Exploring Quantum Mechanics: Who is the Goldstein of QM?

In summary, the Goldstein of Quantum Mechanics is German physicist, mathematician, and philosopher David Hilbert. Hilbert's contributions to quantum mechanics include his formulation of the mathematical formalism known as Hilbert space, which is still widely used in the field today. He also proposed the famous "Hilbert's sixth problem," which called for a rigorous mathematical foundation for quantum mechanics. While not as well-known as other pioneers of quantum mechanics, Hilbert's work has had a significant impact on the development and understanding of the field.
Winzer
What Goldstein is to Classical Mechanics, who/m is to Quantum Mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Schiff.

Winzer said:
What Goldstein is to Classical Mechanics, who/m is to Quantum Mechanics?

I don't know if there is such a book.

Modern Quantum Mechanics by J. J. Sakurai,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201539292/?tag=pfamazon01-20,

is often used as a grad text, but I prefer Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development,
by Leslie Ballentine,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810227078/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

See

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=276701.

While these are excellent books, arguably better to learn from than Schiff's, they aren't the best answer to the poster's question. Goldstein:
a) was the classic American grad text for generations
b) had virtually no competition in its heyday
c) was eventually joined by numerous other excellent texts
d) now seems dated in many areas of presentation and in breadth of coverage
and now, because of c and d
e) is no longer the first choice for classes nor is necessarily the best to learn from.

I claim that only Schiff's Quantum Mechanics text mirrors all of these traits.

If you want the best book, then that's another thread!

Is it really true that modern grad students are no longer tortured with Goldstein? Next you'll tell me they don't have to face the horrors of Jackson, either.

Well, maybe it was partly wishful thinking. A quick survey shows that Princeton doesn't use Goldstein, but MIT and Harvard do.

Jackson, on the other hand, is universal (and maybe always will be?)

We used Jose and Saletan... If you want torture, these are your guys.

Oh, and to be on topic, I suppose Schiff probably is the answer to the question as stated. I can't wait for Mahan's quantum book to come out, though.

Thanks guys

Related to Exploring Quantum Mechanics: Who is the Goldstein of QM?

1. Who is the Goldstein of QM?

The Goldstein of QM refers to Herbert Goldstein, a physicist and author who wrote the widely popular textbook "Classical Mechanics" in 1950. He is known for his contributions to classical mechanics and has also made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics.

2. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles interact with each other and with energy in order to understand the fundamental laws of nature.

3. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in that it describes the behavior of particles at a subatomic level, while classical mechanics deals with larger objects. In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states at the same time and their behavior is described by probability rather than definite rules.

4. What are some applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including the development of transistors, lasers, and nuclear reactors. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies, such as semiconductors, computer memory, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

5. How does quantum mechanics impact our daily lives?

Quantum mechanics has a significant impact on our daily lives, even though we may not realize it. It helps explain how electronics and technology work, and also plays a role in chemistry and biology. Without quantum mechanics, many modern technologies and advancements would not exist.