Exploring UIUC's "Optiverse": Can the Sphere be Creased?

• Thread starter HeavyMetal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, the video "The Optiverse" by UIUC demonstrates how a sphere can be turned inside-out without tearing, puncturing, or creasing its edges. However, there is some confusion about the restriction on creasing and whether it falls under the same premise as tearing and puncturing. Allowing creases would make the theorem trivial as the sphere can simply be pushed through itself along a great circle and tied off in a loop. This is because creasing ultimately leads to a point, which is not differentiable.
HeavyMetal
I caught a video online released by UIUC entitled "The Optiverse." Very cool video! Anyways, the idea is that a sphere can be turned inside-out under the premises that 1.) you cannot tear, puncture, or crease the edges, and 2.) that the sphere can pass through itself.

While I understand that you cannot tear or puncture the sphere -- that would defeat the point -- and that the sphere must be able to pass through itself, I do not understand why you cannot crease it. I would also imagine that creasing would fall under the list of things that would "defeat the point," but I'm just wondering if there is something unique about the crease.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that creasing is non differentiable.

Allowing creases also makes the theorem trivial Just push the sphere through itself along a great circle. This creates a loop which ties itself off.

That makes sense to me! Yes, it can't be differentiable if an increasingly tight loop ends up becoming a point. And obviously, points aren't differentiable. Thanks!

Related to Exploring UIUC's "Optiverse": Can the Sphere be Creased?

1. Can the Sphere be Creased?

The answer to this question is yes, the Sphere can be creased. In fact, the crease pattern of the Sphere has been a topic of research for mathematicians and scientists for many years.

2. What is the significance of creasing the Sphere?

Creasing the Sphere allows us to explore the concept of curvature and its relationship to crease patterns. It also has practical applications in areas such as origami and engineering.

3. How does creasing affect the structure of the Sphere?

Creasing the Sphere creates folds and ridges, which can change the overall shape and structure of the Sphere. It can also affect the distribution of curvature on the surface.

4. Are there any limitations to creasing the Sphere?

While the Sphere can be creased, there are certain limitations to consider. For example, the number and placement of creases can affect the overall structure and stability of the Sphere.

5. What can studying the crease pattern of the Sphere tell us about other shapes?

By exploring the crease pattern of the Sphere, we can gain insights into the geometry and properties of other curved shapes. This can lead to a better understanding of the world around us and potential applications in various fields.