Evaluation of an Integral (using contours or otherwise)

• MHB
  • Thread starter roninpro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the students were unable to find a good contour to take the integral, and were looking for help. The graduate student talked to another mathematician and found that the integral could be simplified into a binomial series. Integrating term by term, it was found to be equal to $x^3e^{-x}\sum_{n=1}^\infty e^{-nx}\,dx$.
roninpro
Hello everyone - this is my first post here since the move. I had to deal with a few engineering students yesterday; they asked me how to exactly evaluate the integral

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^\infty \frac{x^3}{e^x-1} \text{d}x\)

It looked like this integral would best be handled by treating it as complex-valued and setting up a contour so that the complex parts dropped out. However, the students did not know any complex analysis and were looking for a more elementary approach. It wasn't obvious how to do it using real integrals (and I tried to use tricks as in the evaluation of \(\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^x \text{d}x\)). I also discussed this with another graduate student, and we were actually even unable to select a decent contour to take the integral. (Though we did put it into Mathematica which computed \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi^4}{15}\).) We're basically baffled. I was hoping to find some advice about this integral here. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
roninpro said:
Hello everyone - this is my first post here since the move. I had to deal with a few engineering students yesterday; they asked me how to exactly evaluate the integral

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^\infty \frac{x^3}{e^x-1} \text{d}x\)

It looked like this integral would best be handled by treating it as complex-valued and setting up a contour so that the complex parts dropped out. However, the students did not know any complex analysis and were looking for a more elementary approach. It wasn't obvious how to do it using real integrals (and I tried to use tricks as in the evaluation of \(\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^x \text{d}x\)). I also discussed this with another graduate student, and we were actually even unable to select a decent contour to take the integral. (Though we did put it into Mathematica which computed \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi^4}{15}\).) We're basically baffled. I was hoping to find some advice about this integral here. Any help would be appreciated!
Write it as $\displaystyle\int_{0}^\infty \frac{x^3}{e^x-1} \,dx = \int_{0}^\infty \frac{x^3}{e^x(1-e^{-x})}\,dx = \int_{0}^\infty x^3e^{-x}\sum_{n=0}^\infty e^{-nx}\,dx$ (binomial series). Then (if you can justify integrating term by term) this is equal to $\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty \int_{0}^\infty x^3e^{-nx}\,dx.$

Integrate by parts several times to find that $\displaystyle \int_0^\infty x^3e^{-nx}\,dx = \frac 6{n^4}.$ The result then follows from the fact that $\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac1{n^4} = \frac{\pi^4}{90}.$

We actually originally tried to interpret the term \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{e^x-1}\) as a geometric series, but convergence was an issue. Your rearrangement fixes that issue. Thanks very much, this works for me!

With systematic application of integration by part You arrive to the general formula...

$\displaystyle \int t^{m}\ \ln ^{n} t\ dt = n!\ t^{m+1}\ \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{(-1)^{k}\ \ln^{n-k} t}{(m+1)^{k}\ (n-k)!} +c$ (1)

... and from (1) with simple steps...

$\displaystyle \zeta(n)= \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^{n}}= \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{(n-1)!} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{\ln^{n-1} t}{1-t}\ dt$ (2)

... where $\zeta(*)$ is the so called 'Riemann Zeta Function' and $n>1$. Setting in (2) $\ln t=x$ You obtain the equivalent relation...

$\displaystyle \zeta(n)= \frac{1}{(n-1)!} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{n-1}}{e^{x}-1}\ dx$ (3)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Hello! Evaluating integrals using contours can be a powerful tool, but it may not always be the most straightforward approach. In this case, it seems like the integral may be more easily evaluated using techniques from real analysis.

One possible approach is to use integration by parts. Let u = x^3 and dv = (e^x-1)^{-1} dx. Then du = 3x^2 dx and v = -ln(e^x-1). Using the integration by parts formula, we have:

\int_{0}^\infty \frac{x^3}{e^x-1} \text{d}x = \left[-x^3 \ln(e^x-1)\right]_{0}^\infty - \int_{0}^\infty -3x^2 \ln(e^x-1) \text{d}x

The first term evaluates to 0, and the second term can be simplified using the substitution u = e^x-1. This gives:

\int_{0}^\infty \frac{x^3}{e^x-1} \text{d}x = 3\int_{0}^\infty \frac{x^2}{e^x} \text{d}x = 3\int_{0}^\infty x^2 e^{-x} \text{d}x

This integral can then be evaluated using techniques from real analysis, such as integration by parts or the substitution u = -x. With some algebraic manipulation, you should be able to arrive at the result \frac{\pi^4}{15}.

I hope this helps and provides a more elementary approach for evaluating this integral. Good luck!

Related to Evaluation of an Integral (using contours or otherwise)

1. What is the purpose of evaluating an integral using contours?

Evaluating an integral using contours allows us to simplify complex integrals by transforming them into simpler, more manageable forms. This method also helps us to handle integrals that are difficult to solve using traditional methods.

2. How do you choose the contour for evaluating an integral?

The contour chosen for evaluating an integral depends on the problem at hand. Generally, we want to choose a contour that avoids singularities and makes the integrand easier to integrate. This could be a straight line, a circle, or any other shape that simplifies the integral.

3. What are the key steps involved in evaluating an integral using contours?

The key steps in evaluating an integral using contours include:

1. Choosing an appropriate contour
  2. Parametrizing the contour
  3. Expressing the integral in terms of the parametrized contour
  4. Simplifying the integral using techniques like Cauchy's Integral Formula or Residue Theorem
  5. Calculating the integral using traditional methods

4. Can you give an example of evaluating an integral using contours?

One example of evaluating an integral using contours is solving the integral of a complex function over a circular contour. By parametrizing the contour as z(t) = Re^(it), where R is the radius of the circle, we can simplify the integral and use Cauchy's Integral Formula to evaluate it.

5. What are the advantages of evaluating an integral using contours?

Evaluating an integral using contours offers several advantages, such as:

• Simplifying complex integrals
  • Handling integrals that are difficult to solve using traditional methods
  • Providing a more visual representation of the integral
  • Allowing us to use techniques like Cauchy's Integral Formula and Residue Theorem