Explanation of Mpemba effect for freezing of water

In summary, the Mpemba effect is a phenomenon where hot water freezes faster than cool water, given the temperature difference is not too extreme. This is believed to be caused by impurities in the water or on the surface of the containers holding the water, which act as ice nucleation sites. The effect was first observed by a student and has since been studied and documented in various experiments. However, the exact reason for this phenomenon is still unclear and requires further research.
amal
I recently came across an odd phenomenon known as Mpemba effect. It says that hot water freezes quicker than cool water provided that temperature difference is not too much. E.g. it can be, say, 30 degrees Celsius and 50 degrees Celsius but not something like 99 and 1. Unfortunately, the book did not say anything about why this happens. Can somebody tell me?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The Mpemba effect is caused by impurities in the water or on the surface of the containers holding the water. For experimental results that support this conclusion see:

“When does hot water freeze faster then cold water? A search for the Mpemba effect.” by James D. Brownridge in the American Journal of Physics # 79, (2011), 78-84.

Or

http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.3185

“Ordinary drinking water contain many harmless impurities,
which can act as ice nucleation sites, each of which have
an ice nucleation temperature, that is, the temperature at
which that site will imitate heterogeneous freezing. Still water
in a closed container will almost always supercool and
will therefore not begin freeze until its temperature falls to
the temperature of the ice nucleation site with the highest ice
nucleation temperature. Consequently, if a container of hot
water has ice nucleation sites with an ice nucleation temperature
-5.5 °C or higher than the ice nucleation site with the
highest ice nucleation temperature in the cold water, then the
hot water will freeze first. If this is not the case, the cooler
water will freeze first, and the Mpemba effect will not be
observed.”

In other words, the effect is not generally observed: it only happens under very specific conditions.

You that is correct.

Wasn't this first observed by a student doing this experiment with a refrigerator/freezer and ice cube trays?

I wonder... if you time the freezing of cold water, then time the freezing of warm water... won't the warm water more likely activate the thermostat and engage the compressor for longer periods, thus chilling the warm water "more aggressively" than when using cold water?

The proper test would be to use a sub-zero environment that is not actively temperature controlled based on the measurement of temperature (no feedback control loop to confound the test) - a freezer that is cold and powered off.

Bahama, I could see that if hot water was right in the path of the freezing air, otherwise I don't believe that would make much of a difference.

Yes you are correct, the effect was re-discovered my Mr. Mpemba when he was a student.

A “proper test” would be to test the hot and cold water samples at the same time in the same freezer while maintaining all conditions except sample temperatures as identical as possible until both samples freeze. Sure the hot water will change the conditions inside the freezer; however, both samples will experience the change and under these conditions the cooler water will cool to 0 oC first. Note: still water will usually not begin freezing at 0oC, it will supercool. The temperature to which a water sample supercools will determine how long it will take to freeze. Heating water will often lower the temperature to which it will supercool.

I have maintained samples of water at -15oC for 422 days.

I did exactly that experiment for PF a few years ago. The thread is still around somewhere...

amal said:
I recently came across an odd phenomenon known as Mpemba effect. It says that hot water freezes quicker than cool water provided that temperature difference is not too much. E.g. it can be, say, 30 degrees Celsius and 50 degrees Celsius but not something like 99 and 1. Unfortunately, the book did not say anything about why this happens. Can somebody tell me?:confused:

I believe there have been several threads that contains a number of references for this effect. Here they are again:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.3185 (J.D. Brownridge Am. J. Phys. v.79, p.78 (2011)).
http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.1381 (Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications
Volume 387, Issue 4, 1 February 2008, Pages 757-763)
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0604224 (American Journal of Physics -- January 2009 -- Volume 77, Issue 1, pp. 27)
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0512262

Zz.

Related to Explanation of Mpemba effect for freezing of water

What is the Mpemba effect?

The Mpemba effect is the phenomenon where hot water freezes faster than cold water under certain conditions.

Who discovered the Mpemba effect?

The Mpemba effect was first observed by Tanzanian student Erasto Mpemba in the 1960s. However, the effect was also noted by ancient philosophers such as Aristotle and Francis Bacon.

What causes the Mpemba effect?

The exact cause of the Mpemba effect is still debated among scientists, but there are a few theories. One theory is that hot water has less dissolved gas, which allows it to freeze faster. Another theory is that hot water has a higher rate of evaporation, which cools it down faster. There are also theories involving convection currents and supercooling.

What factors affect the Mpemba effect?

The Mpemba effect is affected by various factors such as the initial temperature of the water, the shape and material of the container, and the surrounding environment. For example, the Mpemba effect is more likely to occur in a container with a larger surface area and in a colder environment.

What are the practical applications of the Mpemba effect?

The Mpemba effect has potential practical applications in industries such as food and beverage production, where quick freezing is desirable. It can also be used in the development of more efficient cooling systems and in the study of thermodynamics and phase transitions.