from physics base book like Griffiths. Engineering EM books put a lot more stress in wave propagation, transmission lines. Griffiths has a lot more in the materials, and explanation of the Maxwell's formulas. Another way to look at it is Griffiths is strong in the first 6 to 7 chapters and lighter on propagation and none in transmission lines and almost none in cavity. That's where Cheng pick up on the last few chapters.

I have Ulaby, Cheng and Griffiths, they are all excellent books, I study all three and work through a lot of the problems. Until you work on the problems, you cannot judge how much you know and understand. I use Ulaby to get my feet wet. Then studied Cheng pretty from cover to cover. I still don't feel quite comfortable. Finally studied Griffiths, I feel more more comfortable in this subject...That is...until I start studying Antenna theory!:eek: Now back to more calculus, PDE, Green's function, polarization and all the good stuffs. Now I have no choice to peek into Jackson.

Last edited:
BrettJimison said:
Yes it is. Be forewarned (although I can't speak from experience, since I have not worked from it ..yet. But I do own Griffiths) As wannabeNewton says it has a reputation for being very difficult.

Griffiths is quite easy to read, but the problems are something else. I worked through the problems in chapter 10 and 11, that was something. You definitely get very good in vector calculus after that.

BTW, by easy to read, I meant Griffiths explained the basics in very detail, you take the time, you'll understand the topics. The down fall of a lot of engineering EM books is they try to make it simple in the first few chapters and try to jump to the EM wave propagation and transmission lines where they are important for EE. Too short and simplified way to explain at the beginning turn out to be harder to understand and hard to follow. When I pickup Griffiths and read the first few chapters, it's like a light bulb lighted up in my head. That's the reason I always said people need to study Griffiths and one of the EE EM books to get the complete picture.

Last edited:
yungman said:
I am very confused, your first post want something more than the algebra based physics book, now you talk about JD Jackson?! This is a very difficult book used in graduate program. I think you better tell people where you are at, what year are you in. You completed ODE and PDE yet? Jumping from an algebra based physics to any of the EM books is a huge jump, a very huge jump. Even going to Ulaby is a huge jump already. I studied PDE and Green's function, I still have a hell of a time reading Jackson.

I've taken ODE, Linear algebra, differential/integral/multi var calculus and calculus based physics.
I added an attachment of the book I am currently reading. I personally don't like the book.

Attachments

• BOOK.jpg
    BOOK.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 751
Miike012 said:
I've taken ODE, Linear algebra, differential/integral/multi var calculus and calculus based physics.
I added an attachment of the book I am currently reading. I personally don't like the book.

I can't open the attachment for what ever reason. If you taken ODE and multi variables, you should be ready for the three EM book I was talking about.

Are you enroll in a college or are you studying on your own for the interest? If you study on your own, with the math you have, I think you can jump into Cheng and Griffiths. It will not be a cake walk, but you'll manage. I would strongly recommend you to have both if not more if you self study. I have more than 8 books just on this subject. Not every book explains everything good, they all have strong and weak points. Since I can't open your attachment, this is my best guess.

yungman said:
I can't open the attachment for what ever reason. If you taken ODE and multi variables, you should be ready for the three EM book I was talking about.

Are you enroll in a college or are you studying on your own for the interest? If you study on your own, with the math you have, I think you can jump into Cheng and Griffiths. It will not be a cake walk, but you'll manage. I would strongly recommend you to have both if not more if you self study. I have more than 8 books just on this subject. Not every book explains everything good, they all have strong and weak points. Since I can't open your attachment, this is my best guess.

The book that I added in the attachment is called electricity and magnetism berklely physics course - volume 2 by Edward M. Purcell.

And to be honest through out my two years of college I have successfully passed my classes with all A's on my own. I have never once taken a note in any of my classes other than from two math teachers who I actually respected. But other than that all my classes I have taught my self.
And I have already taken the class on magnetism and electriciy at my school last semester which I passed with self study. This semester I am taking my first semester of circuits and I would like to have a better understanding about electricity and magnetism because I know I will be able to gain a better understanding in my circuits class if I do.

Last edited:
Miike012 said:
The book that I added in the attachment is called electricity and magnetism berklely physics course - volume 2 by Edward M. Purcell.

And to be honest through out my two years of college I have successfully passed my classes with all A's on my own. I have never once taken a note in any of my classes other than from two math teachers who I actually respected. But other than that all my classes I have taught my self.

If you studied this book, you should be ready for Cheng and Griffiths. This seems to be like an introduction to electromagnetics.

yungman said:
If you studied this book, you should be ready for Cheng and Griffiths. This seems to be like an introduction to electromagnetics.

Honestly I haven't truelly studied the book. I've only read a few chapters and I can tell the book is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a book that explains the concepts and theory with mathematical proofs to back the claims they are making.

Miike012 said:
Honestly I haven't truelly studied the book. I've only read a few chapters and I can tell the book is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a book that explains the concepts and theory with mathematical proofs to back the claims they are making.

I don't think you can find prove that easy on Maxwell's equations. It's is a postulation that is proven to be correct. Then they pretty much invented multi-variables to support and put Maxwell's equation into calculus form. That's the reason EM is so hard, yes, you can explain the physical meaning to a certain point, but I yet to find simple explanation in English on this. It's a subject that you read over and over and read many books to see how the author presents the material in different ways. That's the reason I have at least 8 books and studied 4 times over to get the feel. This is not for the weak of hearts! I spent a few years studying 3 books, I can say I get the feel of it. I can only tell you I have been an EE and manager of EE for 30 years with a successful career and I pride myself to be quite good in learning. Maybe I am old and forgetful. It takes me a few years and I am still studying and prepare to study JD Jackson. I have seen so many EE just creep through this class to get the degree.

I scan through a few pages of your book, it is already very easy already. Try reading Griffiths a little on Amazon. That's is as good as it gets for EM books. You are not going to read it like story book! I was a chemistry major, compare this to organic, biochem and even physical chem, those are child's play!

Last edited:
verty said:
They seem to be exactly what you want.

Sorry, I should have stated this less strongly. I think you want a mathematically rigorous book that gives a unified view of the subject and uses the language of vector math throughout. I believe these books do that. So, you know, decide on a book and study it properly with exercises.

I'd not recommend a book like Schwartz that uses the imaginary-time formalism in relativity to a beginner. For electromagnetism I'd start with the Feynman Lectures Vol. II and then read books like Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, or (imho even better) Schwinger, Classical Electrodynamics.

This is one book about EM that is not very conventional. 'Introductory Electromagnetics" by Zoya Popovic and Branko D Popovic. It concentrates more on explaining than following the standard progression. I have this book also and use it as reference. I won't use it as a main book, it approaches at a somewhat different angle. Too bad you cannot "peek" into the book on Amazon and test drive it. https://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Electromagnetics-Zoya-Popovic/dp/0201326787/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377449862&sr=8-1&keywords=zoya+popovic

Try look around and see whether you get a pdf copy online.

The divergence of the field is very straight forward. I would love to find a book that explain the time varying Maxwell's curl equations in English...and I don't mean explain it in calculus.

Also if you want to, listen to the video lecture series by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGdr9WLto4A&list=PL1CE5B4FFFA997E5D

It is close to a 40 part lectures pretty much from the beginning to the end of the college EM class. Don't laugh at IIT, they a almost as high standard as MIT, it's one of the best best university in the world. Even if you find lectures from MIT, the professor likely to speak with heavy accent! I sat through at least 30 lectures already.

Last edited:
You can certainly derive Maxwell's equations just from the Coloumb force and special relativity, although it isn't a proof because you can't prove laws of physics. This is something Purcell devotes much of his text to. Griffiths is a standard text for 2nd year physics students but if you want mathematical rigor then you won't find any in Griffiths. I second vanhees' recommendation of Schwinger though, that book rocks. Also, there's Franklin: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805387331/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
WannabeNewton said:
You can certainly derive Maxwell's equations just from the Coloumb force and special relativity, although it isn't a proof because you can't prove laws of physics. This is something Purcell devotes much of his text to. Griffiths is a standard text for 2nd year physics students but if you want mathematical rigor then you won't find any in Griffiths. I second vanhees' recommendation of Schwinger though, that book rocks. Also, there's Franklin: Classical Electromagnetism: Jerrold Franklin: 9780805387339: Amazon.com: Books

I have Jerold Franklin's book, it's quite advanced for OP.

As I'm looking through the contents of the books I can tell that with my knowledge that many of the books will be to advanced. Many of the books posted cover material that I will cover in two or three semester because I am only in my first semester of circuits.
My goal is to improve on the knowledge that I have about Electricity and Magnetism. In my Electricity and Magnetism course we learned about various concepts such as electric fields, electric potential, electric current, magnetism, power, energy, and so on..

These are the subjects that I would like to have a better understanding on. Are there any books out there that cover the basic concepts in an electricity and magnetism course in a more mathematical approach?

Last edited:
AFAIK, Purcell is the best for that because the level of mathematics is no higher than vector calculus so it should be easy as far as mathematics goes but it goes very deeply into how the math fits into EM and special relativity. But you have to do the problems of course.

Like everyone else mentioned, I'd go for Purcell and Griffiths. Personally, we used Purcell as sophomores and Griffiths as juniors. Seemed to work out ok. While I did go through a most of Jackson on my own in graduate school, if you *really* get E&M at the level of Griffiths, and I mean *really* get it, then you'll know E&M better than most physics BAs and BSs.

Also like everyone else mentioned, you'll need to do the problems.