Evaluation of definite integral

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for solving the integral $\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}cos(kx)dx$ with $k>0$. One approach involves using complex integration and integrating $e^{-z^2}$ over the boundary of a rectangle. Another method involves using the Laplace Transform. Ultimately, it is shown that the integral can be solved by integrating over the upper half plane.
pantboio
I'm struggling for a long time to solve this integral
$$\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}cos(kx)dx$$
with $k>0$

I know there are a number of ways, but I'm interested in using complex integration. In particular, I believe that we can solve by integrating $e^{-z^2}$ over the boundary of the rectangule $[-R,R]\times[0,h]$ for a suitable $h$.
What $h$ do you think i should use?

Physics news on Phys.org
pantboio said:
with $k>0$

I know there are a number of ways, but I'm interested in using complex integration. In particular, I believe that we can solve by integrating $e^{-z^2}$ over the boundary of the rectangule $[-R,R]\times[0,h]$ for a suitable $h$.
Personally I wouldn't use the rectangle. I'd note that the integrand is even so
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{-z^2}cos(kz)~dz = \frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^2}cos(kz)~dz[/tex]
and integrate over the upper half plane. (The circular part goes to zero by Jordan's lemma.)

-Dan

pantboio said:
with $k>0$

A very comfortable way is the use of the Laplace Transform, using the relation...

$\displaystyle \mathcal{L} \{e^{- t^{2}}\}= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}\ e^{\frac{s^{2}}{4}}\ \text{erfc} (\frac{s}{2})$ (1)

... obtaining...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{- t^{2}} \cos k t\ dt = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}\ e^{- \frac{k^{2}}{4}}\ \text{Re} \{ \text{erfc} (\frac{i\ k}{2})\} = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}\ e^{- \frac{k^{2}}{4}}$ (2)

Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
my solution:
let $\gamma_R$ be the boundary of the rectangle $[-R,R]\times[0,h]$,for $h$ to determine. Let $f(z)=e^{-z^2}$. Thus
$$\oint_{\gamma_R}f(z)dz=0$$
...but we also have

$$\oint_{\gamma_R}f(z)dz=\oint_{\gamma_1}f +\oint_{\gamma2}f+\oint_{\gamma3}f+\oint_{\gamma_4}f$$
where $\gamma_1(t)=t,t\in[-R,R]$, $\gamma_2(t)=R+ti,t\in[0,h]$ ,$-\gamma_3(t)=t+hi,t\in[-R,R]$ and $-\gamma_4(t)=-R+ti,t\in[0,h]$
Hence we have

$$\oint_{\gamma_1} e^{-z^2}dz=\int_{-R}^{R}e^{-t^2}dt$$

$$\oint_{\gamma_3}e^{-z^2}dz=-\int_{-R}^{R}e^{-(t+hi)^2}dt=-e^{h^2}\int_{-R}^{R}e^{-t^2}e^{i(-2ht)}dt$$

Using the fact that sine is odd, the second integral is

$$-e^{h^2}\int_{-R}^{R}e^{-t^2}cos(2ht)dt$$

Now, settin $I_j=\oint_{\gamma_j}$ , $I$=the integral we want to compute, and choosing $h=\frac{k}{2}$ we have

$0=\int_{-R}^{R}e^{-t^2}dt +I_2+I_4-e^{\frac{k^2}{4}}\int_{-R}^{R}e^{-t^2}cos(kt)dt$

Claim: $I_2$ and $I_4$ go to zero for $r$ going to infinite. If so, passing to the limit i get

$$\sqrt\pi-e^{\frac{k^2}{4}}I=0$$
from which
$I=\frac{\sqrt\pi}{2}e^{-\frac{k^2}{4}}$
So we are left to prove:
1)$I_2$ and $I_4$ tends to zero as $R\rightarrow\infty$

2)$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-t^2}dt=\sqrt{\pi}$

Last edited:
pantboio said:
with $k>0$

First: why k > 0 ?

second : I will try to solve it and confirm your result , which is surely correct .

[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}cos(kx)dx[/tex]

I will use the substitution [tex] x^2 = t[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-t}\frac{cos(k\sqrt{t})}{2\sqrt{t}}dt[/tex][tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-t}\, \frac{\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\, \frac{(-1)^n(k\sqrt{t})^{2n}}{(2n)!}}{2\sqrt{t}}dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_0^\infty e^{-t}\, \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(-1)^n k^{2n}t^{n-\frac{1}{2}}}{(2n)!}\,dt[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(-1)^n k^{2n}}{(2n)!}\,\int_0^\infty e^{-t}t^{n-\frac{1}{2}}\, \,dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(-1)^n k^{2n}\Gamma{(n+\frac{1}{2})}}{(2n)!}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(-1)^n k^{2n}\frac{2^{1-2n}\sqrt{\pi}\Gamma{(2n)}}{\Gamma{(n)}}}{(2n)!}\,[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{2\sqrt{\pi}(-k^2)^{n}\Gamma{(2n)}}{4^n(2n)!\Gamma{(n)}}\, \,[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{2\sqrt{\pi}(-k^2)^{n}(2n-1)!}{(2n)4^n(2n-1)!(n-1)!}\, \,[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{\sqrt{\pi}(-\frac{k^2}{4})^{n}}{(n!)}\, \,= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}e^{-\frac{k^2}{4}}[/tex]

Clearly we don't need the condition k>0 !

topsquark said:
Personally I wouldn't use the rectangle. I'd note that the integrand is even so
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{-z^2}cos(kz)~dz = \frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^2}cos(kz)~dz[/tex]
and integrate over the upper half plane. (The circular part goes to zero by Jordan's lemma.)

-Dan

How , would you please illustrate ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
How , would you please illustrate ?
Let's take a contour such that we include the whole real axis (from -infinity to infinity) and close it off with a semi-circle going from infinity to -infinty. Of course we really have a half-circle with radius R and we take the limit of R as it goes to infinity at the end.

So the integral will be composed of two parts: the real line and the semi-circle. So we have:

[tex]\int_c = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} + \int_{R} = 2 \pi i \sum \text{residues in upper half plane}[/tex]

The nice thing about this is that the integral over the semi-circle goes to zero by Jordan's Lemma. So all you are left with calculating the residues in the upper half plane.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Let's take a contour such that we include the whole real axis (from -infinity to infinity) and close it off with a semi-circle going from infinity to -infinty. Of course we really have a half-circle with radius R and we take the limit of R as it goes to infinity at the end.

So the integral will be composed of two parts: the real line and the semi-circle. So we have:

[tex]\int_c = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} + \int_{R} = 2 \pi i \sum \text{residues in upper half plane}[/tex]

The nice thing about this is that the integral over the semi-circle goes to zero by Jordan's Lemma. So all you are left with calculating the residues in the upper half plane.

-Dan

Well, that is not completely correct , first you have to prove that the integral over the semi-circle is zero . Second, the function $e^{-z^2}\cos(kz) $ is entire that means if we enclose it by any simply-connected contour the integral is zero . Actually there are no residues since the function has no singularities so if what you are implying is correct then $\int_c = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} +0 =0$ that means the integral is equal to zero !

ZaidAlyafey said:
Well, that is not completely correct , first you have to prove that the integral over the semi-circle is zero . Second, the function $e^{-z^2}\cos(kz) $ is entire that means if we enclose it by any simply-connected contour the integral is zero . Actually there are no residues since the function has no singularities so if what you are implying is correct then $\int_c = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} +0 =0$ that means the integral is equal to zero !
Hmmmm...maybe I need to brush up on Jordan's lemma.

-Dan

The integral may be rewritten as

$$ \begin{aligned} I=\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}\cos(kx) dx &= \frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\cos(kx) dx \\ &= \frac{1}{2} \text{Re} \left[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2+ikx} dx\right]\end{aligned}$$

Here, we can use the general formula

$$ \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2+bx+c}dx = \sqrt{\pi} e^{b^2/4+c}$$

with $b=ik$ and $c=0$.

$$ I =\frac{1}{2} \text{Re} \left[\sqrt{\pi} e^{-k^2/4}\right] = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} e^{-k^2/4}$$

The formula, I have used can be proved in the following manner:

$$
\begin{aligned}
\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2+bx+c}dx &= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp \left\{{-\left( x^2-bx+\frac{b^2}{4}-c-\frac{b^2}{4}\right)} \right\}dx \\
&= e^{b^2/4+c} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-(x-b/2)^2}dx \\
&= \sqrt{\pi} e^{b^2/4+c}
\end{aligned}
$$

The last integral has been done with the substitution $t=x-b/2$.

sbhatnagar said:
The formula, I have used can be proved in the following manner:

$$
\begin{aligned}
\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2+bx+c}dx &= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp \left\{{-\left( x^2-bx+\frac{b^2}{4}-c-\frac{b^2}{4}\right)} \right\}dx \\
\end{aligned}
$$

This is not enough to deduce that the formula can be analytically continued to be used for b is complex .

Last edited:
sbhatnagar said:
$$
\begin{aligned}
\end{aligned}
$$

So we have the integral $ \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-(x-b/2)^2}dx$

Now if we assume that b is complex the substitution you made is a bit tricky .why ?
Assume that $b= ic $ for simplicity Re(b)=0 .
So let us make the substitution $t= x-\frac{b}{2}= x-\frac{ic}{2}$ but we know that when making a substitution this applies to the bounds of integration as well , but wait how do we do that ?
Well, the limits of integration after substitution will not still be the same so they will change.

$$\lim_{R\to \infty }\int^{R-\frac{ic}{2}}_{-R-\frac{ic}{2}}e^{-t^2}\, dt$$

Now this looks familiar in the complex plane it is an integration a long a closed rectangle contour the has and infinite width along the x-axis and a height equal to c/2 .
To solve this we apply the method that pantboio described earlier which is a contour integration .

Related to Evaluation of definite integral

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to calculate the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

2. How is a definite integral evaluated?

A definite integral is evaluated by first finding the anti-derivative of the function being integrated. This is done by using integration rules and techniques. The resulting anti-derivative is then evaluated at the upper and lower limits of the integral, with the difference between the two values being the value of the definite integral.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific upper and lower limits, while an indefinite integral does not. An indefinite integral results in a function, while a definite integral results in a numerical value. Additionally, a definite integral represents the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval, while an indefinite integral represents the general anti-derivative of a function.

4. What is the significance of the definite integral in real-world applications?

The definite integral is used to calculate the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. This has many real-world applications, such as calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to find the total distance traveled, or finding the total mass of an object given its varying density over a certain volume. It is also used in many other fields, such as economics, physics, and engineering.

5. Can definite integrals be solved without using calculus?

No, definite integrals cannot be solved without using calculus. The concept of definite integrals is based on the fundamental theorem of calculus, which is a key concept in calculus. Other methods, such as numerical integration, can be used to approximate the value of definite integrals, but the fundamental principles of calculus are still used in these methods.