Entrainment Coefficient - Dynamics of Fluids

In summary, the Alpha coefficient (entrainment) is a measure of how much fluid ambient is transported along with the plume. It is determined by the viscosity between the plume and ambient fluids.
Wall
Hi all,

i ask in advance sorry for my bad english, i hope you will understand my question.

I'm studying the motion of a plume fluid in a fluid ambient, with ρ(plume) > ρ(ambient).
Afterwards there si a transport of fluid ambient as an effect of the turbolence caused by the viscosity between the two fluids.
This is, somehow, featured by the Alpha coefficient (entrainment)

My request is: can you explane to me, what physically represent this number? What i have to imagine when i want to figure out the entrainment? Wich is the formule?

Thank for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a rather niche topic within fluid mechanics. Have you tried checking out any relevant research papers or textbooks on the topic?

Hi, thanks for your reply! Yes, I did read those:

Effect of Background rotation in turbulent line plumes
http://journals.ametsoc.org/author/Fernando%2C+H+J+S and http://journals.ametsoc.org/author/Ching%2C+C+Y

Development of a point plume in the presence of background rotation
H. J. S. Fernando, R-r. Chen, and B. A. Ayotte

The motion of Turbulent thermal in the presence of background rotation

http://journals.ametsoc.org/author/Ayotte%2C+Barbara+Anne and http://journals.ametsoc.org/author/Fernando%2C+Harindra+J+S

I think i did understand what the entrainment is, but i don't its formula. I mean, i don't know its definition.

Variable-density turbulence is an active area of research and is what is occurring in the situation you outline, but the specifics of your plume situation and its related analysis are not something with which I have any experience.

I do know of one recent paper about experiments on turbulent jets with differing densities. I don't know if this work would be relevant directly to what you are doing, but perhaps it could point you in the right direction.

dx.doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2017.379

Thank you so much, and thank you for your time, it will help me for sure!

Related to Entrainment Coefficient - Dynamics of Fluids

1. What is the entrainment coefficient?

The entrainment coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that describes the rate at which a fluid entrains or mixes with another fluid or with particles. It is commonly used to study the dynamics of fluids in various fields, such as meteorology, oceanography, and engineering.

2. How is the entrainment coefficient calculated?

The entrainment coefficient is calculated by dividing the entrainment rate by the volume flux or mass flux of the entraining fluid. The entrainment rate is the change in the volume or mass of the entrained fluid over time, while the volume or mass flux is the rate at which the entraining fluid is flowing into the mixture.

3. What factors affect the entrainment coefficient?

The entrainment coefficient is affected by various factors, including the flow properties of the entraining and entrained fluids, the geometry of the mixing interface, and the relative velocities of the fluids. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and composition of the fluids may also play a role.

4. How is the entrainment coefficient used in practical applications?

The entrainment coefficient is used in practical applications to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in mixing processes, such as in chemical reactors, combustion engines, and weather systems. It is also used in designing and optimizing fluid mixing systems in industrial processes.

5. What are the limitations of the entrainment coefficient?

One limitation of the entrainment coefficient is that it is based on simplified assumptions and may not accurately represent the complex dynamics of fluids in all situations. Additionally, the entrainment coefficient may vary in different flow regimes and may not be applicable to all types of fluids. Therefore, it is essential to use caution when interpreting and applying the entrainment coefficient in practical scenarios.