Exploring the Properties of Metric Spaces in Relation to Continuity

• I
  • Thread starter trees and plants
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the conversation discusses various properties and definitions related to metric spaces, including compactness, completeness, connectedness, and separatedness. The conversation also touches on the definition of a separated metric space and the completeness of a subset of the real numbers. It is noted that every subset of the real numbers is separable and that a subset is complete if and only if it is closed. The conversation also briefly mentions the set of complex numbers equipped with a specific metric and its properties, including being separable and complete. The conversation concludes with a discussion about a countable dense subset and its relation to the completeness of the set.
trees and plants
Hello. The questions i make here in this thread are basically about like explanations of topics on metric spaces. We know about compactness, completeness, connectedness, separatedness, total boundedness of metric spaces. I know that continuity of the real line means that it has no gaps. What could we say about the properties of the metric spaces i described above in the spirit of the description of the continuity of the real line? I am not talking about the definition which is an abstraction, i am talking about the application of the definition like above in the real line. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The connected and compact subset of the real numbers can be characterised as follows:

Connected subset of the real line = interval
Compact set = closed + bounded subset (Heine Borel theorem).

What is your definition of "separated metric space" or what do you mean when talking about separatedness?

Math_QED said:
The connected and compact subset of the real numbers can be characterised as follows:

Connected subset of the real line = interval
Compact set = closed + bounded subset (Heine Borel theorem).

What is your definition of "separated metric space" or what do you mean when talking about separatedness?
Thank you. I am sorry i made mistakes. The correct are separable and separability not what i wrote. What about completeness( if i remember correctly it is about sequences, cauchy sequences, convergence)

Last edited by a moderator:
universe function said:
Thank you. I am sorry i made mistakes. The correct are separable and separability not what i wrote. What about completeness( if i remember correctly it is about sequences, cauchy sequences, convergence)

Every subset of the reals is separable. A subset of the reals is complete if and only it is closed.

I have another question but is a little off topic I think. Is C which is the set of complex numbers equipped with the metric that is related to the norm, d(x,y)=llx-yll2=√((x1-x0)2+(y1-y2)2), where x=(x1,x2), y=(y1,y2) a metric space? Is it separable? Is it complete if and only if it is closed? Excuse me if these questions have as answer no.

universe function said:
I have another question but is a little off topic I think. Is C which is the set of complex numbers equipped with the metric that is related to the norm, d(x,y)=llx-yll2=√((x1-x0)2+(y1-y2)2), where x=(x1,x2), y=(y1,y2) a metric space? Is it separable? Is it complete if and only if it is closed? Excuse me if these questions have as answer no.

Yes, it is a metric space. It is separable. Can you think of a countable dense subset? Hint: Use density of ##\Bbb{Q}## in ##\Bbb{R}##. It is definitely complete, because ##\mathbb{R}## is complete. Asking that it is closed makes little sense because every topological space is automatically closed in itself.

Math_QED said:
Yes, it is a metric space. It is separable. Can you think of a countable dense subset? Hint: Use density of ##\Bbb{Q}## in ##\Bbb{R}##. It is definitely complete, because ##\mathbb{R}## is complete. Asking that it is closed makes little sense because every topological space is automatically closed in itself.
Thank you, perhaps the answer is that ℚ2 is dense in ℝ2? and because ℝ2 is homeomorphic to ℂ then ℚ2 is dense in ℂ?

Likes member 587159
universe function said:
Thank you, perhaps the answer is that ℚ2 is dense in ℝ2? and because ℝ2 is homeomorphic to ℂ then ℚ2 is dense in ℂ?

Yes, that's exactly it!

Math_QED said:
Yes, that's exactly it!
Oh, i answered it correctly.

• Love
Likes member 587159

Related to Exploring the Properties of Metric Spaces in Relation to Continuity

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that defines a set of objects and a distance function between those objects. The distance function, also known as a metric, measures the distance between any two objects in the set. This allows for the study of properties such as convergence, continuity, and completeness in a mathematical setting.

2. How is a metric space different from a vector space?

A metric space differs from a vector space in that it does not have the concept of vector addition and scalar multiplication. Instead, a metric space focuses on the distance between objects, while a vector space focuses on the algebraic operations of addition and multiplication.

3. What are some common examples of metric spaces?

Some common examples of metric spaces include Euclidean spaces, where the distance between two points is measured using the Pythagorean theorem, and graph metric spaces, where the distance between two vertices is measured by the length of the shortest path between them.

4. What is the importance of metric spaces in mathematics?

Metric spaces are important in mathematics because they provide a framework for studying properties of objects in a quantitative manner. They also have applications in various fields such as topology, analysis, and geometry.

5. How are metric spaces used in real-world applications?

Metric spaces are used in real-world applications such as data analysis, computer science, and physics. They can be used to measure distances between data points, analyze networks, and study the behavior of physical systems. They also have applications in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.