Engineering Economics - Combined return with cost to fix it?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter adamaero
  • Start date
adamaero
Homework Statement
What is the return?
Relevant Equations
NOI/(downPayment+rehab)
Say the annual return for a *used* widget producing machine is this:
`12*500/(5000+15000)` = 30%
It cost 5k for the loan to buy the machine and 15k to fix it to start.

Two years later, it is refinanced for a 30 year term. Is that initial 15k still in the denominator? What if it was refinanced two seconds later?

`12*600/(33000+15000)` = 15%

I am trying to determine the overall (average) return of an investment with a great return in the first two years, but a mediocre return for the rest of the new loan.

`(2*30% + 30*15%)/32` = 16% average

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with "discounted cash flow analysis?" Can you please list the cash flows for this investment and the times that each of these cash flows occurs?

Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with "discounted cash flow analysis?" Can you please list the cash flows for this investment and the times that each of these cash flows occurs?
Yes, this is used for commercial. I am exclusively looking at residential investments. So while it could be used for fun, an appraiser would not use it in their valuation (at least in my area).

I realized two options could be a solution. I first tried to assume the cost to fix does not improve the value. Instead I should have the value increasing 0.5:1 or even as much as 1:1. Alternatively, an ARV could be used.

Discounted cash flow is the only meaningful and valid method of evaluating an investment (in my judgment). I can see that you are not willing or are unable to make a list of cash flows vs time for the various alternatives. Sorry to hear that. If you do list the cash flows for the various alternatives, I would be pleased to evaluate the ROI for you (using continuous compounding or compounding at specified intervals). Otherwise, I'm not going to be able to help you consider alternatives using inferior methodologies..

Oh, I agree as a tool to determine a maximum allowable offer (MAO). But for the deal analysis as the question is posed it doesn't make much sense.

Evaluating ROI also does not apply in this case and especially not for the purpose of my investment strategy. All investments will be put into trusts or sold off at such a far off date that there is no use to speculate on what they will appreciate to then.

1. What is engineering economics and why is it important?

Engineering economics is a branch of economics that applies economic principles to analyze engineering problems and make decisions. It is important because it helps engineers and decision makers evaluate the financial viability of projects and make informed decisions.

2. What is combined return in engineering economics?

Combined return is a method used to evaluate the profitability of an investment by combining the rate of return on the investment with the cost to fix any potential issues or problems that may arise.

3. How is the combined return calculated?

The combined return is calculated by dividing the net present value of the investment by the initial investment cost and adding the cost to fix any potential issues. The result is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage value.

4. What is the importance of considering the cost to fix in engineering economics?

Considering the cost to fix is important because it takes into account any potential problems or risks associated with the investment. This allows for a more accurate evaluation of the project's profitability and helps decision makers make informed decisions.

5. How can engineering economics help in decision making?

Engineering economics can help in decision making by providing a framework for evaluating the financial viability of projects. It takes into account factors such as initial investment costs, maintenance costs, potential risks, and expected returns, allowing decision makers to make informed and financially sound decisions.