Exploring the Hollow of a Supermassive Black Hole

In summary: Therefore, if there is a singularity above than there is also a singularity below. Matter converges towards the singularity as per the mathematical models. So long as the matter remains in the same form, ie molecules, atoms, etc., it will converge towards the singularity. It is possible that if the matter was in a different form than molecules, ie a black hole, then it would stay in that form and not converge towards the singularity.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
I read recently about supermassive black holes and how they might even have a density close to that of water! Far out. It got me thinking about the structures of black holes. Would someone be able to survive, "swimming" in the center of such a body. Of course they'd be crushed but it got me thinking.

What if a black hole, was hollow?

Let's say the material outside of the central hollow of the, say spherical, black hole was large enough to create an event horizon. What happens to those within the 'hollow' of the black hole. Let's say they got their before enough material accummulated to form an event horizon, and lived there Dyson sphere style! I'm just adding narrative here! :E

Since the gravity within such a hollow, due to the mass around it, is zero, would bodies inside the hollow feel any gravity due to the black hole, and would they expierience any dilation as a result?

As a further query to tack on at the end, when hawking radiation has 'melted' the black hole away, will everyone still be alive inside? Or will the event horizon give way to a scene from the movie Event Horizon!
Have a nice halloween!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Incidentally, I have also been interested in black holes. I am no physicist, far from it, however, from what I understand:

The notions of space and time change inside a black hole. The 3 dimensions of space disapear or have no more meaning as, according to the models, the timelines of all matter entering a BH converges towards the singularity. Not only you can you not escape from a BH once you entered, you can't move backwards, nor sideways, as there is no more "backwards" or "sideways". This also means that a person crossing the event horizon effectively dies even if it has not yet been crushed by the huge gravitational forces.

Aphex_Twin said:
Incidentally, I have also been interested in black holes. I am no physicist, far from it, however, from what I understand:

The notions of space and time change inside a black hole. The 3 dimensions of space disapear or have no more meaning as, according to the models, the timelines of all matter entering a BH converges towards the singularity. Not only you can you not escape from a BH once you entered, you can't move backwards, nor sideways, as there is no more "backwards" or "sideways". This also means that a person crossing the event horizon effectively dies even if it has not yet been crushed by the huge gravitational forces.
This applies to traditional black holes. However, he is talking about a black hole that somehow formed hollow. In other words, in some strange way the outer wall of a black hole condences, but the inside is hollow and so consists of normal spacetime. I can't think of any mechanism that could produce this. However, if in some strange way it took place, I imagine you would live in a confined three dimensional space surrounded by an event horizon. You wouldn't actually be *inside* a black hole, you would be surrounded by black hole space, and the "singularity" would be some sort of spherical construct. I doubt this is possible, however. I don't believe there would be any way to keep a black hole hollow.

Ahem... What if instead of a hollow sphere it would be a hollow torus. As I see a spinning BH (kerr?) has a singularity the shape of a torus (I don't yet understand why). Does math even cover the propreties of space inside that singularity? What if the BH were spinning on two axes?

This Black Holes were predicted by relativity yet data or confirmation is still theoretical.

Effects of massive gravity and the effects of the description of a black hole have been observed yet Hawkins variables are still obscured by data.

Basic reasoning can deduce that if matter enters than there should be an exiting if the conversion. 1+1 = -1 is not easy to comprehend.

There have been views that have noted the universe as in its ending stage en route to returning to that singularity proposed in the big bang. Both side of the time gradient of matter have been predicted and observed in particle accelerators. Both in negative and positive vectors this has been observed.

As history dictates what blinders have been fitted usually take a fresh look to reach the next level and suggestions shelve themselves until a seeker takes his chance.

Singularity can be defined by 1 and unless the fourth or mirrors are taken into account then the definition is <1.

The same question arises... How can that be?

I prefer to reason that what is above is equal to below.

Related to Exploring the Hollow of a Supermassive Black Hole

1. What is a supermassive black hole?

A supermassive black hole is a black hole that is millions or even billions of times more massive than our Sun. They can be found at the center of most galaxies, including our own Milky Way.

2. How are supermassive black holes formed?

It is believed that supermassive black holes are formed through the merging of several smaller black holes and the accretion of large amounts of gas and dust. The exact formation process is still not fully understood.

3. How do scientists explore the hollow of a supermassive black hole?

Scientists use a variety of instruments, such as telescopes and satellites, to study the effects of a supermassive black hole on its surroundings. They also use mathematical models and simulations to understand the behavior of matter and light near the event horizon of the black hole.

4. What is the event horizon of a supermassive black hole?

The event horizon of a black hole is the point of no return, beyond which the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. In the case of a supermassive black hole, the event horizon is much larger in size compared to smaller black holes.

5. Can we ever see what is inside a supermassive black hole?

No, it is currently not possible to observe the interior of a black hole as even light cannot escape from it. However, scientists continue to study and gather evidence about the behavior of matter and energy near the black hole's event horizon to gain a better understanding of these mysterious objects.